About This Site

This site is about old, mostly-defunct dining establishments in or around the City of Los Angeles.  I set it up in 2012 and the premise then was that it would feature little articles and artifacts about restaurants where I, a lifelong resident of L.A., remembered dining.

It was not intended to be about restaurants that you went to because, among other reasons, I had no memories or observations to share about them.  Some folks either didn’t read the page where I explained that, didn’t grasp the concept or didn’t care.  Every week or so, I receive at least one vituperative e-mail from someone who is livid that I’ve omitted some favorite eatery from their past.  Some act like I made a grievous factual error; like I’d set up a blog about everyone who was ever pitched for the Dodgers and been such a lunkhead that I’d left out Sandy Koufax.  Others respond like I’ve trashed their mothers by deliberately slighting a piece of their childhood.

So I’ve set up a forum called Your Memories.  It’s a place where you can write about restaurants you recall or ask questions about them.  Post them there.  If a good thread gets going about some restaurant, I may move the posts about it to a separate thread devoted to that eating spot.

Also: I occasionally get messages from the owners (or fans of) places that are or were currently open, objecting to their non-inclusion.  The heading on every page clearly says the site is about places that ain’t there no more but that seems to not matter to some.  The proprietor of one chain that’s still in operation was particularly irate that her restaurants weren’t included. Since then, several of her outlets have closed so it looks like she’ll get in here soon.

I’d rather you didn’t write about restaurants that are still in business.  There are plenty of sites about those places, including Yelp and Chowhound where you can argue ’til the Original Pantry closes about where to get the best pizza or burger.  I may delete message threads about the current dining scene.

Also, be patient if your write a comment and it doesn’t appear for a day or so.  This site gets “spammed” all the time.  Each day, I receive 100+ phony comments from non-existent people who plug online businesses and I have to separate the real posts from the robotic ads.  That’s why comments must be approved before they can read by anyone who comes here.  But we really do welcome your contributions.

You can reach me at me@oldlarestaurants.com. And you might want to drop by my main blog, newsfromme.com.  It’s about comic books and TV and politics and writing and cartoons and whatever pops into my mind when I should be working.

— Mark Evanier

119 Responses to About This Site

• G. J. P. says:

What happened to Dick Webster’s Lemon Pies restaurant on La Cienega Boulevard in Beverly Hills (south of Wilshire?)

• Neal Elkind says:

Yes, my father use to take me there for breakfast on his way to work. My father owned Art’s Chili Dogs. They had great split pea soup and french bread.

I don’t know about Y’all, but that pic of Mark looks a tad like Young Sheldon!

• david blake says:

If memory serves (has anyone ever said that here before?), where A.O.C. is on 3rd at Robertson was a tony restaurant, part of a chain that started in Manhattan, French-themed, might have had Frank in the name, where I had my first chocolate mousse pie in the 80s.

• david blake says:

My family’s favorite place in the 60’s was an unpretentious Chinese restaurant on the west side of La Brea between 2nd and 3rd (i think—perhaps where Odys + Penelope is) called Ho Sai Gai.

• david blake says:

barbara and dennis:
    There was a restaurant in Lafayette (Bay Area) also called Papa d’Carlos in the mid ’70s that had such a similar program (and an aged owner/cook) that it surely was where your guy retired to. Though it was fabulous, the only course I can remember was a slice of pizza with a bit of tomato sauce and a layer of finely diced spinach a quarter of an inch thick.

• mj says:

what restaurants were formally at the south corners of Melrose and Robertson

• kate says:

Trying to remember the name of an early 1950s pizza place in west Hollywood. It was trendy for late evening. Didn’t deliver. Pizza was very new in L.A. then. I think the name of the place was Ben something or other, and I can’t come up with the last name–driving me nuts . . . can you help?

• Cindy says:

1963-1965 time frame
    Has anyone heard of a restaurant ( w/small bar) called QUADRA . It was located in a basement. It would have been within walking distance of South Mariposa ave Los Angeles 90005

Thanks for any help !

• David says:

Does anyone remmber a restaurant in the valley circa late 1950″s that had live alligators in the parking lot?

• Jim Forman says:

Does any remember Chalon (sp?) 1954, on Manchester, east of Western, northside of street, a bright, trendy, busy restaurant, especially on weekends? Remember it vaguely as a small child taken their by my parents.

• eric says:

Looking to see if anyone can remember the name of am restaurant that was on the 100 block of North Beverly Drive located a few doors down to where the Beverly Theatre and Fioruci was. They served the most amazing sandwiches on this awesome bread. They also had a restaurant in Westwood Village at one point.

Papa D’Carlos sounds a lot like a restaurant in Tarzana back in the mid-’70s, Koolibah (my spelling may be off). Like Papa’s reservations were required months in advance, there was no menu so you took yer chances. When you arrived you were offered three entree choices, with appropriate wine, and palate clearing sorbet between courses. If there were leftovers of any entree, they would be offered to guests as an extra treat. At the end of the meal the owner/chef would invite a couple of couples to visit the cleaned up kitchen. We were invited so once.

• Dennis says:

Barbara, Papa D’Carlos on the edge of Watts. Reservations required weeks or months ahead. Many courses. No menu. Whatever Papa wanted to cook that night. Intermission between couses with belt exerciser.

• Gwenn J says:

Diamond Jim’s across from MacArthur Park.
    Anyone know the recipe for the house dressing?
    Thanks

• Johnny Cee says:

A New Orleans style resto. On South Robertson I think
    maybe called Homer & Eddies or something
    like that. I used to play piano there

Yo Lamonte…am not “Bud”, but curious: What are “….booths set up kinda like the 1950s style???” ? Was it half circles with/without tufting, e.g. http://tinyurl.com/y7renrlk or just plain old “bench” style booths http://tinyurl.com/ycuojw2k like in a car from back in the day that didn’t have those ‘birth control’ consoles? Elsewise and sorry, don’t remember the Bev Dr. place.

• Lamonte Brooks says:

Hey bud,
    Hope you’re well.trying to remember a fantastic diner/restaurant that was on Beverly dr.all the music groups would eat there since it was it was and after hours place and a lot of the meals on the menu were named after the famous people that went there???had booths set up kinda like the 1950s style?????

• Barbara says:

Does anyone remember Papa de Carlos. Went with a group when I was first married 60+ years ago.