Ships Coffee Shop

The Ship's on Overland Ave. in Culver City

Christopher Columbus had three ships and restaurateur Emmett Shipman had three Ships — one in Westwood, one in Culver City and everyone’s favorite, which was the one at Olympic and La Cienega.  Each Ships was open 24 hours and it wasn’t Denny’s. In terms of cuisine, it wasn’t that much better but it felt friendlier and classier.

If you ordered breakfast, they brought you bread instead of toast and you cooked it yourself in the toaster at your table. Every table had one, plus they were all along the counter for the folks sitting there. It was another great place to get a hot turkey sandwich and I remember that a friend of mine liked to go there because they had “the coldest milk in the world.”  The waitresses were all what you’d get if you put out a casting call for “friendly coffee shop waitresses.”

All three Ships Coffee shops were opened by Shipman between 1956 and 1967 and closed within a narrow window in the eighties.  They were noted for their decor and the one at Olympic and La Cienega was used as a location in several movies.  They may be among the “most missed” defunct eateries in all of Southern California. Here’s a look at their classic menu…

To see the entire Ships menu, click above

111 Responses to Ships Coffee Shop

• Brad Dorset says:

Ships was my mainstay for meals 18-21 years old. I lived in Hollywood and would drop by on way to Venice or Santa Monica Beach for the day. I loved the Steak-O-Bob,well-chilled salad, personal toaster, cinnamon rolls with pats of butter,..everything about the place. I felt safe and comfortable there every single time. I wish someone would print some T-shirts with the fabulous, iconic Ships signage emblazoned on it. One of the best memories from my life in L.A. ’78-’81.

• Paul says:

Back around 74, I was a pre-Med student at UCLA and are at the Westwood Ships most often..Was not uncommon to see celebrities there late at night, like Tina Turner..The waitress’s there would take an interest in you and recommend what was fresh..They were a source of good conversation and jokes as well..It was an interesting time of my life..Away from home in N.Y., just out of the Marines and home from the war, and attending a major University..

• Gary S says:

I lived in the Palms neighborhood of L. A. in the 60s for junior high and high school. The Overland Ave Ships was within walking distance of our apartment; and I’d go there periodically when in high school. I remember the toasters. But I remember the Ship Shape Burger and side order of fries being significantly better than Denny’s. It was one of my favorite burger meals of all time. I’d order the 1/2-lb burger cooked medium; and it had a wonderful char-broiled taste that I can almost taste again now whenever I think of it. The order of fries was big. They came in one of those oval-shaped plastic waffle baskets, with a red and white checkerboard piece of glossy paper as a liner. They were always cooked to perfection: never browned, never greasy, hot and crispy on the outside, and soft and warm on the inside. If I could only have that meal again.

• Debra says:

My family used to go to Ships every Sunday when I was little. My Grandpa Joe was Orthodox and he’d walk over. Miss the cinnamon rolls, LaMerle our waitress and most of all the Chicken Noodle Soup! Oh what I would give for that chicken soup! If anyone knows the family, i’d kill for the recipe!

• Dennis says:

I frequently went to the one in Culver City during graduate school in the early 1980s. No place better late at night when you wanted food and a place to relax before getting back to the books. Most comforting comfort food.

• Michael Waterman says:

The gas station (Union 76) was there at the same time as Ship’s – Ship’s was just south of Rocky Ferraro’s station (can’t believe I still remember his name). Always was a famous place for Jews to eat on Yom Kippur, as they slid down in the booth, so you could not see them – across the street from Temple Beth Am. Ship’s was famous for its fresh-squeezed orange juice and its toasters on every table. The other Ships that I remember was on Wilshire Boulevard in Westwood.

• Karen Tani says:

I was a student at UCLA in the early 70’s and spent a good deal of time at the Ship’s in Westwood. Westwood was fantastic in those days.

• chappie says:

Yo Mark…might one presume this http://tinyurl.com/y7vg7soq is The Pole? (This is one of those sites that if you put your cursor in the middle of the pic/hold your mouse button down and move the mouse right/left you can swing around.)

• Mark says:

The only thing left from the Ships at La Cienega and Olympic is the pole in the parking lot that its sign used to sit on. The sign itself was left on the pole for a few years after they tore down the restaurant, but then the sign disappeared a few years ago. A gas station occupies the property now, on the corner on the south side of Olympic, and the east side of La Cienega. I saw the pole the other day as I drove by. It’s at the east end of the gas station close to the sidewalk on Olympic, and it’s about 18 feet high. I always sigh for Ships when I see it.

• Chris says:

I loved Ships on LaCienega. I was a script reader in the 1990s and I’d go late late at night- I’d sit at the table and order an omelette and make my own toast. Fantastic.