Webster’s

I don’t know much about Webster’s Restaurants, other than that a man named Dick Webster opened several of them around Los Angeles and that he boasted of serving the best lemon pie in the world.  The one in the picture above was located at 270 So. La Cienega Blvd. and most of their ads said it was Beverly Hills but I think it was actually on the cusp.  There’s a restaurant called Boss Sushi at that address now.

My family and I occasionally went to one on Pico Boulevard a few blocks east of Overland.  The food was pretty simple — burgers, roast beef, chicken, stuff like that — but the menu and the waitresses implored you to save room for some of that world famous Webster’s lemon pie.  I tried it one time and didn’t see what all the fuss was about.  Seemed like pretty standard lemon pie to me, about the same as you got at any restaurant.  But a reputation can be a funny thing…

48 Responses to Webster’s

My folks liked Dick Webster’s, and often they would bring home a lemon pie. I judge lemon pies against their standard, and those pies are found wanting.

• Terrie in Anchorage says:

My sister and I always still talk about the delicious cinnamon rolls… any chance any of the family members (or others) posting here have come across the recipe? If so, PLEASE share!

• David Barrett says:

The WEBTER’s COFFEE SHOP at 10645 W. Pico in West LA near Overland (now a Louise’s) was owned by my parents in the 1970s. Yes, the bakery and nightly blue plate specials were still to this day the best food I’ve ever had. Those dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls. My god. If anyone has any photos or questions please HMU. Thanks.

• Jon R says:

I remember the location on La Cienega. This place was synonymous with cinnamon rolls.

• Shannon MacLean says:

That restaurant belonged to my Great Grandparents! It took a lot of prodding for me to get any information from my grandfather (Dick Webster) and even then he was pretty tight lipped about it … not sure why. I WISH I knew more and/or had recipes … but with my older relatives all dying off, I fear that information will be lost forever. I’ll try to get more info and see if I can get recipes from any of my older remaining relatives. Will post updates if/when I have something to post.

• Ron Stark says:

The “mile high” pies were set in a row in the front window. The meringue was kind of cone shaped making a slice of pie appear quite tall on the plate. The filling was a very stiff lemony custard and the crust, as I recall, was made with lard. Lard, of course, is the secret to light and flaky crust.

The rest of the menu was great coffee shop faire with very fresh ingredients.

• Diane Goose says:

Oh my goodness that pie mmmmmmmm.

• Rick Katz says:

Yeah, Joon Benny is right, Webster’s CHOCOLATE CAKE was beyond amazing. Dark, super moist and rich. Their secret? A little strong black coffee in the batter (and probably in the icing too). Just enough coffee to intensify the chocolate. Outrageous! I ate it 60 years ago and can still taste it in my imagination. Hahahahaaaa. . .(but true) :)

• Mark Robbins says:

I grew up a few blocks east of Dick Webster’s La Cienega restaurant, though for some reason I also vaguely remember or associate it with the name Mrs. Webster’s. Maybe the signature lemon merengue pie was attributed to Dick’s mother??? I also seem to recall that they featured an apple cobbler, which they called “apple pandowdy.” I lived on the Los Angeles side of the city limits, and I agree that the Beverly Hills water back then was undrinkable.

• Debra Allen says:

anyone have information on Webster’s Coffee Shop in the 1940’s?

• Joon Benny says:

How about their chocolate cake? As a child, didn’t care about anything else on the menu – wanted to eat only that cake as an entree!

• Harry Sloan says:

I lived a couple of blocks from Webster’s and have fond memories of my mother going there and picking up the delicious cinnamon rolls. She would ask for the center cut which cost extra but oh so wonderfully yummy. I wish that I had the recipe.

• Mel says:

The steak house restaurant on La Brea near Hollywood Blvd was Edna Esrl’s Fog Cutter. It was there in the 1950’s- 1970’s. There was no printed menu. The waitresses came to the table with a wood plank on which was located 3 sample different cuts of steak. You chose the type you wanted & how you wanted it cooked: well done, medium or rare.
    Edna received the Fog Cutter as part of her divorce settlement & continued to operate it. She was there as hostess & very friendly. I heard she had been a movie actress when younger.
    The small bar was usually loaded with customers. Response to Jerry Possel.

• Dayna R. says:

Used to go to Webster’s on La Cienaga as a little girl with my Mom specifically for the cinnamon rolls—the aroma of the cinnamon rolls hit you as you entered the front door–they were sold at the counter & there was always a line for boxes of the rolls—undeniably the best ever! They were sold in cardboard boxes and the rolls were small by today’s standards, about 2X4 inches–they were fresh from the oven and warm & soft—one of my favorite childhood memories…

• Jeremy Goldman says:

WEBSTER’S IN WLA WAS BETWEEN OVERLAND & PATRICIA NORTH SIDE OF PICO. THEY HAD THE SECOND BEST LEMON MERENGUE PIE IN THE WORLD MOM’S BEING #1.

• Helen Staggs -Terri Holmes says:

This brings back such faun memories, I realize that I most likely waited on many of you have posted a note. I worked for five years during the 60’s at a time when Dick and Virginia brought in their son Bill to manage the restaurant. Does anyone know what happened to Bill Webster?

• John Egbert says:

My parents and I went to Webster’s on Pico blvd every week in the 50’s. The food was great, but the cinammon rolls were out of this world. It has been over 60 years since my last visit and I can still taste the way were right out of the oven. We always took some home for deserts for next few days. If anyone has the original recipe – they can become rich selling these rolls. Wonderful memories at Webster’s.

• Melanie Clampitt says:

I worked next door in the office bldg on corner of La Cienega. What I loved was their hot freshly made cinnamon rolls. Every day I would get some and bring back to office. They were never ready til after 11am. So fresh and delicious.
    Late ’50’s and ’60’s.

• Joanne Cohan says:

Went there for lunch on the last day of elementary school in 1960. I loved the onion rings!

• howard says:

I believe the restaurant on Pico was actually on Robertson 2doors north of Pico on the east side

• Lisa Sealey says:

Our family went to the Dick Webster’s on La Cienega Blvd. in the late 60’s and 70’s. When my Grandmother and family would visit from San Diego. They would love to go to Dick Webster’s. They always ordered Chicken and Dumplings. Fun family times. I went from a booster chair to no booster chair there. :)

• Rochelle Jobe says:

Trying to find a relative Marsha Webster….she and her husband ran Webster’s in the 70’s.

• Kendall Roclord says:

Loved this place! I don’t ever remember actually eating a meal here. But, my buddies and I went here regularly after we played BH Little League baseball across the street at La Cienega Park (where you could slide down the arms of the robot slide.) We would order bags of the gooey cinnamon rolls at Webster’s and eat them as we walked home, holding our bats and gloves.

• Miriam says:

We used to go there. Yes, those cinnamon rolls were amazing. If anyone has the recipe, would love to have a copy. Have you gone down the list of the other restaurants. A nice cruise down memory lane!

• Jaime Webster says:

Hi Dave! You are right. Dick adopted Virginia’s son when he was a child. He and Virginia ran the restaurant after Dick passed. Virginia passed in 2005. I am Bill and Marcia’s daughter. I don’t remember Dick (I was an infant) but there are a lot of pics of us together. I guess we are related, too!

• Linda Lee says:

I remember the lemon cake as being particularly good, also. But oh, those cinnamon rolls. I requested the recipe from the LA Times but never got anywhere.

• sheila eldridge says:

I used to go there with my family couple times a month. The cinnamon rolls were incredible but does anyone remember a lemon cake?

• Patricia dewall says:

My roommate Harriet and I went for breakfast on weekends in early 60’s.went to the one on la cienega. Many fond memories.

• Nancy says:

I lived near Webster’s on Pico. Whenever my best friend and I could scrape together enough of our allowance we would enjoy the delights of one of the best hamburgers ever! (I think this started when we were about 12 and allowed to do such things on our own). I referred to it as a “5 napkin burger” – big and juicy and messy! I recall their reputation for the lemon pie and am sure I tried it, but it doesn’t stick out as memorable for me.

• Dale Nicholson says:

Their chicken was delicious. They were known to have the chicken to you in 7-8 minutes or close to that.

• Dave Crow says:

Dick Webster was married to Virginia and her son Bill was his adopted son Bill Webster. Dick Webster’s nephew Bill Crow owned a restaurant on Pico Blvd for many years. Bill’s brother George and wife Winnie owned a restaurant on La Brea in 1940’s.
    Dick Webster was my great Uncle and Bill Crow my uncle. My Grandmother Mary Crow was Dick Webster’s sister and Bill Crow’s mother. Bill Crow was my Dad’s ( Everett Crow) brother.
    I spent two full summer’s with the Webster’s in the 1960’s and worked some at the restaurant at 270 South La Cienega. All were hard working and great people! All are gone now and I miss them dearly and cherish the memories. Not sure who Donna Murray is but guess we may be distant relation.

• Laura DeMarco says:

Dick Webster was a family friend and the restaurant was an account of my father’s…Dick sent my dad home with a Lemon Merengue pie free every Friday!!

• Mel Karp says:

Our large family ate in Webster’s on La Cienega frequently during the 1970’s.
    My mother loved the fish dinner & took home some cinnamon rolls or berry pie. Webster’s & Nibblers were 2 of her favorites.

• donna murray says:

my great uncle dick webster never had any children the bill you are talking about was his nephew. uncle dicks brother carl used to cater to the movie stars.

• donna murray says:

my great uncle only had 1 restaurant it was in beverly hills his brother had one and his nephew had one on peco

• donna murray says:

my great uncle dick webster had the one in beverley hills his brother had one too and his sister’s son had one on peco uncle dick only had one

• Gary siedelman says:

the hamburgers came with both French fries and onion rings they were great. but the Beverly hills water was nasty

• Sandy Samuels says:

Beyond a doubt the best cinnamon rolls anywhere in the world.

• Bob Moser says:

Hi Diane,
    Dick webster’s son is Bill. Don’t know where he is now, but he dated my sister back in the ’60’s.

• Steve Brown says:

I ate there often growing up. No one mentioned the cinnamon rolls. They were huge and delicious. The fried chicken was delicious.

• Bill James says:

The has great fried shrimp dinners and clam chowder. As a kid it was such a treat to go there for dinner.

• Diane Baker says:

My Mom and Dad would take my sister and I in the 50’s to cousin Virginia’s Restaurant. …of course her husband was Dick Webster, but I always just loved Virginia. You talk about beautiful and a personality that would light up a room. When Virginia and Dick would vacation for a weekend their son would come and stay with us in Whittier. And for the life of me I can see him yet but I can’t remember his name.

• george nolan says:

1947 was working at george websters restaurant on La Brea….his brother Dick Webster purchased two lots on La Cienega for a restaurant…lots were %15,000. each …George and winnie thought he was crazy to pay that much???????thinl the place is still up mand running on La Cienega. I was 16 at the time…….Yes…that was $15,000.00 or $30,000.00 for two…….

• Tim Shepard says:

Snicker, you fell for the Lemon Pie Maneuver. “Would you like Fries with That?”

• Carolyn W. says:

My parents used to frequent the La Cienega site often. My mom’s favorite there was their lemon pie.

• Jerry Posell says:

There was Dick Webster’s and Ma Webster’s We went to both of them Kelbos was a bi monthly favorite No one has mentioned the steak place on La Brea in Hollywood, the name of which I have forgotten, it was a womans name. Ho Sai Gai was a favorite also on La Brea. The Broil o Burger offered .15 hamburgers. The Velvet Turtle made a now forgotten sandwich, the Monte Cristo. Kings Tropical Inn; Sterns BBQ; Rudis Italian Inn; The High School Hangout, on Pico, and Hauser, Hody,s Jr.; Ships Drive in; the Village Delicetessan (sp) (college crowd) in Westwood; Miscelis for Pizza; How about two names from the past- Ben Pollacks. Larry Finley’s; you may add these to the list.

• Ron Bauer says:

lived and worked as a kid near Dick webster’s, they had great Fried Chicken and the lemon Pie was great! quality food and great staff!

• Stewart Ruskin says:

I remember going to the one on La Cienega in the late 60’s and early 70’s with my grandmother and her husband. I remember the filling was tart and it was a huge piece that was served.