Woody’s Gallery

Much of this weblog has been joyously devoted to one of my favorite now-defunct places to eat…Woody’s Smorgasburger.  Many former employees have chimed in to create a weblogged history of the chain, and the most vocal and interesting has been Phil Ankofski.  Recently, Phil sent me some photos of a diorama he has lovingly built of the Woody’s I most often frequented, the one in Culver City.  I’ll be posting Phil’s photos here along with some other pics he’s contributed, and I’m sure he’ll be along to offer commentary.  Please join in.  Here’s the first pic he sent of his remarkable reconstruction…

woodys01

155 Responses to Woody’s Gallery

Just a ” heads up ” regarding the current Woody’s offerings on Ebay.
    There are 3 coffee mugs being sold on the ” buy now ” pricing , ranging from 25.00 to 40.00. Yes, a bit pricy but they would make a cool surprise gift under the Christmas tree.
    I now wonder what the ” original ” oval china dinner platters would sell for
    in pristine, unused condition.
    If anyone cares to throw out an opinion on value, please advise as I am most curious.

Phil in Dublin

Marshall L.

Thanks for your response on the separate Ewing family members.
    I was hoping to get lucky and find a pathway to Randy.

Woody’s General Rule ;

Leaving your station while ” working the line ” is not permitted as it interrupts our fast and efficient service.

Bob of Los Ranchos, and others too;

In my four years with Woody’s I probably saw a grill man drop a total of TWO meat patties from his spatula. So, in an amortized food cost rating this of course meant nothing over the four years.
    My biggest food cost loss was with hot dog buns. I think the prescribed rule
    at closing time was that a clean , damp towel was placed over the top of the box of buns. NEVER WORKED FOR ME. I would come in the morning , only to find the whole box of buns had to be tossed.

On a closing shift, it always pissed me off when a patron walked in at ten minutes to closing and ordered a hot dog and I then found I had to open a new
    package for the one bun. I knew the remain eleven would be garbage in the morning.

Phil of Dublin.

Marshall and others too;

We stopped using the Woody’s III site some time ago.
    That site reached 252 comments which reached the time for cutoff.
    I posted an UNOFFICIAL suggestion that we all move over to the Woody’s
    Gallery as there was plenty of room there to contribute further.

Mark Evanier has yet to OFFICIALLY discontinue the III site.
    I was looking ahead to avoid problems. NO ERRORS WERE MADE.

” Let the Good Times Roll ” ~ Shirley and Lee ~ 1956

This 1956 song is among my very favorites. It has everything !
    Earl Palmer back beating on the drums, a fabulous saxophone bridge, plus
    the voices and lyrics of Shirley and Lee.

I would take all the money that the new Woody’s in Culver City was grossing and bet that this song was NEVER played during the sock hops at the Visitation Elementary School in Westchester. The school was and is yet a Catholic school which a lot of our commenters had attended.

To this day, I do not understand how this song was able to get airplay at any stations, anywhere. Ralph Wood was already in his early 30’s so I assume he was over the hill in regards to rock and roll. Mark Evanier was in kindergarten, so he too missed out on all the really genuine stuff.

1956 ~ Woody’s SmorgasBurger plus Shirley and Lee . What a combo !

Wednesday ~

Woody’s General Rule : Spillage ;

NO charges are to be made for food portions dropped or spilled by accident,
    even if it is the fault of the patron. Replace items immediately.

Tuesday ~

Woody’s General Rule : Laziness;

Do not lean or sit on tables, counters or food prep areas.
    This would give an impression of laziness.

Ya, it’s too bad Woody didn’t have access to the Internet in those days where he would have learned about the 5 Second Rule when dropping food which would have increased the bottom line. Of course there is an addendum that the 5 SR did not apply to ice cream. Elsewise, imagine: we didn’t wear gloves! OMG how “spotted (well, gross)” did our aprons get during a lunch or dinner time…oooeee! As there was no chicken in my time, I’d imagine cross contamination would have been hairy down the road. Were ‘wipe-down’ clothes kept in any antiseptic solution? Eh! I never smoked out on the line!

• Marshall Loveday says:

Well, I figured out why I couldn’t find all the up-to-date comments on the Woody’s III page….

You guys have been posting on the Woody’s GALLERY PAGE, in error – instead of the Woody’s comments page, here:

• Marshall Loveday says:

Musta got lost……… couldn’t find this page that has the latest posts for the longest while. (Does anyone else have trouble with ‘newer comments’ and ‘older comments’ links? Sometimes, the ‘older’ link goes forward in time, while sometimes the ‘newer’ link goes backwards in time. Very confusing……)

Geez, Phil – You remember EVERYTHING………..
    Phil asked in his 9.27.15 post if my wife was related to Randy Ewing, who worked at the CC location. Phil I guess remembered (I didn’t) that I had mentioned my wife Marcia’s maiden name was ‘Ewing’. Answer: NO.

Flavorful memory of the day:
    Hamburger steak, with a big Idaho baked potato, side salad with blue cheese dressing, and Woody’s salsa on top of the burger steak.

We’ll have one of those delicious rib-eye steak sandwiches tomorrow…….

This afternoon ( Monday ) I took an Rx for lower lumbar pain. Within 20 minutes I was in a realm of dizziness. A bit later while still in this stupor,
    I had these thoughts : Joe Biden would enter the presidential race.
    A much bigger surprise; so would our own Mark Evanier of Los Angeles !

Yes, Ronnie Reagan and Dicky Nixon came from the same ” hood ” , but could they write cartoons ? No !
    Now Mark is a big ” common sense ” man who would appeal to the even bigger ” common sense ” crowds.

But here comes the ” BIG HOWEVER ,” …….. Mark would have to rethink his stance on two very important issues : (1) His contention that Lee Harvey Oswald was a lone shooter. (no , no , no , no ….. he was just a CIA patsy ).
    (2) Marks disdain for coleslaw.
    Of course Mark probably has other skeletons in his closet, but hey , that’s what advisors are for.

Back to the lumbar. I now suspect I developed this lower back pain in 1965 while working for Woody’s in Culver City. Wally Roga had just been given the
    ” Yellow Shirt ” which made him a supervisor. Well, he was learning how to throw his weight around by waiting till my 4 PM shift started and making me take out the trash from under the broiler. FU Wally !

Phil Ankofski of Dublin

Woody’s SmorgasBurger General Rule:

NEVER serve any food that has fallen on the floor. Dispose of the item in the trash and then wash your hands.

Several years ago I gave away my only copy of ” Woody’s General Rules “.
    The pamphlet was given to each new employee at their hire in time.

I thought I photo copied the original before sending it on to it’s new owner, but now I cannot locate anything. So, in the coming days I will try to remember some of them and pass them on …….. just for some fun !

For Mark Evanier,
    I have seen your gorgeous X ray.
    Kudos to your doctor for achieving the beautiful symmetry with your new knee. I may be asking for a referral at some point in the future.

In the mean time, I would appreciate some help or advise when you are up to it. This is regarding the first Woody’s site started in Feb. 2012.
    I have tried scrolling back to the very beginning so I can review some of
    the first comments. The very earliest date I can bring up is Sept. 09 , 2013.
    Yes, I have tried using the ” newer and older comment ” links ,but nothing brings me closer to the very earliest postings.

Since I am such a novice with computers, I do not know if the problem lies at my end ….. or what. Of course I am hoping this issue can be resolved easily.

Too Funny Phil re your ala carte crap. 1st time I remember running into it was about ’95 in a Morton’s in Vegas! For $30 (at the time), for a filet, that’s all you got. A Baked Potato was 5 bucks!!! What I now abhor is running across menus online that do not display the Fees/Charges, I mean prices. Are they so embarrassed? I swear Woody’s Monday night .99 cent Hamburger Steak Dinner Special included the salad and potato…ok, the drink was an “Add On”!
    (Psst: finished The Maybelline Story. Indeed, the intrigue continued beyond page 86. Hmm…what would Sharrie’s Great-Uncle and his cabinet bring to our country’s leadership position? )

For Mark Evanier, our devoted Webmaster and caretaker for this site.

I am pleased to learn your knee surgery is considered a success.
    Nothing like having your doctor as happy as you are.
    It sounds like you are obeying orders which can be difficult at times.
    I assume you are on a regular diet, so my wish for you is that you have someone nearby who can bring in your favorite foods.
    ” The Maybelline Story ” would be a great read while you are confined to bed.
    The book will provide your brain great relief from all this political crap.
    Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

A ” heads up ” on the Admiral Risty’s dinner house 49th anniversary .

The owner is offering a ten dollar coupon towards a dinner for two.
    This is a thank you for your past loyal support and the coupon is available via the Admiral Risty web site. Granted, the coupon probably only covers the tip on a dinner for two, but you have to keep in mind the horrific lease payments
    to the landlord. So, if the ocean view is a big factor in the menu pricing, you may as well make it a point to arrive while the sun is still up.

Of course Bob and I are too far away to join in the festivities, so one weekend night I will prepare a nice prime steak dinner here at the house.
    A toast to Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Judah who are now the succeeding owners.
    ” May the daily Pacific breezes blow away all of your worries ”
    Phil ankofski

The ever present inflation factor shows it’s face when comparing Bob’s
    1957 menu with my Lawry’s 1966 menu. The Prime Rib dinner had increased to $4.95 …….. plus .45 cents for a baked potato and .35 cents for a vegetable.
    I am now wondering if it was Mr. Lawry who started this ala carte crap.

No matter I guess, you always pay one way or another.
    Bob, thanks for the menu links.

~ 30 years ago this autumn season ~ 1985 / 2015 ~

In the autumn of 1985 , our beloved Woody’s SmorgasBurger in Culver City
    was still standing , but vacant. Several months had already gone by since the business was closed and interior furnishings and equipment were sold off.
    Several options were being considered as to what fate would be in it’s future.

Yes. the Big Boy and the Mc Donald’s Clown had arrived on the scene and each claimed a substantial piece of the action. So many of Woody’s loyal patrons must have been devastated.

For 29 years ( 56/85) Woody’s had been serving flame broiled
    SmorgasBurgers and somehow the phrase ” flame broiled ” was destined
    to remain at the corner of Sepulveda Blvd. and Berryman Ave.
    Sure enough ……. the answer was to concede the local burger wars and introduce Culver City to flame broiled chicken.
    The succeeding 29 years (1986/2015 ) have proven the decision was a win/ win for everyone. This is how the world should operate every day.

Just ran across this http://tinyurl.com/owrnu7q re vintage LA “menus” (click the arrow for the slideshow). Whoa! $3.75 for Lawry’s Prime Rib in ’57! BTW, the notation re Dino’s: that was the backdrop for the TV series 77 Sunset Strip. Apparently LA library is doing a feature on Menus and you can search here
    http://tinyurl.com/pjp6jxm (nope, didn’t find Woody’s tho). Found that a MaiTai was “only” $3.50 at Don the Beachcomber’s.

Yesterday I came down with a horrific allergy attack so I took a children’s
    dose of Benadryl and was promptly knocked on my ass.
    I made it upstairs to bed where I quickly fell into this dream .

I have been looking for over a year to relocate out of Ohio so this dream took me to El Segundo, California. The old Woody’s # 7 on Sepulveda was looking very good , but of course was operating as a IHOP store.
    Pancakes here did not prove to be as popular as the franchisee had hoped
    and so he was very receptive to my offer for the building and property.
    He took my money and bought out the CoCo’s in Culver City and renamed
    it ” Punejab’s for Pancakes. ”

Since I could not afford a home in addition to this IHOP store, I hired a contractor to convert the old Woody’s attic into an expanded bedroom.
    Mary and I would be occupying this site 24/7 ……. ready or not.

In the dream, we stripped the original Woody’s SmorgasBurger menu down to the original burger offerings plus two new items; a Chicago style hot dog and a chicken sandwich. The all white meat chicken would be marinated overnight in a special ” apple cider ” juice and turn soooooo tender.

For staffing, the girls would far outnumber the boys. The girls uniforms
    would be black thigh length yoga shorts with black polo shirts.
    Their hair must be at least 18 inches long and in a pony tail with a baseball style cap. All employees could call me Mr. A.

El Segundo city council approved my plan to buy an additional 40 feet
    of parking lot from my new neighbor ; the ( vacant Sticks and Steins ).
    Drive thrus are not permitted on South bound Sepulveda, so the added space would be used for an enhanced patio and expanded parking.

This is as far as I got when Mary woke me for dinner.
    I suspect this narrative is a result of the lingering effects of the medicine, but it was fun to write it down. I suppose the Woody’s name would be unavailable
    from a legal standpoint so I would have to go with ” Philly’s _______Burger”
    A little fun on a dreary day in Dublin.

Mr. A.

Bob of LR ,

It is great to learn that you ordered Sharrie’s book and are enjoying it.
    I am also glad to see you did a much more detailed review than I did.
    It is significant that you made note that ” The Maybelline Story ” is not a
    girly- girl read. I would be thrilled to learn that Ron Howard or Tom Hanks
    picked up the rights for a TV mini series. ( Sharrie would be too ! )

I’m thinking of a Woody’s type Steak a Bob for dinner. ( using PRIME beef ).

Regarding Phil’s take on reading The Maybelline Story by Sharrie Williams, one of our “loyal” guests who made Woody’s-CC sparkle in the ’60s:
    If truth be told, I’ve become embarrassingly lazy when it comes to reading books! Being surprized by Phil’s exuberance however, I picked up a copy. So as the topic does not get lost lest my reading slows down, I’d like to note that after only the first 86 pages last night, you will find this is not what might be easily presumed to be a girly-girl reading about “make-up”. In addition, and despite stereotypes that may come to mind for some, given Sharrie’s ‘cuteness’, this is well written prose that most Guys will enjoy.
    Pardon: I was far from being an English Lit major so am not precise with “terms” in trying to describe it. Sharrie has gathered known and factual family history and ‘filled in’ plausible narrative to make it other than dry facts to create what I’m thinking is known as in the genre of being a historical novel. E.g. taking known facts and fleshing-in what most likely was said by the actual characters. Surely, I stand to be corrected.
    What caught my eye so far and caused me to write this, is the inspirational example that many of today’s ‘downtrodden’ teens might take a page from “Tom Lyle” in getting their act together rather than falling prey to the victimizers who ascribe and forecast one’s never- changing/hopeless condition in life to the harsh world we live in through no fault of our own. While I don’t yet know “how” The Story turns out, it’s been great so far and I Second Phil’s enthusiasm.

Tis the harvest season in North America and here in Ohio all the corn harvesting combines are in the fields. What’s this to do with Woody’s ?
    Just a toast to all the ex Woody’s guys who became farmers.
    May your harvests be plentiful with profitable prices.
    Yes, I am aware that California growers need special prayers. From what I read most growers are joining with other groups to conserve water.
    Seems the drip method is becoming more popular, even in the vineyards.

Having a Woody’s lunch today : 1/4 lb. Swiss Burger with potato chips.
    I should have invited Sharrie Williams over for lunch.

Thank you Mark !

• The Management says:

The address to reach me is on this page.

~ October , 2015 ~ The Admiral Risty is Celebrating it’s 49th Anniversary ~
    ~ Congratulations to the current owners, family, staff, and loyal patrons.~

The Risty is one of several different restaurant venues originated by
    Mr. Ralph Wood and his wife Barbara ( Risty ). It opened in 1966.
    This dinner house in Palos Verdes is by far the most successful venue of Mr. Woods long food service career.
    ( for any newcomers here, The Woody’s SmorgasBurgers preceded the Admiral Risty by ten years ~ 1956 )

I wish I could be on hand for the party.

For Sharrie W.

Great news regarding your next book. Let us know when it is available.

You can post pictures here on this site. Mark Evanier has a system in place where you forward the pics to him and then he will post.
    If you scroll back to the start of this Woody’s Gallery site, you will find about eight photos ( featuring Woody’s ) that Mark posted for me.

For Mark E. ~ Please post the email address Sharrie should use to forward her photos to you. Thanks.

Phil A.

While I was visiting my auto mechanic I noticed he had a 1964 Mustang
    in his shop. I was instantly reminded of Randy Ewing who was the assistant manager at Woody’s CC when I was hired in.
    Randy owned one of the very first Stangs to hit the west coast , and boy did he love that car. I hope he owned it forever. Randy was a 1961 grad from Westchester HS and to my knowledge , he has lived in the area all his life.

Question for Marshall L. : Is this Randy related to your wife ? If so, perhaps you could post an update on how Randy is doing.
    Looks like most of the new burger venues are making their way into Oregon.
    Have you settled on a new favorite ?

Also for Marshall ; I found a vintage aerial photo of the Woody’s CC property which is dated 1963. Sure enough, it shows the extended canopy feature which your dad demolished with his delivery truck.
    A photo dated 1964 shows the canopy gone. How cool is this ?

Phil of Dublin

• Sharrie Williams says:

Yes I was at my 1965 High School reunion last Friday night. I wish I could post some pictures here.

• Sharrie Williams says:

Thank you so much for telling your blog followers to buy my book, The Maybelline Story and to check out my Facebook page. I will be coming out with a new book, that I think you will like even more. I loved my teenage years at Culver City High School and especially Woody’s. It’s all in the new book. Class of 65.

Whoa! Quite an exalted book review Phillip! (Probably what I might have done for Atlas Shrugged, back in the day!) Maybe drop such a review on Amazon http://tinyurl.com/pjcatjn
    I think the context of the original reference about Sharrie was when I ran across, by happenstance, her reference to enjoying CC’s Woody’s! I think you then “admitted” you thought you tried to get her phone number per being the self admitted lecher you were as evidenced by giving her a Sign-up card for a comped Birthday Woody, but alas she filled it out and returned it to another Dude!!!!
    In any event, very nice review!

Again , I am encouraging everyone here to get a copy of ” The Maybelline Story “. While you are awaiting the delivery of your book, you can check out the Facebook site I was referring to above. A little help for you ………..
    facebook.com/maybellinebook

I need to extend my semi annual Thank You to Mark Evanier for originating and maintaining these sites. All the communication that has taken place here
    has enriched us all, plus being so damn fun. I have learned so many interesting things from you guys, and all made possible by Mark. As I expected , 2015 has been very slow here.
    Yes, there is a feeling of dismay in saying that, but things could turn around at any time……… just ask Bernie and Carly if I have that right.

Woody’s Culver City, the Toes Beach, Sharrie Williams and our own Bob.

I would like to start this gorgeous day in Dublin , Ohio by revisiting some times gone bye during the mid 1960’s.
    It was our own Bob of Los Ranchos who introduced us to the name
    of Sharrie Williams. I do not remember the context in which Bob referred to her, but his comments piqued my interest and I have since discovered much more about this beautiful and talented lady.

Towards the end of summer in 1964, I myself along with several other new crew members at Woody’s CC were learning to serve root beers, salads
    and how to work the cash register.
    Sharrie Williams, who was a junior at Culver City HS was suffering heart break because she was disqualified from the Miss Culver City Pageant.(1964)
    The Beach Boys, Rolling Stones and James Brown were appearing in Santa Monica for the TAMI concert.

Sharrie was now driving and had the use of a family car ( T Bird ? ) so she now had an independent access to her favorite places ; The Culver Theater,
    the Studio Drive In, Woody’s SmorgasBurger and the Toes Beach.
    Toes Beach is in Playa del Rey at the very northern end of D & W beach.
    ( where the La Marina Inn was and the lagoon still is. )

Sharrie had another year of high school with graduation in June, 1965.
    So what all this means is ; Sharrie and I were interacting for some time while she was a patron at Woody’s , plus her time at Toes.
    I had been renting a room in a private home on Fowling ST. which overlooked
    the lagoon and Toes beach. I used to walk there in 10 minutes.
    Now ( 2015 ) , I get to wonder ……. was that really Sharrie who I remember ?

Sharrie Williams is the Grand Niece of Tom Lyle Williams who was the founder of the Maybelline Co.
    In 2010, Sharrie authored her book ; ” The Maybelline Story “.

I just purchased my copy from Amazon and have found this story to be
    FABULOUSLY WRITTEN AND SO ENTERTAINING AND INFORMATIVE.
    ~ Well done Sharrie Williams ! ~

Yes, I am recommending this book to everyone. You local guys get extra fun because much of the story was written about your own backyard.
    Last week I enjoyed watching the PBS TV story of Walt Disney.
    While reading about Tom Lyle Williams , I can see so many similarities
    between him and Mr. Disney. It is like their DNA is identical.

I need to give Bob of Los Ranchos a ” shout out ” for putting me on to
    Sharrie Williams. Thank you Bob.

Sharrie Williams has several web sites of her own, plus she contributes to others as well. She also has a Facebook site which is a real blast to peruse.
    If anyone was to write a book about Woody’s SmorgasBurger, Sharrie
    would be the ultimate co author to have as a partner.

Culver City HS ( class of 65 ) would have had their 50th class reunion this
    summer. I hope Sharrie was in attendance , and everyone had a great time.

Summer is gone and winter is coming on …. who cares ? I love autumn !

SC’s Woody’s vs Big Mac:
    Alas, some student economics to consider?
    From ’58-’61 tuition at USC was level at $30 a unit hour, or $1000 a YEAR, for 16 hrs or less/semester. My Senior year, it began its (along with others) skyrocketing rise by going up 2 bucks a credit. One might only speculate what might have happened quickly in the next few years to affect students having to shift monies for “board” to Big Macs from Woody’s, given a credit hour being $1500 today or $48,000 per year!!! Whoa! Inflation Calculator says it should only be: $7,900!!! What’s sucking up tuition at most colleges nowadays??? It can’t just be the need for more faculty as student populations rise while “faculty” still only have to teach 3 classes a semester, i.e. be in class only 9 hours a week?! Oh right, they have to attend “faculty” meetings where they try to solve the same old same old, year after year!!!! Hmm…Albuquerque’s population is 550,000. It’s annual budget is 894,000,000. Many tuitions multiplied by many student populations ($40,000 X 20,000=$800,000,000.

I see no one has stepped up to the plate regarding the Woody’s Booster Club.
    I am now guessing the promo may have featured a free frosted root beer
    to any patron wearing the pin.

Perhaps I can get help on this next mystery ; At some point in 1972 / 73 , Mr. Wood terminated his direct involvement with the Woody’s #4 store by USC.
    Mc Donalds had opened a huge unit directly across Figueroa St. and the sales at Woody’s plunged . I do know the Woody’s continued to operate for another three years or so with the new operator installing video games, etc.
    The question is ; Did Mr. Wood sublease to one or two of his sons or did he sell the store to an outsider ?
    In any case, the ex Woody’s location is now, and has been a Del Taco unit
    for many , many years.

Phil A.

Our postman just delivered my Woody’s Booster Club button.
    It is in pristine condition, and to my surprise it is much larger than I thought.
    This metal button / pin measures 2 1/4 inch in diameter .

Yes Bob, the photo link you posted is the exact pin. Thanks for posting.
    Of course everyone remembers the ” birthday club ” with a free meal, but this
    Booster Club promo continues to elude me.

Anyway, I am delighted with my new found treasure and am very glad I am
    not in the mood to pursue a genuine Lyons Root Beer Barrel.
    Some time ago I saw an Ebay listing for a pristine barrel @ $4,500.

I am now curious if Mr. Wood or his sons retained any of these vintage Woody’s items from when Figueroa Street and Redondo were closed.
    Perhaps there is all kinds of stuff boxed up in somebody’s garage or attic.
    I was about to say basement, then realized you guys don’t know what basements are. Of all the vintage items from Woody’s , I would most love to have one of the Toastmaster toasters. During my four year tenure , I never had to send one out for repair service. Say what ?

Of the three Ronettes , Nedra was the cutest . Be My Baby !
    ” For every kiss you give me, I’ll give you three ”
    Greatest lyrics of all time. My eternal gratitude to Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry.

So, I am still wondering what benefits were available to members of the
    Woody’s Booster Club ……………… ?

OMG Phil! You were a $1.32 and a year short! I forgot!!! That’s where I stashed the “pins” one night when I subbed at CC during a pop-search when there was a rumor someone was slipping these http://tinyurl.com/om9ay3c to Sharrie and her CCHS buds !
    At 11:45 on Friday nights down in Hollywood Riv (aka Redondo) when the Smorg sign shut off and the picnic tables were stacked to the sides, it was your ticket of admission (beating out the lines for Monday Night’s 99 cent Hamburger Especial by a factor of 10!) which included your first gratis Dirty Rootbeer (6 parts root beer in a frozen mug to 2 parts (floated) Tequila) when these Gals http://tinyurl.com/mnv43d6 kicked off our first “after hours” record hops ala American Bandstand (e.g. a precursor of such things as Studio 54; Avalon Hollywood; Drai’s; etc.)! Put that in your book and smoke it! (Ya right, I only wish!)

I am now a proud owner of a ” Woody’s SmorgasBurger Booster Club” pin.
    I won it on Ebay last night for ten bucks as I was the only bidder.
    Help is needed on this issue from some of the older guys like Dick R. and
    Gary W. who worked at Culver City in the earlier 60’s.

The pin is the size of a quarter with a beige background and red lettering.
    While I seem to remember the metal pins, I cannot recall in what context or promotion they were featured. I hired in during the summer of 1964, so I am now thinking the promotion with the pins preceded my arrival.
    I may have come upon some left over pins under a counter. Don’t know.
    Anyway ….. I hope someone has the story on these pins.

This is an UNOFFICIAL heads up;

Since the Woody’s lll site has reached 252 postings , I thought perhaps I should switch over to the Woody’s Gallery site and resume ” fleshing out ”
    over here. The Gallery is now at # 110 , so it will take some time to reach 250.
    But when it does, it will mean the consolidated four Woody’s SmorgasBurger sites will surpass 1000 posted comments !!!
    The commenters over at Love’s can only dream about such numbers. I am sure Mark Evanier will advise us if he has updated plans.

More fun to come ……..

I just ordered Sharrie Williams book from Amazon.
    It looks to be a very interesting read plus I will learn aspects of Sharrie’s writing talents. After reading her book, I may offer to send it out to Bob of Los Ranchos unless I deem it a collectable for my own library.

Good morning Bob of Los Ranchos and all SmorgasBurger patrons,

Yes Bob, the winter prep chores aren’t any fun and most do not pose any problems. However , I have a Craftsman riding mower which was engineered by a team of ass_____s that probably worked out of different offices.
    The oil drain plug is buried down and inside all the shrouds and fenders
    so that it takes a half day to take apart and reassemble.
    I take a double dose of Cozaar on that day.

Sharrie Williams would be a fabulous asset to such a project. She has already been through the publishing ringer with her own book on ” Maybelline “.
    A while back, Sharrie posted a quip on another blog site. Her comment was that while she attended Culver City HS , she only dated guys from Westchester HS. What the hell is the story behind that ?

Catalina is certainly lovely, but one must remember that all the college
    babes are now back on campus. Watching sailboats bobbing in Avalon Harbor
    would not do it for me. Allow me to suggest an alternate location which is so much closer for you ……….. although similar scenery.
    The Ghost Ranch, north of Santa Fe .
    I have been trying to get out there for twenty plus years. I don’t know, getting back into the Pacific surf sure would be a treat for my soul.
    Plus, we could hang at the new Rock and Brews in Redondo while pretending it is still a Woody’s . ( ” Say Mike , salsa is out at the condiment bar ! ” )
    Such fun.

O M G…have I “awoken a sleeping Giant?”
    U Phil said: “As we get into winter, I seldom have much to do!”
    Whoa! Don’t you have to change the oil and gas in your sno-blower? Wax your sno-shovels? Sharpen the grass mower blades before winter storage? Demothball parkas? Windex storm windows for hanging?
    If not, I cannot but to not imagine that Sharrie Williams of today http://tinyurl.com/okozbxg or of Saffron days http://saffronsrule.com/about/#jp-carousel-50 wouldn’t want to help Y’all’s book writting….especially knowing it would actually be “US”…ME and you collaborating… knowing I’d crawl to take the next SouthWest Chief train out of ABQ to meet up to drool over French (Double) Dipped Sandwiches (coleslaw on the side) at a community table on the still sawdusted floors of Philippe’s (no kinship am sure) http://www.philippes.com/ or some such YumYum at Fairfax’s Farmer’s Market (either of which would be my treat!) to begin outlining the Chapters!!! I can’t but imagine the interfacings with Hollywood types that Sharrie must have, including publisher types, that she might bring in!
    Whoa, let us not overlook the myriad of contributors herein with their “backstories” Mark most certainly must have censored!!!! Eh, let’s kick in Actors/Actresses of the era sitting around retired and needing an ego boost as well as certainly the many musical talents of the times who had to eat somewhere!!!! Ya know Phil, now that tourist season is quieting down, we could probably get a good rate for a strategy planning room over on Catalina…ya know http://tinyurl.com/o6zrwoe in order to avoid hassling with freeway drives! Say, I’d appreciate it also if we made it on a http://tinyurl.com/qgpfpng weekend!!!

Out of a need for a hilarious uplift, I have just reread one of my favorite
    narratives authored by our very own Mark Evanier. It is a classic which I revisit often. Do yourself a big favor and look this up.

To the very right of this page you will notice the ” news from me ” blog site.
    Switch over there and find the search window.
    Type in ” las vegas buffets ” ( you must include the last s )

Scroll down about 4 or 5 articles until you arrive at ;
    POV + Point of View
    Pit Bosses
    January 5, 2012

Mark, I love this story telling … and Sheila too ! I hope she is still in your life.

So, what has all this have to do with Woody’s SmorgasBurger ?
    Nothing directly I guess ….. just two guys ( Mark and Phil ) who both loved Woody’s burgers and now love a good story as well.

Yo Bob,

You got me thinking about revisiting this book idea. I have two newer friends who are wanting to publish in the near future. The guy wants to put out a healthy food recipe book and the gal wants to publish a book on the Westchester / Playa del Rey areas and focus on the 1960’s.
    I will put in my pre order on both !

Besides Bob, if Steven King can write about a 1957 Plymouth Fury that kills people and Mark Evanier can publish his classic take on the Las Vegas buffet
    offerings, then I should be able to come with something too.
    I guess the overview on the book would be about a 31 year old local guy and his 56 year old rich uncle teaming up to outdo Cassell’s hamburgers.

As we get into winter, I seldom have much to do , so I may work up an outline
    and working title. This means I will have to recall the teachings of my fifth grade English teacher. I will also have to think about how I would incorporate a novel length love interest. ( not easy to do when the testosterone level is heading south ). Perhaps I can interest the ” Maybelline ”
    girl from Culver City in being a co author. This could be a hell of a lot of fun.

Phil A.

Yo Phil? You’re writing a book?! Now that would be a fun compilation of words n pics, albeit alas you’d have to put it out through a Vanity Publisher given the few of us around to buy it and despite probably including more e’x’otic “backstory” tales of during or after hours might be included…too bad, so sad, wish it were otherwise!
    Seriously and too funny: you ask the question: t’would indeed be interesting to know who had the last Smorg or SwissBurger, yellow dish of macaroni salad or root beer!!!? Am glad it wasn’t I to flip the switch to shut off the sign!

Good thing I am not writing a book.
    I have a correction regarding my prior posting of earlier today.
    It is now 10 1/2 years since the last SmorgasBurger was lifted from the broiler’s grate, and the last slathering of the thick tomato salsa.
    Perhaps Mr. Ralph Wood and family were invited to be on hand.
    Phil A.

Well guys and gals, it’s been 20 1/2 years since an authentic Woody’s
    SmorgasBurger was broiled on the premises in El Segundo.
    I now wonder who on this planet was the very last person to enjoy.
    I would guess it to be an employee / staff member at closing time.
    Phil A.

Welcome back Gary W. !!

I see you claim that the Woody’s Fish Sandwich rules. I think
    you put this out to tease me.