Woody’s Smorgasburger IV

This forum has gotten too big so I’m closing it to further postings. Feel free to respond to anything here but do it over on Woody’s Smorgasburger V.

596 Responses to Woody’s Smorgasburger IV

Phil: Yo: Cotton Bowl 12/29/17: …Despite USC ranking 8th (11-2) and Ohio Stale (11-2) ranking 5th, I’m willing to go USC by one, maybe two Alpine Smorgs!
    Mark: with all due respect for your much needed Cleanliness, I’m still thinking you must have worked your “Commo se llama” off after 6/63! LOL
    — All in all, its such a shame we didn’t have the cell cams we have today!

• Phil A. says:

~ Thursday ~ Correction please ………

My most resent comment was addressed to a Dan which is incorrect.
    The correct name I meant to place is Mark Husar.
    I am sorry Mark …… I don’t even know any Dans.
    I hope you can return often and share some memories of the Redondo store and your co workers.

~Thursday ~

Dan ,

Thanks for your posting about the Redondo tables. It is nice to learn my
    memory is yet intact.
    Question ; What time frame was your employment and who was the manager?

• mark husar says:

Hello,
    As a busboy working at the Woody’s in Redondo Beach I cleaned a loooot of those tables.
    If memory serves me correctly, there were no picnic tables in the dining area.
    There was a large table adjacent to the fireplace and all of the other tables were
    smaller 4 place and 2 place square units. The chairs pulled out to allow for comfortable individual seating.

~ Monday ~ Almost locked horns with Bob of N.M. ~

I was about to bet my wife’s retirement package on your claim that Redondo did in fact feature the picnic tables. But since you were so adamant I thought I should devote some amount of time thinking about it.
    Then it occurred to me that yes, the picnic variety must have been the original installation with a change out occurring some time after you left.
    All we need is a confirmation from Evan that he saw no picnic tables at Redondo during his tenure after mine.

Bob, other than the table issue we still have the USC / OSU game to bet on.
    Also, Bob’s recommendation for the book “The Maybelline Story ” is a very timely one. This book would be a fantastic Christmas gift which would please 99% of adult readers. Amazon has a few copies available NOW and can have it delivered before Christmas. Our friend and author ; Sharrie Williams.

Seating: Sorry! but bullheadedly…LOL…in ’62-6/’63, Redondo had picnic tables along the glass wall facing northwesterly/Vista del Mar and along the solid wall with high up, small, non-functioning windows along the Palos Verde Blvd side. My “association” is thinking I was lucky not working many closing shifts to awkwardly lift the benches atop the tables to sweep/mop if need be. Then I wondered about cleaning the tables per whatever contaminants might have been on the benches…LOL
    – There were also something like these http://tinyurl.com/ycmmzs2v red, molded boosters that could be stacked on the partial wall separating the ordering counter line from the dining area. Fuzzily, I’m thinking “wooden” hi-chairs, were kept in the corridor into the “kitchen”, where the newspapers-on-a-pole hung.
    Ooopsy, Kiss’ Simmons, part owner of the chain of Rock and Brews, one of which sits on the Redondo footprint, has been accused now of a recent hanky-panky.
    Sharrie: Don’t know what it is, but there are some pics that are most alluring/magnetic as a teen as well as now that she is s… aah, more mature. There are others tho where she doesn’t even look like her. Nevertheless she is a dogged entrepreneur in promoting her book that Phil and I have enthusiastically recommended as not being just a Chic-Read
    The Maybelline Story: And the Spirited Family Dynasty Behind It http://tinyurl.com/y8ou483q Alas, she could be my Babysitter today! ):-)

• Phil A. says:

~ Sunday 3 ~ ” Would you like frys with that ? ”

Thanks to Kevin’s photo of his uncle Don with Ralph Wood we no longer have to imagine how the guys looked when the store was brand new.
    Let’s remember these guys were dealing with a real charcoal broiler and learning which procedures had to be tweaked or eliminated all together.
    I would love to learn how long Mr. Cramer worked the cash register station.

My opening title phrase was NEVER uttered by anyone during Mr. Woods 15 year ownership. Why ? There were no frys !

~ Sunday 2 ~ I can help with tables and chairs ~

The Culver City store had a single row of small circular tables (6) that ran along the front windows from the front door to the fireplace. They were Formica and each had two fiberglass chairs as pictured in Bob’s web link.
    The main dining room section was filled with black picnic tables.
    ~ In Kevin’s photo, if you look real hard through the windows, PERHAPS you can see Mr. Cramer working the cash register station. ~

The Redondo Store had all Formica tables in two sizes along both walls and throughout the mid dining section.
    The chairs were made of a heavy wood and machined into a Tyrolean design
    like you would see in a ski lodge. They were painted black enamel and they were very, very hard to keep clean. ( the high back of the chair where folks used their dirty hands to position the chair ).
    I now wonder if these chairs ended up in the Tustin and City of Orange locations.

~ Sunday ~ let’s do the math ~

This short comment addresses Bob’s time frame regarding our
    friend from Culver City, the lovely Sharrie Williams and Kevin Steinke.
    The Steinke brothers would now be in their mid 80’s with Dean’s son Kevin
    coming in around in his mid 50’s. With KEVIN being born in the mid 60’s and Sharrie graduating from Culver City high school in 1965, well one can see
    that Sharrie may have been Kevin’s babysitter.
    The above scenario only holds if the Dean Steinke family lived in Culver City as well. Note : Don Steinke had already separated from Woody’s in 1962 to open his own restaurant, ” The Nut Burger ” . Don’s idea was to build on the crushed peanuts toppings started at Woody’s. I never did learn where Don
    operated this particular eatery.
    Note to Sharrie ; How are you doing kiddo ? Hope all is well.

Whoa! Too funny Kevin and Phil.
    If I go to the links K included and then click on the pics, I can rotate my mouse’s “wheel” to zoom in and out or use the magnify symbol, upper right corner.
    When I did it initially, I kinda wondered if that was indeed Woody…OMG! He really did “the line” from the ground up!? Alas, can’t tell if his pants were of the small checkered kind I wore…black on white/white on black, depending on your orientation. Whoa!, but the cuff folding up was a jean style “back in the day”. While Woody had no “rules”, this is whatchayado today http://tinyurl.com/yc3pqbvr

What also struck me was “looking” through the window! Didn’t anyone? Whoa… I don’t remember “chairs” at CC nor Hollywood Riv akin to these plastic, molded stackables. What a PITA they musta been when cleaning! Can’t see them? See what one is worth today…unless of course Woody only got “knock-offs”…did they even have such things back them?: http://tinyurl.com/y9nuno8z Alas, for me….’62-’63 wasn’t it just wooden picnic tables/benches???

Re your Dad’s pic Kevin: No offense intended, but those looked like Bell-Bottoms he was wearing….Oooeee!
    In contrast and “in my youth back East”, wore a pair of navy blue pants with a stitched white seam, that tapered down (to the ankle) to what we called “Pegged Pants” http://tinyurl.com/y7663kfe ….hated the B-Bs; and them per getting in and out with my size 12 feet!!!!
    Whoa!!! as YOU didn’t say and if that wasn’t yer Mom, it was OK to “squeeze” a Chica back then…albeit not today!!! Elsewise, your Dad had good taste!!!!

Lastly Kevin, as you didn’t define when “I remember Woody’s as a child…” was, did you perhaps grow up to attend Culver City High in the early ’60s and perhaps know Sharrie Williams?

Hasta to all, and to All a Good Night!

• Phil A. says:

~ Thursday 2 ~ Woody in the cooler ?

I have been studying and enjoying the photos which Keven S. just posted.
    Please check out the heavy long sleeve sweat shirt Woody is wearing.
    The only thought that comes to mind is that he was doing a project in the walk in cooler like installing shelving or whatever.

Other reasons I think the store was newly opened is the concrete bumper curbs look brand new as does the asphalt parking lot.
    Woody was 31 years old and Don was about 10 years younger.

~ Thursday ~ Welcome Kevin ! ~

I must say that I could not believe my eyes when I saw the Kevin Steinke name
    posted on the marquee. Many of us here on this site have been hoping that some one well connected with the early Woody days would find us and would be willing to share some informative comments.
    And ……. you shared two priceless photos as well !

The photo of your uncle Don with Ralph Wood looks to me to be from 1956 or
    1957 as the Cedar trim boards near the roof appear to be so new.
    It so much fun to see the earliest uniform creations with Ralph Wood wearing one. We only knew Mr. Wood from his later years when he wore a white shirt with tie and worked in the office. Such a hoot to imagine Woody working his grill with your uncle Don at the cash register, or vice versa . Well done Kevin and THANK YOU so much for sharing.
    I will reprint the photo and showcase it the Woody’s Album which I assembled
    several years ago.
    Yes indeed, your photos are of the #1 store on Sepulveda in Culver City.

About four years ago, I was fortunate to have several phone conversations
    with your uncle Don and he related that he was yet active to some degree with KFC and perhaps some pizza outlets (??) in the Sacramento area.
    I see he has relocated to La Quinta, so I only ASSUME he has retired.
    Also, I now wonder if you yourself are involved in the restaurant business
    and if you worked with your uncle during the past decades.
    If not, what career path have you followed ?

Kevin, I do not know if you are interested in returning to this site, and I hope you are. In any case, please connect with me at my email.
    ~ [email protected] ~

I must thank you once again Kevin.
    Wow ! I am going to sleep good tonight.

• Kevin Steinke says:

My Uncle is Don Steinke. He is mentioned in some of your writings…

I remember Woody’s as a child.. We would eat there all the time!
    Think it was on Sepulveda?

I have a picture of him here (on the right).
    In front of the restaurant with his uniform on!

I also found a picture of my Dad (Dean Steinke) posing in front of the sign!

• mark husar says:

Phil,
    I appreciate your sending the link. I doubt if I would have discovered this on my own.
    I will keep you posted as to my progress as move forward.

Mark

• Phil A. says:

~ Thursday ~ Sharing the path.

Hello Mark H.

This is the path I found most valuable : wwii-pow.mooseroots.com ~
    My father in law became a POW at the opening of the Battle of the Bulge.
    If your relatives were NOT POWS, this site can still offer you other links such as ” Enlistment Records ” and ” Related Records “.

Be very careful when perusing this site as it is easy to overlook a link which just might be the one you need. Also, scroll down slowly to the very end.
    I found this mooseroots.com by accident, using the following path;

I started search with : Soldiers Name, US ARMY, WW2 POW, Germany 1944
    Of course you will change out words to meet your needs.
    Mark, I hope this info proves to be of great benefit to you. Drop us a line if you meet with a degree of success.

Admittedly, our Woody’s GrillMeisters were good…snarky/snark/chuckle/chuckle…albeit at checking out Gals through the smoky glass darkly. While checking a restaurant in MA for a possible Gift Card, I ran across video of a grill that is actually inside the restaurant. For a better demonstration however, I’ll pass this vid along…. http://tinyurl.com/ycabvhuo Anyone seen one where Y’all live? How’s the food? Is that what I don’t get for living in the middle of a desert?

[Pardon if I may: Certainly, for those who do prayers/invocations/et al, now is the time for Folks in unbelievable CA. Also, would think the Red Cross would appreciate any help possible. Thanks]

• Mark Husar says:

Hello Phil,
    Your post concerning the research on the military record flamed up an interest for me. I am interested in the same research for my family members who were in the military but refused to discuss it when they were alive.
    Would you be willing to share with us the links to the sites you have visited?

Mark

~ Wednesday ~ Remembering Charles Cramer ~

This mornings news coverage of the Skirball fire in Bel Air brought forth immediate memories of Mr. Cramer who lived in this exact area for many decades. Mr. Cramer was an equal partner with his nephew in the origination and ownership of the Woody’s SmorgasBurgers.

Mr. Cramer downsized from this neighborhood around 1979 to take up apartment living in the Leisure World complex with his long time wife.
    A son and a daughter continued to live in the Bel Air area with their families, and in fact may yet remain there to this day.

I have wondered why Mr. Cramer decided to partner with Mr. Wood in a chancy Culver City burger stand, instead of reuniting with his former Mayfair Markets partner, Edwin Fox. Mr. Fox returned to the supermarket business and grew his FOX Markets into another major player along with substantial drug store investments. Both men were lifelong buddies.

During my tenure at Woody’s I had very little interaction with Mr. Cramer
    as I would mostly see him only at the office during a monthly meeting.
    I learned so much more about him after I began researching his life on various internet sites plus informative comments posted here by others.
    I wish I had been in a position to work alongside him as I understand he was a great teacher and mentor.

~ Friday ~ Remembering Mr. Wood ~

I had spent some amount of time researching my father in laws service record
    during his time with the US Army in WWll.
    When finished, I thought I would look up our mentor, Mr. Wood.
    One of the sites led to this link which features a well written bio PLUS a high school yearbook PHOTO of our young Woody. ( 1943 )

Go to Google and type in ; ” Ralph M. Wood Jr. South Pasadena High School.”
    Mr. Wood was 19 and 20 when serving with General Patton’s 3rd Army ,
    which of course liberated Bastogne during Christmas of 1944.

So, in the spirit of Christmas 2017 ;
    I have an original Smorgasburger coffee mug which I will place among
    all the other ornaments already decorating our tree. Right up front !
    I think Mr. Wood will be pleased.

~ Wednesday ~ Woody’s would be closed for Thanksgiving ~

Bob,
    Great to see your holiday posting with the fun links.
    All seems well here in Dublin and I am thankful for that.
    I am also thankful that this site has continued to endure with
    such a high level of interesting comments and shared links.

I have always had fun being the person to remind everyone
    not to forget the Cranberry sauce.
    Watch and see , I bet I’ll be the one to forget tomorrow !
    Join me in a toast to happy family gatherings.

In the Spirit of the Day…and given we be talking about food…http://tinyurl.com/y9257mec
    A Deep Thought: http://tinyurl.com/y8bzp4y4 Plus 1: http://tinyurl.com/ycufv8qd

~ Saturday ~ The Patman Meat & Provisions Co. ~

Yes, all the Smorgies as well as the 8oz. Kings and 10 oz Hamburger Steaks were prepared by the Patman CO and they indeed used paper separator papers for all sizes. Jerry Walter and I arranged for a tour of the Patman processing plant. Jerry had a keen interest in doing that kind of stuff.
    I am sure all meat purveyors used the same system, otherwise all the grill men throughout Boss Angeles would play hell getting the patties to separate.

Who remembers how the in house French dressing was made ?

************************************************************************
    Bob of the Village,
    Please contact me via email ; [email protected]

Evan,
    Please contact me at above email as well. Thanks guys.

***************************************************************************

– Phil…Ok, how about paper between the SmorgasBurgers?
    – Anyone remember Steak “Umms”? Just discovered they still exist and have paper in between ’em.

– Evan, Alas: http://tinyurl.com/y8f454t6
    I could not “get into” Soupy’s pie throwing. HOWEVER, back in the days of Ernie Kovacs (not always easy to “get” per being so far over the edge at times): a seeming separate commercial came on featuring what was known as a Coty (makeup) Gal. You saw the top of a wide brimmed, summer hat. Slowly the bent head began to lift up to show the face of an intoxicating/enigmatic women. Her oft repeated line in a sultry voice as seen/heard in previous commercials was: “I’m….the Coty Girl!” Before she got “Girl” out, she was smacked with a pie. I remember it so distinctly being one summer eve…I laughed and laughed and then in spurts all night long…primarily at myself for getting “caught” thinking it was to be a legit commercial vs being expected as on SS. Several times I’ve done/did Google video searches e.g. http://tinyurl.com/y9cw9qsj , but too lazy today!
    – Stocks? Been there, done that. 5K when the stratosphere roller coaster plans began. Then there was some hanky-panky and it went bust but look at all the schtick they still have atop it…http://www.stratospherehotel.com/Attractions…click Thrill Rides and Jump….Geesh!

~ Sunday 2 ~ Hardy Boys and the Lone Ranger ~

Evan my man,

No, I am not a broker …… just think of myself as a ” metals man” who became infatuated with GOLD doubloons on the Hardy Boys TV show and the SILVER bullets in the Lone Rangers gun belt. I thought it would be cool to go through life owning SILVER mines like John Reid.

Playing the metals game is like shooting craps in Vegas as there are just so many ways to play once you step up to the table. I have been in it for more than three decades and when times are good for me, I resent the weekends because the markets are closed.
    And when times are bust ….. well, there is no telling how long and low the cycle will last.
    Reminds me of 1961 when Woody closed down #5 ( Fish house ) and #6 ( Vermont ) followed by #3 ( Gardena ) in 1964. One has to be willing to turn the page and move on.

• Phil A. says:

~ Sunday ~ The double H & H combo ; ( Hysterically Historical )

Evan,
    U tube is a fabulous site for the Soupy fans. My favorite is ” Soupy and Pookie do Motown “. This will wake you up if played early AM.
    To finish up on Soupy’s career, he went on to NY and did a lot of stuff.
    As far as I know, he was an okay guy with family and friends.

Ron __ was the opening manager for the Carvery / SmorgasBurger unit in Woodland Hills ( late 1967 ). The unit was on the ground floor in a brand new office building which also features a stock brokerage firm. After the weekday lunch rush was over, Ron would go over to the brokers office where he got suckered into low cost stocks. In order to help juice up his new purchase, Ron would call the other Woody’s managers and hawk the stock.
    Yes, I got sucked in. The company was Micro Copper which had ownership of a uranium mine in Utah.

Ron was the manager at Culver City in 1964, and was the guy who hired be in as a lineman. So, I knew him for more that 3 years prior to these stock calls.
    Anyway, in July of 1968, Ron was gone without explanation. Many years later it occurred to me that Ron’s time at the brokerage may have been the reason.
    But what did I know ?

I hear a call for dinner. Back in the future to finish up.
    PA

• Evan Zang says:

Phil, glad you’re back. At least now we can stop playing our vinyl albums backwards listening for “Phil is dead.” Or was that Paul? Seriously though, I’ve noticed, Phil, that you appear to enjoy watching the markets. Are you a stock broker or day trader? About 25 years ago I made the mistake of acting on a “hot stock tip” from a relative. I lost about $10,000 after the stock and the market crashed (the market ultimately rebounded, but the stock never recovered). I’ve made other investments since then, but I never again owned a stock, especially after learning the hard way: Unless you are on the “inside” (like Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen in Wall Street), then you are on the “outside,” and as such, all bets are off.

• Evan Zang says:

Did I hear Phil correctly? Soupy Sales? This is “hysterically historical!” As a kid, Soupy Sales (born Milton Supman) was my absolutely favorite television personality. Sale’s rocky career began in 1953 in Detroit. By 1960, needing work, The Soupy Sales Show moved to California, and aired on ABC in Los Angeles. The show featured slapstick-style pie throwing, selected off-color jokes, and original songs such as “Do the Mouse.” and “The Soupy Shuffle.” Soupy’s television “friends” featured a couple of enormous dogs (White Fang and Black Tooth), Pookie the Lion, and Hippy, the hippopotamus. Celebrities fought to get on the show so Soupy could slam them with whipped cream pies. (Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. we’re both splattered in one memorable episode.) Sadly, ABC cancelled the show in March 1961, but it continued as a local program on KABC until January, 1962. In late 1962, the show briefly returned to the ABC network as a late night fill-in for The Steve Allen Show, but was canceled after only three months. Evidently parents and many middle aged adults couldn’t handle Sales’s offbeat, pie tossing humor. You can (as I did) purchase many of the surviving black & white Soupy Sales Show episodes on DVD, as well as CDs of Soupy’s albums. Great stuff not to ever be forgotten.

• Phil A. says:

~ Thursday night ~ Chowder & cheese.

Bob,
    When we crisscrossed the cheese slices, the pile looked exactly like the link you posted. Well done Bob ! No, we did NOT use a paper of any kind.

We keep our pantry stocked with the Progresso line of chowders all year long.
    New England and Chicken Corn with Bacon are our favorites.
    It seems I cannot have a sandwich of any kind for lunch unless I have a bowl of soup to go with it.

Tomorrow is a big 3rd quarter reporting day for many public companies.
    I hope I am not sick ….. had better check the cabinet for Pepto.

RE “Caution & Fair Warnings”..if that refers to Bregman’s 14 home runs in 5 mins. clip, I accidentally ran across it several months ago.

Ha,ha…CrissCrossing the cheese! These are the minor…forgotten… tidbits/details that “flavor” this Woody’s blog. Out of curiosity, I checked Google to find this fuzzy pic http://i.imgur.com/NiQVtja.jpg ! Wasn’t there a paper…butcher’s/wax?…. also between each one?

Speaking of Ritz…I remember an appetizer my Mom would make with a snippet of bacon atop cheeder atop the Ritz quickly put under the broiler…possibly with a cut of tomato? Over the years, I drifted to Saltines especially with a dab of butter when having New Mexican dishes in lieu of a tortilla.
    -Per wintry soups, consider some ‘New England (not Manhattan) Clam Chowder’, e.g. Progresso’s if ya never had. However only if ya can find something similar to this vintage classic http://tinyurl.com/yddv6cws Doubt if Y’all will find them if Ohioans ain’t into clam chowder, but order somethin akin via WallyMart http://tinyurl.com/yatrk5mm Ya ya ya….why are they called that http://tinyurl.com/y7x7vhho

• Phil A. says:

~ Thursday ~ Caution & Fair Warnings ……. plus Kraft cheese.

Bob of the Village,

I won’t ask you how you knew, but if you care to share this would be fun to learn. In any case, I do need to thank you for posting your warning with us.
    Whenever I see the phrase ” fair warning ” I usually hit my ” take action ” button as it has worked so well for me in the past.
    ( like departing LA in October of 1970 ….. 4 months prior to the Northridge quake . )

The Woody’s item for today ; The American and Swiss cheese used at Woody’s were Kraft products which were made in 5 lb. blocks.
    The cheese was pre sliced, but as a convenience to the grill master we took the cheese block and pulled the slices apart. We then crossed them on a paper plate so the corners were exposed. This afternoon chore made it so much easier for the broiling of the Swedish and Swiss burgers.
    The kicker to this little story is ; this cheese slice separation was performed by a crewman who did not wear cloves, latex or otherwise.
    Sanitary gloves were non existent ! The crewman would be doing all kinds of chores throughout his shift and then instructed to separate the cheese without washing his hands. Yikes !!!
    And remember, this was all done exhibition style on the counter.

Even with the gloves today, I see food prep employees doing some awful things and then NOT changing out for a fresh pair before resuming the sandwich making ….. or whatever. Yikes !!!

I hope I am not spoiling your lunch.

~ Wednesday 2 ~ Alex Bregman and the Gazzarri Dancers ~

The only additional excitement I could stand for this World Series is to have a pregame show featuring the Gazzarri Dancers. A postgame show would be cool too.
    My last work day at Woody’s Redondo was a Friday. In hindsight, I should have hired the Gazzarri Dancers to perform in the dining room and give myself a fun filled sendoff. ( with the massive stone fireplace as a backdrop )

Yes Bob, I did heed your tip about Alex from your October 25th posting.
    My wife and I wanted to bet each other on the games, but had yet to decide which person should get the Dodgers. After reading your posting I spoke up and said I would take the Astros. I saw your second fair warning and I am having good vibes about it.

Regarding the Admiral Risty soups ; I was guesstimating the retail would be $14.95 per serving only because of the astonishing lease payments at the Risty. I did look up the current menu pricing on the soup offerings and they are all $ 9.75 per bowl. If an unlimited bread basket is offered, I could possibly do this.

My favorite school days lunch featured Campbell’s Tomato Bisque soup made with 75% milk and 25% half and half. ( NOT WATER as per label )
    I would then take a handful of Ritz crackers and crush them on top of the soup. Being the lunch hour,we watched Soupy Sales who was then doing his shows out of Detroit. At some point Soupy relocated to LA to do his show.
    Remember Black Tooth and White Fang ?
    PS ~ I still do the soup and Ritz cracker combo during the winter months here in Ohio.
    I must get out to restock the snacks for tonight’s game.

• Phil A. says:

~ Wednesday ~ ” fun times, learning times ”

Evan, I think you could very well be the only guy on the entire planet who enjoyed a stint at Woody’s SmorgasBurger and then had your music recorded at the iconic Gold Star Studios. I would have loved to tour the studios and see some live recording sessions. Plus, you ended up in Scottsdale !

Soups? Soups? Who doesn’t remember a (hearty/non obese) supper consisting of a bowl of Campbell’s tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich laid out on a TV tray while watching http://tinyurl.com/nh834ga! /???
    Of course today’s kids have Lobster Bisque per throwing in a couple of slivers of lobster meat from Mom’s leftover Lobster Roll and fancying up the GC by using Mayo instead of butter with which to saute the bread!

Seriously? a bowl of soup for $14.95? ID the culprit!!! NO WAY! Ok, a good, properly done French Onion is somewhat labor intensive. For those into today’s Nouveau Mexican who lust for a good cup/bowl of Fideo, I always thought that Folks squirted a bit of Hun’t ketchup into Lipton Noodle soup (and later added a sprinkle from a Pizza Hut pepper packet) or my aunt did the same for her Especial Thanksgiving Day Soup, ala Lipton Vegetable soup!!!!
    BTW, are you sodium conscious? A bowl of P F Changs Hot and Sour Soup is only 9590 mg…i.e. a tad above the Amer Heart Assoc’s recommended 1,500-2000 mgs

“Chow!”

AGAIN: Caution and a fair warning RE the Series: http://tinyurl.com/yayaa484

~ Saturday ~ Koufax & Woody’s Alpine Malt ~

The last time I saw the Dodgers play was during the summer of 1966.
    This would be Sandys final season on the field, while I had just been promoted to the managers job in El Segundo, which was home to the Chocolate Alpine Malts. ( Wendy’s copied with their ” Frosty ” )

~ Friday ~ Chicken or soup ….. or Chicken soup .

Most restaurant venues have been featuring chicken on their menus for some time now. ( Except IN N Out ) We have the traditional fried chicken sandwich plus the nuggets and the strips. All well and good, as who can eat hamburgers all week long.

I just received a marketing ad from the Admiral Risty telling us about their
    new lineup of soup offerings for the fall season menu. There are eight different offerings and all claim to be made in house.
    I hope they can be bought for less than 14.95 per bowl.

I bring this soup issue up only because I had always thought the Woody’s Smorgasburgers could have and should have upgraded the quality of their soup offerings. A Woody soup retailed for .25 cents. Woody could have offered some really top quality gourmet soups with a retail of .35 or. 39 cents.
    Since we did not have fries, the soups would have made a fabulous side.
    But what did I know ………

• Evan Zang says:

Phil, welcome back. You were missed. Chicken dinners? I don’t recall ever ringing one up at the cash register. It was all burgers and steaks – great heart attack food. I just realized the first posting on my social security statement was for my meager earnings at Woody’s Redondo Beach. Although I had held other small jobs beginning at 15, this was the first time I was not paid under the table. I earned $1.05 an hour, with regular “nickel raises.” Until I joined a popular band and earned considerably more, my $1.05 seemed like a small fortune to me, and allowed me to purchase my first (and only) motorcycle. The restaurant work was fairly hard yet always fast and fun. I learned a lot about the business, and, how important it was to treat customers well. Fun times. Learning times. Great co-workers. It’s no wonder we continue to visit this site to recall the “good old days” at Woody’s.

Love coincidences! Speaking of Woody taking it to the next level to keep up/surpass competition…might this have worked http://tinyurl.com/ycf6yacn in terms of updating the original condiment bar?

Chicken? Chicken? Alas, t’wasn’t there by the end of my time at Redondo (Junish? ’63)…LOL Bravo for Woody(?) trying to Dance as Fast as He Could by not resting on his laurels when competition must’ve been nipping at his heals. Were there any problems of Cross-Contamination (existing, but unknown of early on(?)) cropping up with its introduction?

Indeed, two Greats from way back when…RIP the past few days!
    Fats and Blueberry Hill et al: In my Birthtown, we had a Fort Hill (LOL) as one place to espy from for any enemy planes as a carryover from WWII so many, many years before my Coming of Age…OMG only 11 of them…to seek my Thrill!!!. Originally, The Pawtuckett Indians actually set up a Fort there in 1669 as protection from attacks by the Mohawks. (The other place, instead of atop a hill, was along the Merrimack River where we could watch the submarine races (For FREE!) in peacetime too.
    Sax? Sax? One of the best songs to dance to in a ballroom http://tinyurl.com/zg47c9j would be this http://tinyurl.com/kajufdt on a night alternating with a Rock n Roll record hop in a stinky gym! OMG! If dancing could have been with Keely Smith http://tinyurl.com/m5xmwpg Best if done with her to this http://tinyurl.com/c3wwfv6 Look the “first row honor” given to the Sax. So sad, most of Y’all herein missed this rapidly fading Midpoint… this grand transitioning from one era to another!
    – Alas Robert Guillaume died as well. Remember the “sophisticated” series known as Soap http://tinyurl.com/y7a57alj​ which amongst others like (later Benson) All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Barney Miller, etc. continued to “smooth” the era of JFK/LBJ? (Actually? What is a Soap. It is a show of Secrets that is therein culminating (Spoiler Alert!) in this Icon of Secrets http://tinyurl.com/y9ud8kdz I couldn’t resist including from a later episode.

~ Wednesday ~ Lessons learned @ age 72.

Bob and Evan ,
    Thanks again for your level of concern regarding my absence.
    You guys are great ! Checking the Ohio obits was smart. ( Yikes ! )
    In the future I will make it known in advance if and when I plan a hiatus
    from the Woody’s site. Otherwise, smaller breaks would indicate longer and more frequent nap times.

During my tenure at Redondo Beach the chicken dinners were still featured on the menu. I do not remember even trying the chicken. It was such a poor seller that I had trouble remembering the pricing at the register.

My question for both of you Redondo guys is: what was your opinion on the chicken dinners ?

A really sad day for me after learning that Fats Domino has passed away.
    I never had the pleasure of seeing Fats in concert although he came to Detroit often when on tour. In the early sixties, I was not aware that such tours even existed. For many years now, I have been enjoying his past concerts on U Tube
    and the new material available only gets better and better.

I loved all the songs Fats put out in the 50’s , but did not realize the reason why until I was much older. It was the multiple Saxophone players !
    Fats instilled my love for the Sax. I bought one years ago just to display on our fireplace hearth . Rest in peace Mr. Domino.

” I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill ”

Alas “…singing in the shower..” (Really Phil? an imagine I really don’t need!) At last: arising from the almost dead….we’ll take that!
    RE “… feedback here had diminished…” Alas, I haven’t dug into the neuroscientific research, but I hypothesize it might be helpful to press…exercise…our synaptic cerebral connections by recalling what has been stored deeply in even insignificant memory to possibly help whatever is yet to be found to be needed neuroscientifically for us to remember what we did just yesterday or had for lunch today!
    E.g. a recent seeing of the “stove pipe” in the iconic Woody’s pic, prompted me to wonder in today’s world of Eco-PC, how did Folks deal with the wondrous, smoky smell of broiler beef interfacing with the exotic smell of eucalyptus trees which I often associated as being “Palos Verdes” just up the hill from HollywoodRiv/Redondo. Alas, there were no eucalyptus trees when growing up in MA. How many WoodySmorgasBurger Munchers can recall the smell (of mostly gone) Orange Groves that I couldn’t believe existed the first time I experienced them there, which otherwise were probably taken for granted….LOL
    (Completely OFFTRACK: For you Dodger Fans: Keep this https://t.co/doX4EF4CN9 in mind in the days ahead. Did I mention my S-i-L coached him in Little League! LOL)

Well Evan, I must say…LOL…You certainly have a way with words! E.g. “At our ages, it’s not good when someone “checks out” unexpectedly.” While I don’t know how perfect this http://www.legacy.com/search is, hopefully we can take some solace it isn’t showing an Ankofski in Ohio the past 6 months. Don’t know about you, but I worry about a variety of more dreadful things happening than ending up in an Obit column. Also in not knowing about you, but because of the fun times/memories I’ve had herein, I’ve put it on a list I’m hoping my kids will contact after they’ve enjoyed spending the largesse I’m trying to leave behind.
    Pardon lest I repeat myself, http://tinyurl.com/l5zxc68

~ Tuesday ~ Singing in the shower …OR ?

First of all, many thanks to Bob and Evan for your concerns and sending out alerts here on this site before sending out a rescue team to my home .
    2017 has been a very quiet year here on the Woody’s site with several major players withdrawing from participation. I have suspected for some time that
    guys were bringing their morning coffee over to their monitors, then read the recent comments posted by others, and then pass over without typing anything for us.

As for myself, I realized I was having more fun singing in the shower, only because there I could get feedback echoes from the shower stall walls.
    Since the feedback here had diminished to such a low point, I thought I would go AWOL from the site to learn if anyone new or old would step up to the plate
    and perhaps inspire some renewed participation.

We have covered a lot of ground since our opening days when we first talked about only the damn Woody salsa and chopped peanuts.
    I, as much as anyone, would love to see this site reboot and flourish for at least a couple more years. Who knows ? ……we will see soon enough.
    So…… in the coming days, I will try to come up with an interesting posting
    ( either historic or hysterical for Evan ) about Woody’s SmorgsBurger.

Evan; I found it very interesting that you were heading out to Houston to make a difference. It is wonderful to see people push the ” take action ” button.
    Bob; Kudos to you for hanging in here on site for so long. Years ago, you were the first to appear here and got all this started. Thanks !

• Evan Zang says:

Yes, Bob, we have not heard from Phil (our fearless leader) since August 11. At our ages, it’s not good when someone “checks out” unexpectedly. A while back I didn’t contribute anything for quite awhile, content to simply read everyone else’s posts. In any case, Phil, come back when you can!

Ok Evan, Chris, Marshall…pardon, et al…does anyone know…with all due respect to Privacy… what’s up with Phil? Hopefully, on a world cruise out of cell phone reach?

Be that as it may: Might any of Y’all report on what “environmental”/zoning challenges Y’all faced in terms of the savory emissions emitting from the stove-pipe chimneys as years went by? Lest I be wrong: was there AC at CC or Hollywood Riv/Redondo?

• Evan Zang says:

I didn’t know Woody’s even offered a Teriyaki hamburger!

• L. Leong says:

Anyone still taste Woody’s teriyaki burger? Yummers…..

• Chris P. says:

Bob,
    We had the same sign in Culver City as was at the hollywood Riviera store.
    During the 70’s the City of Culver City changed the sign regulations so we had to remove the lower part of the sign take out the motor and lower what was left (the upper sign) about 10 feet. SO it was just one sign on a lower pole. We disposed of the unusable part. Eventually, when we replaced the restaurant with a whole new concept,the whole sign had to go.
    The Redondo Woodys signed for awhile with all the different restaurants that followed it but a few years ago when the restaurant was raised and replaced with Rock N Brew the sign was removed. his, of course, is from my limited memory. Hope this helps.

Yo…Does anyone know what happened to the iconic Woody’s sign, e.g. Redondo/Hollywood Riv? Did it just get trashed in a dump or crushing machine?
    – So sad we weren’t yet into digital cameras, that would have saved so many of the regular Guests, Staffs, and fun times.

Love coincidences Evan: My Ex was an RN and while living in Vegas for her to do her 2 years for Loan Repayment per getting her MSN at Vandy to be an NP and then becoming a CNM, we lived on Ennis Court!!! Perhaps your wife might consider passing on to the sparrows she may have under her wing from time to time, info on the National Health Service Corps program for advanced degrees http://tinyurl.com/morsomc The repayment is in addition to whatever normal salary one negotiates and there are lots of sites not way out in the boonies!
    – Am surprised am not hearing a little more on the news of this http://tinyurl.com/yaw5d8hq (go ahead and Clap-along, it’s to be expected) . Alas, for Millennials http://tinyurl.com/y8b838pg
    Elsewise: God Bless on your mission to Houston et al.