Woody’s Smorgasburger IV

The legendary Woody’s Smorgasburger chain continues to attract so much attention that we can’t contain all its messages in one forum.  Visit the others to read what has been said but post your new comments in this thread.

451 Responses to Woody’s Smorgasburger IV

• mark Husar says:

BTW, location was Redondo Beach!!!

• mark Husar says:

Hello all,
    I have watched the board over the months and would pose this question to the site managers and perhaps the district manager.

At the Woody’s location , approximately 1970 maybe 1971, can someone name the managers at that time frame?
    I remember employees and can name a few if it helps to narrow down the search:
    Pat, Jim, Evan, Mike. I believe the managers name was Phil, but not sure.

Thanks

Yo Phil et al….
    – After the NoonRush = Professional types: Yes, I remember chatting off n on with a Child Psychologist from H-R synced to 2 pm.
    – Coffee pots by Newspapers…indeed, possibly a vague memory. Maybe the counter space to the right of the Register’Man” where Mr. Wood would stand when he dropped in?
    – Papers at CC…Yes, I’d wonder about a wall space as well.
    – OMG! Yes, the new CA quake Fault: At 5Kish feet, ABQ is in a bowl rising to 10K on the East and 1K on the West. About 30 miles west, land slopes back down. Some of us land speculators are thinking of buying up that area as to be the new LA/HollyWood etc. In actuality, the lowest NM gets is around 2500 ft and thus the notation High Desert.
    – Speaking of which, no one was mentioned a ‘service interruptus’ caused by a quake or good tremor. Odd.
    – “…I don’t even use ice, but Mary Ann uses a lot, a whole lot!”
    My God (or gawd as might be the case) Man!….how do you make a decent Mai Tai!!!??? Elsewise, boogey on over to WallyMart to pick up a couple of these http://tinyurl.com/z5r235j to surprise her for e.g. Mother’s Day! Personally, I prefer the aluminum ones with the thingamajig ya pulled up!

~ Monday ~ Always Hamburger Steak Special Night @ .99 cents.

Hey Bob, I had the same thoughts after reading Chris’s comments about the urinals. Sundays during the football season had to be a challenge for everyone regarding the restrooms.

When Chris was implementing all these interesting and profitable changes,
    I wonder if Mr. Wood had been stopping in when he was in the area.
    Mr. Wood was only in his late 50’s and 100% active when all this new stuff was going on in El Segundo. I would have loved to join him and Chris in the dining room and learn the reactions.

Chris! You noted: “We had to provide urinals along with a toilet in the men’s room in order to serve beer etc.”
    Whoa!!! Was that in some official ordinance/code?
    Most importantly: Was there a rationale for that?
    Didn’t anyone ever look into the role of the “urinal cake” or “urinal screen for butts” lobby in bringing that addition about?
    Given the CA droughts, things nowadays are even more complicated. Whoa! a waterless urinal? http://tinyurl.com/py5l5s9
    Did you put any “cutesy” signs above them, e.g. Beer Recycling Only.
    Whoa! apparently these e.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BEDUS6 went on the market much later. Can only imagine some CA legislators…promoting equality….. would’ve dictated you had to supply a urinal in the Gal’s facility AND, like complimentary toilet paper, provide those Urinators….no pun intended Arnold!
    Who’d ever think serving a burger would be so complex???!!!!

~ Saturday 2 ~ Credit where credit is due …….

I would very much like to use this space to give Chris Pingel a special” Thank You ” for his postings and comments. They are always so jammed with facts and details that are not obtainable anywhere else. So interesting Chris !

Our comment count here is now approaching 1300 including the Woody’s Gallery site. This has been accomplished by all of us chipping in and I hope
    we can all make it to the 1500 count. I now think it is doable.
    Thank you all !

~ Saturday ~ Always a busy day at the Woody’s units ……

Bob , the coffee station at Redondo was very popular. The patrons there were more professional types who had more time to hang around after they finished their lunch. There were many guys who came in around mid afternoon and drank coffee with their buddies. ( like a breakfast club ).

Since Redondo had so much room, the coffee station was on the same wall as the newspaper rack and closer to the dining room.
    I am ALMOST positive that Culver City did NOT have the newspapers.
    For one thing, there was no wall space available like Redondo.
    I also do not remember having to mess with them as part of the opening prep work. ( I may have to stand corrected on this issue at CC )

Yes, the mountaineer logo guy on the matchbooks looks pretty skinny.
    I do not know why the better looking ” grandpa ” was not used.

The Green Chile Burgers look fantastic ! I need to board the Southwest Chief
    and get my ass out there. ( before the quake on the newly discovered fault line
    just a few miles west out in the ocean …… Yikes ! )

High tech burger flippers …… I have nothing to offer. It took 2 and 1/2 months and 8 service calls to get my Whirlpool freezer door ice maker
    repaired. F ____K high tech. The inexperienced leading the stupid or the other way around.
    And I don’t even use ice, but Mary Ann uses a lot, a whole lot !

• Chris Pingel says:

Coffee in California runs between 2 and 3 dollars a cup. Free refills.
    In finer restaurants Coffee can be as much as $5.00.
    The only reason you’re not getting refills as fast as you like is that the place you go is, probably, short staffed or your server is just lazy or doesn’t care about making any tips.
    If I’m going to breakfast, one thing, I really want is hot coffee right away and someone letting me know they will be right with me. I like refills when I’m ready. I’m pretty picky. I’m a big tipper if the service is good, if not, just average 15%. I give breakfast servers more because the amount of the bill is not, usually too much but they still work hard. Better to work in anexpensive dinner house like the Risty. You can make a lot of money in one night.
    That’s it for now.
    Chris P.

Ha ha…To all you Hot-Shot Woody’s Burger Flippers….Holster your spatula and meet RoboMan (or Person if need to be PC) http://tinyurl.com/hclx2cf Gone will be the “ting” or ‘tang’ sound you made hitting the grill! Am sure the Salad Man could have a discrete remote to make it do a Smash to create an impressive Flare-Up for a Chica passing the Grill Glass!

• Chris Pingel says:

I remember after the split we put in Diet Rite Cola, the first, I believe, of the diet colas. We used a seperate drink despenser for that. We still had the root beer barrels back then. We, eventually, took the barrels out to put in newer dispensers with more nozzles and were more tech. advanced. You didn’t have to clean and maintain the barrel, which was kind of a pain. I wish I kept the root beer barrels. They’re, probably worth a fortune now.
    Phil wanted me to mention beer and how we handled that.
    We, first had to get a beer and wine lic. That was an experience in itself, but, I don’t want to get into that now.
    We had to provide urnals along with a toilet in the men’s room in order to serve beer etc. That was a challenge with such small restrooms.
    We put in a custom beer dispenser with, I believe 6 nozzles. We started out wiht Budweiser products on the dispensers. We sold both schooners and mugs (ice cold). We also had bottled beer. Corona, Miller lite long necks, and a few others. I can’t remember now.
    We also carried specialty German beer brewed right at Alpine Village in Torrance and delivered to us. We were very lucky to be one of a very few customers to be able to sell this great German beer. I sold it for twice the price of the regular beers because it was quite a bit more expensive. I sold a lot.
    Only employees over 18 could serve beer to customers. No exceptions. We had to be sure people were of age, of course. If they were buying by the pitcher we had to see everyone’s id that was goint to be sharing.
    You would not want to lose your license. I don’t remember having any problems with employees drinking. I had a very strick policy.
    Beer and wine were very profitable and brought in more people, especially on game days. Remember, El Segundo, was the home of the Raiders. I had the only commercial satallite in El Segundo for awhile so we could get all the games on Sundays and the place was packed. I forgot to mention we put in four big screen tvs, not like the big screens we have today, but pretty good size. The place was packed. Those were fun times.
    We used toc cater the Raider training facilities. Al Davis loved our KSS, (King Swiss). He would always order 2. That’s a pound of meat.
    Hope you all enjoyed this short story.

~ Thursday ~ Good to the last drop …..

For Chris ; I was hoping you would confirm my reason for the absence of dining room coffee stations in todays venues. ( high coffee prices. )
    OR , are there other reasons as well.

Menu prices for coffee around here average $2.30 , which would be okay if the wait staff came around MORE OFTEN to offer warm ups.
    I ask the staff if the management has put the breaks on the amount of warm ups, and they all say ” oh, no ” ……. but I can tell it is all BS.

Some locations, I have to stand up at my seat with coffee cup raised until I get a staff members attention. Mary Ann of course gets embarrassed most of the times, so here is the question; how do I get my fair share of warm ups ?

Yes, I have used the phrase ” frequent warm ups equates to good tips “.

Help ! ……….

A) Sorry! while not denying Y’all, I just can’t envision…am playing the Age Card…. coffee pot/warmers on the condiment bar before June, ’63 in HollyWood Riv. On the other hand, was there an electric socket already built into the bar? Speaking of the bar, how many aluminum bowls were there and the contents thereof….Thousand Island, sliced pickles, ketchup, mustard(?)….X, Y, Z (Elsewise per D-i-Y Sundaes: the gooeyest of marshmallow, cherries, pineapple cubes, chocolate syrup, choppednuts, and ?????) especially circa ’63….with Newbies then thereafter.
    A1) For years, Franchisers were very dictatorially strict in terms of not being able to deviate from their shtick. T’was funny to see them having to become “competitive” in New Mexico when they had to yield to Local Flavor and thus had to go head to head with Mom n Pop places offering Green Chile Cheeseburgers http://tinyurl.com/zntmnws. Here’s what Carl Jr.’s finally succumbed to offering several years ago: http://tinyurl.com/z7ape7u OMG! did they buy Woody’s bowls? Elsewise, many finally opted for the SouthWest style of exterior architecture akin to an adobe building as well as art works in the interior….Too Funny!
    B) Besides the LA Times, Wall St. Journal, and the Daily Breeze in HollyWood Riv was there anything else on the Papers-on-a-stick rack on the wall near the restrooms/entrance to the prep/dishwasher room”/? Were there Papers-on-a-stick at CC? If so, what was there instead of The Daily Breeze? Where were they hung?
    C) Sorry to badger, but Hmmmm….. no one seem to want…dare?… to comment on the change in Woody’s Stout v Slender “figure” http://tinyurl.com/jsrdlet e.g. cup/napkin v matchbook cover? Is there a PC issue I’m being insensitive to? LOL
    D) Did we do anything for St. Paddy’s Day? Give out green tinted carnations to Chica’s? Tint the lemonade green? Alas, I would have said “Slainte” had I known the term back then!
    E) Yo! Ya forgot this one!!!! DWSMSPHCIBBMCAYDTL! Drooling While Slowly Making Salad Per Hot Chica In Bikini Before Me Coming At Ya Down The Line! As another example of Mr. W’s brilliance, he didn’t initiate a dress code back then!

• Chris Pingel says:

We did hae 2 warming units and both did have regular coffee. No decaf. Phil was right. We had packets of Sanka & Postum, whatever that was.
    Even in later years when we put in self serve drink bars we also had coffee and decaf for the customers to help themselves. We no longer made coffee in the big coffee urns. We started making coffee with the drip system and glass pots. You didn’t have to clean the urns, saved a lot of time. The coffee made in urns is still the best. No comparison. You can’t get really hot coffee from a drip system and coffee is made to be served HOT. Served in a warmed mug.
    The Original Pantry downtown Los Angeles still makes thier coffee in the urn and serves it in a mug with thier name on it. I bought two mugs and use them all the time at home.

~ Tuesday ~ Familiar ordering codes for the Woody’s staff ;

S SW SS K KSW KSS M ~

NY TOP KB HS RE FS HAL ~

HD MC ………. It’s been a lot of years my friends.

PA

~ Tuesday ~ Pat Wilbur

If Pat is continuing to monitor this site , please respond and let me know you are still around. I would very much like to cover some ground with you regarding the late 50’s and early 60’s. ( via the phone would be great if you would prefer ).

~ Tuesday ~ Heads Up

The oval Woody’s china platter has been relisted on Ebay @ $20.

~ Monday ~ Andre’s ??????

Well Chris, I would like to learn the story on how you got on the Andre’s track. No matter, your name on the marquee counts for a lot.

The restaurants I patronize around here do not have self serve coffee stations
    like all the Woody’s had at the end of the condiment bars. I guess the price of coffee is the reason as some customers could drink an entire pot !
    Anyway, I think the Woody’s coffee station had a warming unit for two pots.
    I do not remember if there was two pots of regular or if one was for decaf.
    It must have been two regular as I now recall we had Sanka packets for the customers who liked that.

Chris once told me about the time he switched from Root Beer and Coke to the multi choice dispenser in the dining room.
    And then came draft beer ! Too bad I missed out on that !

• chris Pingel says:

Phil,
    I heard that Mr. And Mrs. Wood planned a Tyrolean theme for the Woodys, hence the a-frame building. Thats why the uniform straps, skiing posters, skis, toboggan and ski pole light fixtures were used in the decor. I believe they planned the a-frame and the entire design from the beginning.
    I still have the original toboggon from El Segundo. I’ll take a picture of it soon.

OMG Phil! As I may have noted elsewhere: As my late Vieja was wont to say: “You look! but you don’t see!!!”* Please relook http://tinyurl.com/jsrdlet at the drawings of “Woody” to see the difference between Woody on the matchbook cover and then on the cup and napkin …too funny IMHO! * An example is getting her shoulder length hair cut to a Dorothy Hamill like doo http://tinyurl.com/hwfs7rp. More importantly was the listen/hear combo, where hear meant “obeying”…LOL
    Re taking olives: Bravo! I do the same with a mix of herbs/spices to add to plain olive oil that may accompany the “Welcoming” bread http://tinyurl.com/n9dgdkj. Of course I don’t use the mix at places that serve oil with e.g. infused green chile; smashed fig mixed in; etc.

~ Monday 2 ~ Green olives on the burger ……..

This was not my idea . ” Halo Burger ” is a small regional chain in Michigan that came up with the green olives for a condiment. We love them.

Here at home in Ohio, we buy the small jars of pre sliced green olives with the Pimento. When spooning the olive slices onto the meat patty, much of the Pimento falls to the wayside which is okay by me.

When we do a lunch out at our nearby Wendy’s , we take along a small Tupperware container filled with four tablespoons of the olive slices.
    This allows for two generous servings .
    So Bob , you need not wait till spring !

~ Monday ~ too little / too big ……

Don Steinke was the first manager at Woody’s Culver City . ( 1956/1962 ).
    He had worked with Ralph Wood at two of his prior food venues during the 1951/54 time frame. Anyway, Don told me in a 2015 phone conversation that
    the architect for Culver City had a mandate to come up with the cheapest building design …… thus the A frame.
    After the design was confirmed, I think the Alpine theme fell into place pretty easily with the uniforms and menu names.

Mr. Wood had many different restaurant jobs during his college years so he had been retaining the ideas he liked along the way.
    When Culver City proved to be a ” barn burner ” , plans for the next store in Redondo Beach began to be made. This time the architect was given a much bigger building budget and things went overboard considering this was just going to be a burger stand. ( with terrazzo flooring )

Bob was asking if Mr. Wood had changed over the years. I myself have no way of addressing the question. My four year tenure with him ended in 1968 when he was still a young man. I don’t know , I suppose his kids might be able to answer this one.

Very good point indeed Phil about making sure the dressing is well “chilled”. I’d compare that to taking extra care in serving a Mai Tai very well chilled with crushed ice as that “tempers” the sweetness from being overly so. Simply decreasing the amount of Orgeat syrup would not do. (BTW, I swear the frozen fork did make a difference….LOL I will try sliced olives while BBQing this summer and have made a calendar notation for e.g. 5/17! BTW, would that be a naked olive? one traditionally stuffed with pimento? or garlic? or anchovy? etc. BTW, do Folks know about this http://tinyurl.com/jlcrl4f)? While reflecting that ‘chilling’ something probably creates a chemical process/alteration, the word ‘synergy’ comes to mind, which reflects the situation where the interaction of elements that, when combined, produce a total effect that is greater than the sum of the individual elements, etc. Seems to me ‘synergy’ can also apply to your noting “…but this is yet another example of the benefits of this site where we can all share.”
    – Say, lest I missed it: besides the uniqueness of the condiment bar as making Woody’s popular, the architecture of Woody’s was something that has not been highlighted in it’s on right, e.g. origin/rationale/etc. While it was not the main reason people came (i.e. after initially seeing what it looked like on the inside, it, like the trending ambiance of that era of e.g. Trader Vic’s/Don the Beachcomber; red/black tufted vinyl/leather booths, must’ve been an ‘ingredient’ of a SmorgasBurger as in letting Folks “momentarily get away to the Alps” .
    – Ooo Ooo….did anyone here ever mention how Woody himself changed over time? http://tinyurl.com/jsrdlet OMG, I never considered it!
    Ps: any Comment re Chicken/Tuna being “salads” or bussing “protocol”?

~ Friday ~ two follow ups ~

UTube features a great video on the Spinning Salad preparation. 3 minutes.

When Woody’s opened in 1956, Chris Pingel was 10 years old.

~ Thursday ~ the Spinning salad ~

In my posting of yesterday I expressed how taken I was with Bob’s comment link to the Lawry’s Spinning Salad. I also promised I would be off the next morning to purchase any ingredients that were not already in house.
    Turned out, I only needed to buy the croutons and Sherry wine.

Well , Mary and I just finished our dinner which indeed did feature this FABULOUS salad. We made it EXACTLY like the recipe and did not skip out on any ingredient. So often when we are home cooking a new recipe, we are all so tempted to skip a spice or two that is not already in the pantry.
    There are 15 items going into the dressing of the 3 lettuce types.
    DO NOT SKIP EVEN ONE ITEM FOR THIS SALAD !!!

The dressing is light and flavorful with such a delightful savory taste.
    We each enjoyed a salad prior to our entrée ( Honey baked ham with mashed sweet potatoes ) and then we each had TWO ADDITIONAL servings of the salad while enjoying the entrée as well. ( the salad was then gone ! )

Over the past years I have recommended items to top off your burgers and no one has come back to say they tried it. ( sliced green olives )
    Anyway, if you do not try this salad, you will be doing yourself a very big disservice. Just look up ” Lawry’s Spinning Salad ” recipe.

In the meantime, I must thank Bob for posting the Lawry’s link.
    I know Bob had no idea how big an impact his posting would have, but this is yet another example of the benefits of this site where we can all share.

Just a note about the recipe; Be sure and make the dressing about 4 hours prior to serving your salad and have it chilling in the fridge.
    This is mentioned in the recipe, but not highlighted to well.

Now for the interesting comment on Woody’s.
    The year was 1956 ~ Ralph Wood was 31 years old and his Uncle, Mr. Cramer
    was 57 years old when they opened their first store in Culver City.

~ Wednesday ~ the Spinning Salad ~

Bob of New Mexico , I cannot thank you enough for enclosing the link to Lawry’s Spinning Salad. I do not know how I will sleep tonight as I will be thinking of all the places I will need to go tomorrow in order to buy all the stuff needed to replicate. Damn the cost.

My problem has been that I am running into so many places that are serving limp, crappy salads. We have a favorite spot in Michigan that serves a fabulous Creek salad , but they are 200 miles away.

As time goes by, I find we are better off making a lot of stuff at home instead of enduring the high prices, skimpy ingredients and crappy service.
    ( steaks , enchiladas , tacos , salads and seafood are a few items )
    Now Lawry’s continues to look like the place I would walk in and pay any price for that Prime Rib dinner and salad. The link is beautiful !!

Now I must tie this in with Woody’s to qualify for an official comment.
    Woody’s was great in the mid 1960’s . All the ingredients were very fresh and the three dressings were top quality as well. The best deal was to buy a large salad which was served in a soup bowl without the hellish Romain leaf.
    From the early 70’s onward, the salad offering became even better because Chris introduced new condiment items plus a full salad bar !
    I missed out on all that. ……. damn.

Phil: Per your Sig of “Phil~a lover of really crisp salads~
    I remember dining in a saucer like structure atop a hotel in Kansas City in the ’60s when the Server’s “aide” came by with a napkin upon which precisely lay (or laid?) frozen salad forks to accompany the salad which was then placed down by the Server. Alas, t’was apparently just a fad as have never seen it since. However, as an aficionado apparently, do you freeze your forks for when dining at home? Another question: when having a salad such as a Cobb as your entree, does one, so as not to be gauche, eat it with the “salad” or “dinner” fork? In addition, if also having a soup, which does one eat first? And lastly, do you think it is misleading or a misnomer to call a Chicken Salad or Tuna Salad sandwich a Salad just cuz it has a little chopped up celery in it? (Just a FYI: after the salad, we all shared some Frog Legs as an additional appetizer and, as you probably know, they did taste like chicken!!!!)
    – So…being at an upper pay scale level of Woody’s, did you acquire an affinity for “really crisp salads” by going with others of your ilk (LOL) to dine at Lawry’s on La Cienaga where you were feted from the Spinning Salad Bowl http://tinyurl.com/hsgfnny? (For the life of me, given the many salads I prepared, am I remembering correctly that we asked the Guest if they wanted the beet atop their dressing vs simply plopped it on?! ) Speaking of “White Shirts and Ties”: was that a “distinguishment” started by Woody’s that other places soon followed? In today’s world, would Woody’s be considered a fast food restaurant (why/why not); or a “chain”? If a Guest was having a dinner, i.e. NY Strip or K-Bob, did we go the extra mile and bring their tray out to them or am I thinking we called out their name using a flex-microphone by the register?
    – Lest I’m wrong, I’m thinking most of us started out bussing tables…to be familiar with what went into making us a team…before moving to be a lineman as Glen Campbell would say http://tinyurl.com/pvgtexb. As I don’t remember, was there a protocol to follow, e.g. ya just didn’t boldfacedly clean/scrape off a tray into the cart’s receptacle, e.g. you turned the tray to at least face away from the seated Guests. Your cart needed to be squeeky clean. Today, wiping cloths are apparently soaking in bleach before being used. Was it a plastic or paper liner in the trash receptacle? Etc. One thing that always bugged me whether in a hospital or restaurant, was a maintenance employee swishing an absolutely blackened spaghetti mop over a floor….What-the-Eh was that all about?!

OMG Phil! You are really knocking on my brain….i.e. put your thumb just barely atop the side of your index finger. Put this combo about a half inch from the front side of your forehead and “flip/flick’ your index up striking your thumb and forehead! Indeed, while I never prepared what you described, I remember a crew member shaking some white powdery substance out of a package into the water containing the shredded lettuce. I was told it was to either wash off/dissolve or prevent a “rust-coloredness” from forming on the salad lettuce. Beyond that…. I must agree with this Guy!: http://tinyurl.com/pkwgo94

~ Saturday 2 ~ Follow up on lettuce ? salad ~

As I was saying , in 1967 the lettuce arrived precut in plastic bags.
    But this is all I remember. I do not recall if we opened all the plastic bags and then put the lettuce contents in the aluminum bin with water.

~ OR ~ did we simply put the bagged lettuce in the fridge and bring it up to the front line for serving
    as needed ?

I would love to learn the current methods that the restaurants of today use to keep the lettuce cold, fresh and crisp until it is served to the patrons.

In the days of old when all the venues featured a salad bar, there must have been a good system for preserving the cut lettuce overnight. Yes ?
    ~ OR ~ Did the food handling laws require that it all be thrown out ?

Phil ~ a lover of really crisp salads ~

~ Saturday ~ Overnight lettuce and Romain Leaf preservation ~

Up until 1966/67 Woody’s opening man had the responsibility for preparing
    the lettuce combo which should get the linemen thru the whole day.
    This involved washing and chopping the iceberg lettuce and whatever else was added. The cut lettuce was then stored in a 36″ x 24″ aluminum tub with some amount of water. I guess the water was to get the lettuce super cold
    before it was scooped out and taken up to the line for serving.

Then around 66/67 , the lettuce was bought precut, pre washed and packaged in plastic bags.

Have to run ….. will follow up soon.

~ Thursday ~ Many years in El Segundo ~

It looks like the Woody’s in El Segundo was dealt the perfect storm scenario.

BUT …. having a 42 YEAR run is amazing in anyone’s record book !

Phil ~ Next up ; Overnight salad preservation . ~

• Chris Pingel says:

To our friends of Woodys,
    When the cold war ended, the El Segundo Aerospace industry took a significant hit. We lost a huge number of aerospace employees which was the core of our lunch business, dinner also, because of second shifts and the like. It happened almost overnight. The daytime population in El Segundo, I was told was over 120,000 and the nighttime was around 16,000, not too sure about that, but, that’s the number I remember.
    On top of that, at the very same time, they opened only one block away on the site of the old Leonards Store, a large strip center including a number of new restaurants including a new Sizzler, an El Pollo Loco, a Green Burrito a Chinese and 3 0r 4 more independent restaurants all of which took a bite out of our sales. We did survive, but, from being almost the only game in town to one of many, plus the loss of a significant number of our regular customers it became a real challenge. We did a significant remodel changed the format slightly and carried on. We even started breakfast. After a few years we decided to sell the business since we were involved in another, very popular and profitable concept anyway we decided to sell. It was with heavy heart that this would be the end of an era, but it was time.
    Chris P.

~ Saturday ~ THE DAY THE BURGERS DIED ~

We are approaching the early months of the year which corresponds to the time in 2005 when Woody’s El Segundo served up the last SmorgasBurgers.

I recall the official date was in the month of March, 2005.
    If this is incorrect, I know Chris Pingel will update me.

The closing occurred after several years of the Pingel family trying new menu items and even introducing an early morning breakfast menu.
    By then there were ” little baby SmorgasBurgers ” for the younger kids as well.
    At some points in time , the dining room featured a big screen TV and video games. New competition had moving in the area for some time with Carl’s Jr., El Pollo Loco and several others.

So, it now has been 12 years since the Los Angeles area has enjoyed an original Woody’s SmorgasBurger . Amen .

• Chris Pingel says:

Yes. I did belong to the Restaurant Association. I didn’t attend all the functions, but, did go to many throughout the years.
    I did sit next to Carl Karcher at one luncheon. We had a nice conversation as I remember.
    He and his wife donated a lot to the Catholic Church.
    Before we left, he gave me one of his business cards, which, on the back, had a printed note,”Good for a free Star hamburger”.
    Chris P.

Well Golly Whiz…sounds like….well in fact, Chris was ‘Dancing as Fast as he Could’ in those days by exploring innovation as much as possible. Alas, I can’t butt heads with his offering “hard data” in terms of sale numbers as I would’ve lost out being then (and now) a Mayo Slaw Guy…LOL

As to Mz Scudder: OMG! Me/myself/& I would have had a hard time schmoozing with her at a CRA confab let alone with dear Julia…i.e given this: http://thecitizensvoice.net/?p=13812

Ya know, as a kid getting ready to go off to college, I didn’t realize (back in the late ’50) the nuances of my vocational choice. In later years, it and my naivete came to the fore….do I work for an Org…be it public or private…. or on my own? (What’s that all about?) It was never discussed all the way up in the clouds of the highest Academia!!!! This past week, my G-daughter sent me a note she was frustrated that her “adviser” here at the U of New Mexico told her she could not do a double major of Biological Research and Business Administration. As she so succinctly put it: Hey, I’m the one that is paying Y’all; what’s with that? AAH! This we shall have to pursue.

Bottom line… kinda: If I love to cook, isn’t that enough to open a restaurant and be a success?

OMG: check this out: “THERE’S A MASSIVE RESTAURANT INDUSTRY BUBBLE, AND IT’S ABOUT TO BURST”
    PLEASE! PLEASE! let us hear your 2 cents for that!!!!
    Shouldn’t or might we the Consumers be involved….let alone helping out lest we want to maintain “quality” eateries? As for selfish me, I do not want my “half gourmet at the least” nighttime suppah….let alone ultimately…. cuisine coming out of a Box!

~ Wednesday ~ A real Laura ~

Turns out there was a real Laura Scudders who was a very successful
    business woman in Los Angeles. Besides offering high quality snacks, her company had many innovations to offer her customers ; moved chips from tins to sealed cellophane bags and printed a freshness date on each bag.

Since most restaurant owners joined the California Restaurant Association, I am now wondering if Chris P. was a member and if so, did he run into Ralph Wood and other notables at such meetings. Just wondering ……..

• Chris Pingel says:

We did take out the potato chips as soon as we started fries.
    We ran down the inventory, which wasn’t much, and removed the racks.
    We also removed the macaroni salad soon after because the sales slowed down to a crawl with the fries.
    We sold a hell of a lot of fries, especially at El Segundo #7.
    At first we sold fries similar to McDonald’s but later as an experiment we tried the newly introduced Criss Cut Fries from Lamb Wesson. They were an instant hit so we carried them from then on.
    I was told by the distributor that I was the customer that used the most by far at the time.
    One other note, and, maybe, I’ve told you this before, we tried a new fresh cole slaw using only oil,vinegar, salt and pepper and sold it along with the regular slaw as a test. Our new fresh slaw won by a mile so we took out the regular slaw and continued the new from then on too. We made it fresh every day. We never carried over any product from the day before. Most of the time we would not have any anyway. Food cost on the new slaw was much better too. Fries was a much better food cost as well.
    More later
    Chris P.

• Evan Zang says:

Phil you’re right! I can’t wait to see The Founder. With Michael Keaton and Nick Offerman, how could this film be anything less than GREAT!!!

Evan

~ Monday ~ a dime a bag ~

This snack may well be the last remaining Woody’s menu item for us to fuss over ; Laura Scudders Potato Chips. The mini bags sold for ten cents and they were very popular since fries were not on site. ( for the first 17 years )
    The self serve dispenser rack was located right near the cash register at #1
    and each customer just unclipped as many bags as desired.

The chips were always fresh because the driver knew the build/order factor
    for each of his stops.
    The potato and mac salads @ .25 cents were more popular because they were much more filling and made for a nice meal combo.

Once fries were installed at #1 and #7 in the early 1970’s, I am sure the potato chips were pretty much a sideline item or perhaps even discontinued all together. No matter, no one was going to leave hungry .

~ Sunday ~ A correction is in order ~

At the end of my previous posting, I signed off with a (FYG) .
    I intended a ( FYR) meaning Four Years Running as this is my fourth year anniversary on this site. ( Jan. 11, 2013 )
    This is a long time and a hell of a lot of comments about Woody’s.
    Let’s see what 2017 has to bring.

~ Saturday ~ A Pastrami SmorgasBurger ???? ~

My oh my. It must have been a hell of a lot of fun working with Chris in the 70’s and 80’s when he expanded the menu by a 1000 percent.
    I now wonder if Ralph Wood ever came into #1 and # 7 just to see what Chris was up to. That would have been extra fun indeed.

Well, I see all the major Readers here have passed on my suggestion for a movie about Woody’s to follow up on the current movie ” The Founder “.
    SO BE IT . I have disposed of the notes I had started for the project.
    I know all of you old _ _ _ _ s spend more hours on the keyboard than I do, so I thought we could have a bit of fun to get thru the remaining weeks of winter.

I guess I will use the time to complete my tax returns and then spend more time on Zillow Real Estate in hopes of finding a new home in Michigan.

(FYG) on the Rolodex pad.

• Chris Pingel says:

Phil,
    When you mentioned the customer with two patties and chili on top that reminded me that we sold that as a chili size, 3 sizes regular, double or a king size. We had fresh onions and yellow chilies as well on our condiment bar.
    These items were introduced in the seventies and eighties at #1 and #7.
    I don’t remember serving burgers with chili in the 60’s.
    We also sold mushroom burgers (Smorgasburgers served with mushrooms and gravy in an oval china plate.
    Also sold pastrami burgers. A smorgasburger with our pastrami on top big seller as well.
    all these came in 3 sizes.
    Chris p.

Whoa Marshall, have you tried Red Lobster’s New England CC, given three locations in Oregon https://www.redlobster.com/locations ? Admittedly, I haven’t in a few years, but ‘rich’ as I remember. In a few minutes I’ll be off to WallyMart and will pick up a can. If anything, Clam Chowder…for unknown reasons, is best slurped up with some Oysterettes http://tinyurl.com/za3u78b !

• Marshall Loveday says:

I did develop a liking for the Manhattan Clam Chowder….. hard to find at any restaurant these days.

I’ll try New England Clam Chowder usually any place that serves it. Lots of restaurants claiming they have the ‘best’ here on the Oregon coast. Can’t say I’ve really found one that stands out above the others.

~ Wednesday ~ China bowl update ~

My search for a Woody’s salad /chili bowl has come to an end.
    I did spend a fair amount of time perusing the vintage china sites. No luck.

I did not even see a plain undecorated bowl in the correct size.
    Too many years have passed, I guess.

~ Tuesday ~ Some follow ups ………..

Bob, I feel so bad for seniors who do not want to participate with all this mobile app horse shit. ( I am one ) . I understand McD will be coming on strong very soon with their new ordering system as well.

I must interject this good news about my nearest McD. It was a company store for 30 plus years and was sold to a multi franchisee.
    Anyway, this guy started serving breakfast items on real china plates with silverware to boot. WOOOOOOOWWWWWW. How delightful !

Chris P. has told us about his condiment upgrades once he became owner.
    I often think about my favorite SmorgasBurger from the 1960’s and how it would taste with fresh tomato slices, lettuce leaf and FRESH onions.
    Well done Chris !

I was hoping my movie project featuring the Wood and Pingel families would draw more interest. Even if I find just a little interest, I will proceed to offer a working title and my current casting ideas.
    There remains two great filming locations. The Woody’s stores in El Segundo and Gardena are still in excellent shape.

Speaking of staying “fresh” and adaptive in keeping patrons as well as luring new one’s to own’s eatery, just saw this today (love coincidences) of an apparently “in” burger joynt that criss-crosses the country, albeit not all inclusively.
    – Want a FREE CheeseBurger?
    This place is going “APP” (pun intended) to make dining convenient, while having the collateral effect of dehumanizing life and eliminating an employee by supplanting an old fashioned phone call. http://tinyurl.com/h84mbk5

Dang it! forgot to save an article to pass on from last week re the current/dire struggles nationwide for non fastfood and non pricey dining “chains” are having surviving and how they are scrambling to “revise” their menus to lure customers. Good to read Ralph didn’t rest on his laurels given he explored for example, a variety of soups and chili. (BTW, was he the first or at least on the cusp/crest of a wave, to have a rack of newspapers as a unique amenity?)
    – Whoa! while, per my roots, New England Clam Chowder is preferred over Manhattan, hope it didn’t get that yucky, curdling of scum on the top while sitting for the shortest of times? Imagine the advances of science back then where you just added water to a frozen brick of chili! (But say, hadn’t Arthur Godfrey already told us about the virtues of dry Lipton Noodle Soup or was that just tea?) Alas nowadays, I’m still trying to figure out how to “bring to life” the dozens of boxes of dry/powdered water I bought in the event of a Rapture or Apocalypse! Don’t know about Y’all, but we just closed a Lone Star Steakhouse and an Italian Zio’s that had been around at least 10 years. In a Foodie Blog about my local scene of Mom-Pop type places whose listings may not be all inclusive, he notes we have 34 Vietnamese, 27 Thai, 35 Japanese places besides our 136 everyday places of New Mexican cuisine…did I mention 101 Italians joynts?…in a town of only 500ish thousand also catering to the fastfood folks. A few of our “street corners” are like this http://tinyurl.com/zpduyo8 In view, but not labeled are an Indian, 2 Japanese, a Steakburger, and a Subway, not to mention so so many more a couple of blocks up the roads.
    (As an aside Phil, how lucky to have such an understanding wife who appreciates your appreciating the fine acting of Mz Banks as well. BTW, lest you forgot, Chica Sharrie, whose excellent book that you recommended http://tinyurl.com/h5qa9qq was a thespian at CC High, did some roles in Laguna Beach Little Theater, and is just as, if not more, “cute” today as any Banks… IMHO!)

~ Sunday 2 ~ Who wants Chili ?

I suppose the Woody’s Chili was pretty much a non issue on the Woody’ s menu board but since it was one of the offerings for so many years, it does deserve some recognition. Wendy’s has been serving their chili for 47 years.

Woody’s chili was made by a local vendor who made and formed the chili into bricks. Each brick weighed about three pounds and looked like a loaf of bread as far as the size goes. There were six or eight bricks packed per box and then refrigerated OR frozen.

The in store prep consisted of placing the refrigerated or frozen chili brick into the stainless steel pot with some amount of water. A thawing temperature was selected and then monitored throughout the morning until opening time at 11 AM. Adding more water would bring the chili to the proper consistency.

We had a customer at the El Segundo store who asked for two cooked beef patties placed in a dish and covered with a ladle of chili. Then he wanted two slices of American cheese on top. I suppose he then took his dish over to the condiment bar and mixed in some chopped onions.
    Another item from the secret menu @ 99 cents.

~ Sunday ~ Let’s go to the movies ! ~

I see Ray Kroc finally gets his movie ; ” The Founder .” Fine. I am sure Evan and I will be off to see it in our respective towns.

But hold the phone ……. It now occurs to me that Ralph Wood Jr. should be the subject of a movie also. Besides Mr. Wood , the movie would feature Uncle Charles Cramer, Edwin Fox, and our own Chris Pingel.
    I could be the screen writer and limited investor.

In the coming days and weeks, I will think about a title and possible actors who could be cast in the leading rolls. I already have Elizabeth Banks selected for the part of Mrs. Barbara Wood.

• Chris Pingel says:

I don’t remember at all what chili we used back in the mid sixties but when I ran Woodys starting in early 1970’s after the split I used Chef mate chili and beans made by Carnation. it was absolutely the best out there at the time. we served it with a 4 pack of crackers, more if requested. You could also get all the fresh onions or anything else on our new condiment bar. We expanded the old bar to include lettuce, tomato, fresh onions, yellow chilies along with our regular items, and ,yes, we had our famous tomato salsa, which I ate almost everyday on my, extra rare, king size Swiss burger (KSS) on the Rolodex pad.
    Boy, do I miss those burgers.
    Chris P.