Your Memories 01

This is the place to discuss restaurants that the proprietor of this blog never went to and therefore cannot write about.  Comments about restaurants that are open and operating are discouraged.

102 Responses to Your Memories 01

• Sgt Sonic says:

Does anyone remember, back in the early 80’s, an Italian Restaurant in the WLA/Santa Monica area on Santa Monica Blvd and Federal called La Barbera’s? They had the best pizza ever…and no other restaurant in the Los Angeles area has been able to replicate their recipe. We would get the “meat lovers” special (they had a name for this pie) and it would have chunks of meatballs, slices of Italian sausage, large slices of pepperoni, mushroom, salami and home made mozzarella cheese in a deep dish style. One other restaurant blog site said that Palermo’s Italian Restaurant in the Eagle Rock/Griffith Park area was comparable, but not in my opinion. Can anyone assist with suggestions?

• Ray Iglesias says:

Been looking for a long time for the name of a Denny’s-like 24hr diner chain that existed in L.A Area in the late 60’s and early 70’s at least. I worked at all hours back then servicing mainframe computers, and the one at the SW corner of Sunset and Western kept me alive for five years with their $1.49 Steak and Eggs. If anyone has info on this place, pls, send me a note. Thanks in advance.

• Jason says:

Does anyone remember the live music restaurant which was near downtown Los Angeles Figueroa street. I think it was demolished because of LA Convention center expansion in the late 80’s. It played German music with a live band on the stage, and people danced in the center stage. They used to play like ball room dance music, German or Swiss folk music like Chicken Dance. I went there once in 1986 and really enjoyed it. Is it gone forever or still doing business somewhere else. Thank you very much.

• MP says:

Do you remember a bakery in West Los Angeles (late 1950’s – 60’s) called the Fairytale Bakery? As kids we would go with our parents…Would love to hear your memories and any history you learned about it.Thanks

• Mark says:

The Daily Grill keeps closing down locations. There use to be one at the Beverly Connection, Brentwood, and Studio City. This was one of my favorite places growing up. There’s still a few open. The only one I’ve been too is the one in Santa Monica business park district, and it’s fairly empty usually. Sad times.

• Z of The Valley says:

What a great site!
    Does anyone remember The Samoa House? It was on Ventura Blvd in Encino, across from Ralph Williams Ford, I believe…near Hayvenhurst? The years would have been 1969-73 approx. Great “Polynesian” food and Tiki drinks…

Or, how about Moskva Cliff? It was on Ventura in Studio City, and had Russian food, like chicken Kiev…I know it was about 1969, because I took my wife there right after we had gotten married. Their signature dish was a variation on the chicken Kiev, called Chicken Marechale…it looked like a studded mace ( that Medieval ball on a chain weapon!) the studs were croutons sticking out of a heavily breaded ball of butter stuffed chicken…yum!

Z

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

Alas Linda, never ran across Lucca’s in my time 10ish years later in LA, but indeed sounds like a “magical” place as/for a kid. Wonder if it gave Disney some ideas. Hope this “scene” helps a bit http://tinyurl.com/y9tdewsz
    “Chow!” as we Non-Italian foodies are wont say!

• Linda Minnis says:

The last time I went to Lucca’s Italian restaurant was in 1950. I was seven. It was in a quonsit hut in the L.A. area. The inside was magical–decorated like a village street with twinkling lights. and a starry nighttime sky painted on the ceiling. There was a replica of Mt. Vesuvius on the wall that erupted every 30 minutes or so. The menu always had about six or so courses–bread, soup, salad, anti-pasto, pasta, entree, and dessert. The music, food, scenery made it a very special place. Does anybody remember this??

• Billie Church says:

I lived in West L.A. till about 1950. I remember Shannon’s Drive In, The Toad Inn, and Gumps out in the Valley. Anybody remember these? I remember a Mexican restaurant on Pico Blvd. but can’t remember the name of it. Also on Pico was NuWay hot dog stand–very popular!

• Maria Haefeli says:

David Williams…thanks for the mention for Picolo’s on Pico near Beverwil…that was my father, Frank’s, restaurant. He retired in 1985….yes indeed his food was fresh, cooked to order, a great value and lots of it! Sadly my dad passed this January, but he was proud of his place and I still run into former customers who have fond memories! It was small, sat about 65, with a small counter as well, but there was always a crowd waiting to get in.

• Anthony F.Senteno says:

I lived in Paramount Ca next to Downey and I knew a Pretty young lady whose dad helped create the Signature Sauce that Chri N Pitts BBQ uses and eventually Bottled you know what he got screwed over and he andthe owners parted ways he left Chris N Pitts BBQ in Downey and went to work at Cliftons in Downtown Los Angeles they used to live a few blocks West of Paramount Blvd North of Rosecrans the Railroad tracks are on the corner of Paramount Blvd and Rosecrans I know that her parents are gone but maybe Nicki still has the Properties there were 3 I believe I wish that I would have had my shit together her mother and dad let me stay with them for a while I was dealing with a legal problem had went to Texas with a friend of Nicki’s and came back her mom sure as hell was a wonderful LADY I MEAN THIS IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY AND NICKI IF YOU STUMBLE UPON THIS I HOPE THAT YOU HAVE EVERYTHING YOU COULD WISH FOR HEALTH AND FAMILY AND YOU ARE DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT MY BEST TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY BUT BACK TO THE BBQ AND CLIFTONS NOW I AM NOT REALLY A CAFETERIA PERSON I PREFER A REGULAR RESTERAUNT BUT HER FATHER HAD A GIFT WHEN IT CAME TO FOOD AND HE TO WAS A GOOD MAN I REMEMBER THE LAST THING ME AND HER FATHER DISCUSSED IT WAS WHERE I WAS GOING TO GO AND WHAT I WAS PLANNING ON DOING HE PULLED OUT A WAD OF CASH AND HE PARTED IT IN HALF AND GAVE ME HALF AND HE LOOKED AROUND GAVE ME A HUG AND SAID TO BE CAREFUL AND TO STOP AND THINK BEFORE DIVING IN I TOOK THAT TO MEAN BOTH FIGURATIVELY AND LITERALLY BECAUSE I WAS DEFFINITLY ON THE ROAD TO EITHER DEATH OR PRISON SO THAT MAN SAVED ME FROM NOT ONLY MYSELF BUT THOSE WHO I HAD ASSUMED WERE FRIENDS AND FAMILY I FOUND OUT THAT THEY WERE’NT EITHER

• Michael Lipofsky says:

I’m surprised the Velvet Turtle hasn’t been added to this list yet. They were a great restaurant and had several locations here in Southern California at one time.

Alison – Positano’s is well represented in Google search, including a book about it published just a few years ago. Remember going there once to see some friends perform (c 1962). As I recall we parked off the road (PCH), and were picked up by a station wagon which took us up the bluff in reverse.

• Alison says:

Several Westside restaurants (circa late ’50’s – early ’60’s.) aren’t mentioned: Coffee House Positano, 19543 Pacific Coast Hwy., Great art, beat poetry, theater, music and more.
    Goody Goody Drive-in Restaurant, at Berkeley & Wilshire, great hamburgers, sauce and fries, etc.
    Sorrento Beach Grill and Neeny’s Grill, (both at 723 Palisades Beach Rd, Santa Monica at different times.) Burgers, fries on the beach. Jukebox, beach volleyball, surf rafts and fun.

• Michael Lipofsky says:

3 more restaurants that should be on here are Bruno’s Italian Restaurant, which was on Centinela & Venice in Mar Vista, La Barbera’s, which was on Wilshire & Barrington and Diamond Jim’s which was also (I think) near Wilshire & Barrington. I’m sure quite a few people who visit this website will have fond memories of all of those places.

• Michael Lipofsky says:

Cafe LA was actually right down the street, maybe a block down from the 9000 building on the Sunset Strip.

• Michael Lipofsky says:

Jenn, I too remember Cafe LA! I loved that place! I worked at a car rental agency in the 9000 building on the Sunset Strip in 1987, and we used to order food from there from time to time. Their garlic rolls were out of this world!

• Denise Riley says:

Many great memories of Red and Bobby, my father Jack Riley.. would take often.. greatest of memories at all location..miss them all very much ! Great to see Tractors is still thriving still !!!! Great Hollywood history here !!! Much love Denise Riley.

• David says:

In the 50’s, when I was a kid living in Reseda, we would go occasionally to a little diner in (I think) Burbank, where model trains were used to deliver food from the kitchen to where you sat at the counter. It was always a favorite of mine. We called it the “Choo Choo Place,” but I suspect that’s not really the name.

Does anyone remember the place, its name, or have any other information about it?

• Lee K says:

Does anybody know this: In Marina Del Rey, in the late 1970’s – 1980’s, there was a restaurant call Foghorn. Before that, on the same land site, was another restaurant which I’m trying to remember the name of: was it either Kelly’s Steakhouse or Randy Tar’s?

Anybody remember which one?

• Rachel says:

Trying to find a restaurant that was on Melrose Avenue, Los Angeles that became Chiant’s. You gad to be on the guest list or they wouldn’t let you in. I thought it was called Joe’s Place. It was run like the old speakeasies.

• The Management says:

Debi, I’m afraid I’m no help on this one. I vaguely recall hearing about the place you mention but I never went there and have no idea of its name. Sorry.

• Debi, Arcadia, CA says:

Hi Mark Evanier – Could you please help me with the name of a popular restaurant in the 70’s? It no longer exists. It was located on Green Street in Pasadena, CA, and the owner played the piano while customers dined. Also, one had to make reservations 2-3 months in advance to have dinner during the Christmas Holiday season as they had a Charles Dickens Christmas Choir.

Debi

• jenn says:

I can not seem to find Cafe LA anywhere. It was located on Sunset strip. I believe it was 9000 Sunset strip. It was on the corner across the street and just east of the Rainbow . I worked there for only 6 months before it burnt down 0n Nov 15th 1990. The day is sketched in my brain because my whole life changed in a day. I am trying to find some old friends that I can not find on FB or Google. How can I add a restaurant on this site? I have pictures and I actually have two of the menu’s. Thanks

• Bonnie says:

I looked up my all time favorite Italian restaurant from my time growing up. Rudy’s Italian Inn at 3773 Crenshaw Blvd. had the best ever spaghetti sauce I have ever had. Might, just might, anybody have the recipe for that unforgettable sauce? Now, about 60 years later, I still remember how good it was.

• Native Angeleno says:

Does anyone remember Joanne’s Italian Restaurant, 1815 Redondo Beach Blvd., Gardena? To this day the best pizza I’ve ever eaten! The house oil and vinegar dressing was so good you could drink it!

• charles d. rogers says:

who remembers the Red Hut, on Western & Jefferson around 1958?

• Donna says:

Does anyone remember(1960’s/70’s) Diamond Jim’s Restaurant , corner of Wilshire Blvd and Park View Street? I worked next door at Canadian Indemnity (675 Park View), across from McArthur Park (& near Alvarado, as I recall). Jim’s was a beautiful place, decadent lunches and dinners. Memories shared with many coworker friends ‘back in the day’

• Gary says:

Just came upon your site. Very interesting.

There is a restaurant you should add which would be Bob Burns Restaurant. Use to eat at the one in Woodland Hills before they tore down the building that looked and felt like a house and put in a P F Chang’s.

The food and the atmosphere was always good. I use to get a meal called Veal Swiss. At one point they had taken it off the menu. The waitress checked for me and found out the chef would make it for me. So every time I went they would make it for me even though it was off the menu. Miss the place.

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

Yo Phil T..great recounting of the coals preceding when I may have subbed at CC from Holly-Riv-Redondo (H-R-R) in ’62. Sounds like a nightmare, but hopefully a skill worthy of a few extra coin! Did Y’all use charcoal lighter to start the coals?
    Elsewise: the Radar Range: my memory is loading it about 4 in H-R-R for X minutes and ‘deloading’ into the heat draw before the 5 rush. Whoa, I still have a Kenmore “Radar Range” http://tinyurl.com/y9mk3ayu, that says 1980 inside the door, I bought my Vieja for a Mother’s Day! Works fine. I always stand a few feet away when using it nowadays so as not to endanger my Machoness in case of “radar” leakage.
    – Dittos RE Phil noting you may have misclicked the Send button instead of for http://tinyurl.com/y9pkmgcn

~ Phil Thomas ~

During my tenure with Woody’s ( 64 thru 68 ), I worked at three of the stores
    and at one of them I worked with a Russ Thomas. Could Russ be your younger brother ?

Phil A.

~ For Phil Thomas ~

I am glad I caught your narrative about your time at Woody’s in CC.
    I followed you, Dick Roletta and Steve Claypool by three years.
    Your memory seems very much intact so I will ask you to share some
    detailed memories of Don Steinke who was the manager of the Culver City
    store during the same time frame you worked there.
    Any amount of info on Don would be very much appreciated.

It would be fun to learn what career path you followed and where you live now. If you do want to share some stuff, it would be better if you jumped over to the Woody’s SmorgasBurger IV site since that is the dedicated site for
    Woody’s. Glad you happened by Phil !

Philo A.

• Phil Thomas says:

Loved reading all the memories of Woody’s Smorgasburger. I worked at the one in Culver City between 1959 and 1961 and saw the transition from the charcoal grill to gas. After getting experience at the different stations along the line, it was rather frightening to work the grill for the first time. That’s when we were still using charcoal and there was always the challenge of occasionally having to pull the grill out with all the orders on it, rake the hot coals to the right and add some scoops of coal along the left edge. The most dreaded thing was allowing the hot side to burn too low. Adding more coal took a few seconds and temporarily reduced your grilling area, so there would be the temptation to let it go just a little longer before adding more. During rush hours that was quite a balancing act.

Remember the Radar Range that preceded the microwave? When we got ours I wasn’t the only one to be amazed. We only used it for potatoes. Sure, prior to the dinner rush we would have a drawer filled with oven-baked potatoes, but the Radar Range is what we’d use for baked potatoes in-between times. On more than one occasion I’d have a customer ask to hold the raw potato just to verify the fact that it was really un-baked. Seems like we claimed that it only took us five-minutes to do a baked potato, but I suspect that was an optimistic exaggeration. Still, it was fast and I’ll bet some people ordered a baked potato partly because they wanted to witness the “miracle.”

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

OMG…Folks have wistfully asked about so many places in a relatively short amount of time, and so many have gone unanswered! So Sad! With deference to Mark’s labor intensive efforts regarding nostalgia, he notes he is limited to places he’s been. I just happened to run across this listing http://tinyurl.com/y86rz8az which might at least “acknowledge” there might have been a place people have queried about.

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

Well Quigs, Thank you for your sharing your remembrance of where a Konditori was. (It is also nice to affirm that someone starts out reading at the first part of this whole section….LOL)
    Alas, for the life of me, I can’t think of any reason why we might have gone onto Camden Dr. I just did a “trip” up Camden using Google Maps and with all due respect to the fact “some” buildings etc change over…OMG…. 50ish years…LOL…the street looks totally unfamiliar.
    In my original comment, I used the description that K was a sliver of a hole-in-the-wall. Might I now say it was probably only 12-15 feet wide and maybe 25-30 feet long.
    Elsewise, what would a Trojane/Trojan be doing up in UCLAn country? Besides my Gal being a Dane, at least one time we were in the area to see a “hit” movie of the time that was unlike the sophisticated ones of the Bergman genre. This one was to involve the hilarity of a daffodil in Carry on Nurse http://tinyurl.com/y8styyl7 that in actuality turned out to be a bomb (not to be confused with recent, positive references to this or that being “The Bomb!”). Elsewise, there was a Bullocks (or was it I. Magnin’s) in Westwood that was for some reason, a FAV of hers.
    Bottom Line, I still can’t let go…and begging your indulgence by playing the AgeCard..”my” Konditori remains being in Westwood….LOL (Might, prior to the divorce, the couple owned 2?)
    Now…let’s find out that you’ve been to this all-ya-can-eat Rand’s Round-up http://tinyurl.com/ycd466k2, where (besides Philippe’s or Farmers Market) po SC guys went on weekends when the frat kitchen was closed!
    Bon Appetit!

• Quigs says:

Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM – There was a Konditori on Camden in Beverly Hills. Wonderful place with great open face sandwiches on limpa bread, wonderful pastries, aquavit, etc. It closed when the owners divorced.

• Kathy Allen says:

When I was little I remember my Granny and I going to Montgomery Ward and passing a restaurant that had a big neon sign that was a lady in a grass skirt and a light up belly button. Anyone know of this?

• Bobbi says:

Does anyone remember The Chatham restaurant and bakery on Westwood Blvd, just south of Bit ‘O Scotland?

• AB says:

B Comstock, I believe the name of the Russian cafeteria in Hollywood was Gorky’s, maybe?

• L McGovern says:

been looking forever for any info on Luccas Restaurant that was at the corner of fifth and western, LA, maybe as far back as the 30’s. Discovered in an estates many boxes of old pics and souvenirs, postcards that date to the 40’s and a souvenir photo folder with a date of 1951. The photo holder has a 1937 design according to ebay. all my searches have turned up nothing re: the rest. itself and it’s history. any help out there? you can reply to my email if that is permissable
    tks

• Murray says:

I remember going with my dad to a restaurant (I think it was on Wilshire Blvd) just west of McArthur Park for breakfast.

It was real popular around 1959-1960 or so.

Just can’t remember the name.

Any help

• Barbara says:

Ship’s in Westwood was a great hangout for teens too. I went to Uni and my girlfriend and I would get off the city bus on Wilshire on our way home from school on Fridays and go into Ship’s for ice cream milkshakes. I guess it was our TGIF. Other kids did it too. Looking at the menu I am amazed to see how inexpensive it was.

• Barbara says:

Does anybody remember the name of the deli or bakery in Westwood that made the most divine cake–white layer cake with white frosting that had pineapple blended into the frosting between the layers and toasted almond slices along the vertical wall of the cake with everything dusted with powdered sugar? I think it was Jurgenson’s or Jurgensen’s or something like that. A friend of my parents used to have it delivered to us as a treat in the late 50s and early 60s. I want that cake again.

• B Comstock says:

does anyone remember a cafeteria-style place with a vaguely Russian theme called, i think, Moscow? there was one just off Hollywood Blvd on Cahuenga or Ivar or somewhere in that area, and another one that was open 24 hours that was somewhere east of downtown. i think they both closed in the ’90s.

• Mercy Baron says:

John Hindsill….really wish they had an option on here to be notified when someone responds to your post. Really silly that they don’t. Thanks for responding about the Nine Muses. It took me 4 months after posting that to come back to this site or I would have never known you responded! Thanks.

Lori…..I worked at Our Contribution! I never knew it to be owned by Mike Farrell. Jamie Alpern was the owner and my boss. It was a vegetarian health food restaurant and and the first place I ever worked as a server probably in the late 70’s. It was across the street from LA Valley College and my high school. Ulyssyes S. Grant in North Hollywood. We were a bunch of hippies working there!

• Rosella A Alm-Ahearn says:

Ah “Little Joes” My husband took me there on th way out of town when we went to get married in Northern California. Great food, but I didn’t taste it that day- I was too much in love.

I don’t see “Jacks at the Beach” on your list. It was great for seafood in the 1960s.

• brent thompson says:

When I was young my grandparents took me to Chasen’s. My only memory is of my grandad complaining bitterly to Dave Chasen about the loud people in the booth nearby. He told him something like what do you want me to do RS they are famous movie stars. In about 1978 I remember some

older female tourist asking the doorman where the stars were and he replied you are the star madam. Hitchcock was 50 feet away. Great place. Loved the lamb chops.

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

My memory circa ’60-’63, recalls dining in the landmark for LAX http://www.roadarch.com/13/5/lax.jpg I’m vaguely remembering it revolved slowly, but was later stopped. In the ’90s it was apparently renovated and named “Encounter”, but closed in the about ’14. Did it have a starting name?

• Willi says:

This is an amazing site with a fantastic list of places of old. One in particular, a place that i frequented very often back in the mid to late 1970’s and early 1980’s, was a deli on Wilshire blvd & 15th street in Santa Monica called Kenny’s deli. I dont know when the name changed to Izzy’s.

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

Yo David…..You noted: “In my younger days we lived in Torrance….”
    No offense, but Folks might have used that expression when they’re in their 50s, let alone their 60s, and now in their 70s!!!!
    If I may suggest, perhaps you might ask some of the Folks reminiscing about several “versions” of Woody’s Smorgasburger where one version was at PCH and PV Blvd on the edge of Torrance. Hopefully, you made it to Woody’s!