Your Memories 01

This is the place to discuss restaurants that the proprietor of this blog never went to and therefore cannot write about.  Comments about restaurants that are open and operating are discouraged.

74 Responses to Your Memories 01

• charles d. rogers says:

who remembers the Red Hut, on Western & Jefferson around 1958?

• Donna says:

Does anyone remember(1960’s/70’s) Diamond Jim’s Restaurant , corner of Wilshire Blvd and Park View Street? I worked next door at Canadian Indemnity (675 Park View), across from McArthur Park (& near Alvarado, as I recall). Jim’s was a beautiful place, decadent lunches and dinners. Memories shared with many coworker friends ‘back in the day’

• Gary says:

Just came upon your site. Very interesting.

There is a restaurant you should add which would be Bob Burns Restaurant. Use to eat at the one in Woodland Hills before they tore down the building that looked and felt like a house and put in a P F Chang’s.

The food and the atmosphere was always good. I use to get a meal called Veal Swiss. At one point they had taken it off the menu. The waitress checked for me and found out the chef would make it for me. So every time I went they would make it for me even though it was off the menu. Miss the place.

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

Yo Phil T..great recounting of the coals preceding when I may have subbed at CC from Holly-Riv-Redondo (H-R-R) in ’62. Sounds like a nightmare, but hopefully a skill worthy of a few extra coin! Did Y’all use charcoal lighter to start the coals?
    Elsewise: the Radar Range: my memory is loading it about 4 in H-R-R for X minutes and ‘deloading’ into the heat draw before the 5 rush. Whoa, I still have a Kenmore “Radar Range” http://tinyurl.com/y9mk3ayu, that says 1980 inside the door, I bought my Vieja for a Mother’s Day! Works fine. I always stand a few feet away when using it nowadays so as not to endanger my Machoness in case of “radar” leakage.
    – Dittos RE Phil noting you may have misclicked the Send button instead of for http://tinyurl.com/y9pkmgcn

~ Phil Thomas ~

During my tenure with Woody’s ( 64 thru 68 ), I worked at three of the stores
    and at one of them I worked with a Russ Thomas. Could Russ be your younger brother ?

Phil A.

~ For Phil Thomas ~

I am glad I caught your narrative about your time at Woody’s in CC.
    I followed you, Dick Roletta and Steve Claypool by three years.
    Your memory seems very much intact so I will ask you to share some
    detailed memories of Don Steinke who was the manager of the Culver City
    store during the same time frame you worked there.
    Any amount of info on Don would be very much appreciated.

It would be fun to learn what career path you followed and where you live now. If you do want to share some stuff, it would be better if you jumped over to the Woody’s SmorgasBurger IV site since that is the dedicated site for
    Woody’s. Glad you happened by Phil !

Philo A.

• Phil Thomas says:

Loved reading all the memories of Woody’s Smorgasburger. I worked at the one in Culver City between 1959 and 1961 and saw the transition from the charcoal grill to gas. After getting experience at the different stations along the line, it was rather frightening to work the grill for the first time. That’s when we were still using charcoal and there was always the challenge of occasionally having to pull the grill out with all the orders on it, rake the hot coals to the right and add some scoops of coal along the left edge. The most dreaded thing was allowing the hot side to burn too low. Adding more coal took a few seconds and temporarily reduced your grilling area, so there would be the temptation to let it go just a little longer before adding more. During rush hours that was quite a balancing act.

Remember the Radar Range that preceded the microwave? When we got ours I wasn’t the only one to be amazed. We only used it for potatoes. Sure, prior to the dinner rush we would have a drawer filled with oven-baked potatoes, but the Radar Range is what we’d use for baked potatoes in-between times. On more than one occasion I’d have a customer ask to hold the raw potato just to verify the fact that it was really un-baked. Seems like we claimed that it only took us five-minutes to do a baked potato, but I suspect that was an optimistic exaggeration. Still, it was fast and I’ll bet some people ordered a baked potato partly because they wanted to witness the “miracle.”

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

OMG…Folks have wistfully asked about so many places in a relatively short amount of time, and so many have gone unanswered! So Sad! With deference to Mark’s labor intensive efforts regarding nostalgia, he notes he is limited to places he’s been. I just happened to run across this listing http://tinyurl.com/y86rz8az which might at least “acknowledge” there might have been a place people have queried about.

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

Well Quigs, Thank you for your sharing your remembrance of where a Konditori was. (It is also nice to affirm that someone starts out reading at the first part of this whole section….LOL)
    Alas, for the life of me, I can’t think of any reason why we might have gone onto Camden Dr. I just did a “trip” up Camden using Google Maps and with all due respect to the fact “some” buildings etc change over…OMG…. 50ish years…LOL…the street looks totally unfamiliar.
    In my original comment, I used the description that K was a sliver of a hole-in-the-wall. Might I now say it was probably only 12-15 feet wide and maybe 25-30 feet long.
    Elsewise, what would a Trojane/Trojan be doing up in UCLAn country? Besides my Gal being a Dane, at least one time we were in the area to see a “hit” movie of the time that was unlike the sophisticated ones of the Bergman genre. This one was to involve the hilarity of a daffodil in Carry on Nurse http://tinyurl.com/y8styyl7 that in actuality turned out to be a bomb (not to be confused with recent, positive references to this or that being “The Bomb!”). Elsewise, there was a Bullocks (or was it I. Magnin’s) in Westwood that was for some reason, a FAV of hers.
    Bottom Line, I still can’t let go…and begging your indulgence by playing the AgeCard..”my” Konditori remains being in Westwood….LOL (Might, prior to the divorce, the couple owned 2?)
    Now…let’s find out that you’ve been to this all-ya-can-eat Rand’s Round-up http://tinyurl.com/ycd466k2, where (besides Philippe’s or Farmers Market) po SC guys went on weekends when the frat kitchen was closed!
    Bon Appetit!

• Quigs says:

Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM – There was a Konditori on Camden in Beverly Hills. Wonderful place with great open face sandwiches on limpa bread, wonderful pastries, aquavit, etc. It closed when the owners divorced.

• Kathy Allen says:

When I was little I remember my Granny and I going to Montgomery Ward and passing a restaurant that had a big neon sign that was a lady in a grass skirt and a light up belly button. Anyone know of this?

• Bobbi says:

Does anyone remember The Chatham restaurant and bakery on Westwood Blvd, just south of Bit ‘O Scotland?

• AB says:

B Comstock, I believe the name of the Russian cafeteria in Hollywood was Gorky’s, maybe?

• L McGovern says:

been looking forever for any info on Luccas Restaurant that was at the corner of fifth and western, LA, maybe as far back as the 30’s. Discovered in an estates many boxes of old pics and souvenirs, postcards that date to the 40’s and a souvenir photo folder with a date of 1951. The photo holder has a 1937 design according to ebay. all my searches have turned up nothing re: the rest. itself and it’s history. any help out there? you can reply to my email if that is permissable
    tks

• Murray says:

I remember going with my dad to a restaurant (I think it was on Wilshire Blvd) just west of McArthur Park for breakfast.

It was real popular around 1959-1960 or so.

Just can’t remember the name.

Any help

• Barbara says:

Ship’s in Westwood was a great hangout for teens too. I went to Uni and my girlfriend and I would get off the city bus on Wilshire on our way home from school on Fridays and go into Ship’s for ice cream milkshakes. I guess it was our TGIF. Other kids did it too. Looking at the menu I am amazed to see how inexpensive it was.

• Barbara says:

Does anybody remember the name of the deli or bakery in Westwood that made the most divine cake–white layer cake with white frosting that had pineapple blended into the frosting between the layers and toasted almond slices along the vertical wall of the cake with everything dusted with powdered sugar? I think it was Jurgenson’s or Jurgensen’s or something like that. A friend of my parents used to have it delivered to us as a treat in the late 50s and early 60s. I want that cake again.

• B Comstock says:

does anyone remember a cafeteria-style place with a vaguely Russian theme called, i think, Moscow? there was one just off Hollywood Blvd on Cahuenga or Ivar or somewhere in that area, and another one that was open 24 hours that was somewhere east of downtown. i think they both closed in the ’90s.

• Mercy Baron says:

John Hindsill….really wish they had an option on here to be notified when someone responds to your post. Really silly that they don’t. Thanks for responding about the Nine Muses. It took me 4 months after posting that to come back to this site or I would have never known you responded! Thanks.

Lori…..I worked at Our Contribution! I never knew it to be owned by Mike Farrell. Jamie Alpern was the owner and my boss. It was a vegetarian health food restaurant and and the first place I ever worked as a server probably in the late 70’s. It was across the street from LA Valley College and my high school. Ulyssyes S. Grant in North Hollywood. We were a bunch of hippies working there!

• Rosella A Alm-Ahearn says:

Ah “Little Joes” My husband took me there on th way out of town when we went to get married in Northern California. Great food, but I didn’t taste it that day- I was too much in love.

I don’t see “Jacks at the Beach” on your list. It was great for seafood in the 1960s.

• brent thompson says:

When I was young my grandparents took me to Chasen’s. My only memory is of my grandad complaining bitterly to Dave Chasen about the loud people in the booth nearby. He told him something like what do you want me to do RS they are famous movie stars. In about 1978 I remember some

older female tourist asking the doorman where the stars were and he replied you are the star madam. Hitchcock was 50 feet away. Great place. Loved the lamb chops.

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

My memory circa ’60-’63, recalls dining in the landmark for LAX http://www.roadarch.com/13/5/lax.jpg I’m vaguely remembering it revolved slowly, but was later stopped. In the ’90s it was apparently renovated and named “Encounter”, but closed in the about ’14. Did it have a starting name?

• Willi says:

This is an amazing site with a fantastic list of places of old. One in particular, a place that i frequented very often back in the mid to late 1970’s and early 1980’s, was a deli on Wilshire blvd & 15th street in Santa Monica called Kenny’s deli. I dont know when the name changed to Izzy’s.

• Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos, NM says:

Yo David…..You noted: “In my younger days we lived in Torrance….”
    No offense, but Folks might have used that expression when they’re in their 50s, let alone their 60s, and now in their 70s!!!!
    If I may suggest, perhaps you might ask some of the Folks reminiscing about several “versions” of Woody’s Smorgasburger where one version was at PCH and PV Blvd on the edge of Torrance. Hopefully, you made it to Woody’s!