Your Memories 01

This is the place to discuss restaurants that the proprietor of this blog never went to and therefore cannot write about.  Comments about restaurants that are open and operating are discouraged.

125 Responses to Your Memories 01

Chains: Some came and seemed to go as quickly as they came; some died a lingering death…http://definition.org/remember-defunct-restaurant-chains/ (Some may have never made to LA…LOL)

Elizabeth (Allen) Sheiman
    Reading your post for other restaurants, I can tell you how you can’t know me. While you were in your teens in the ’70s, I was in my 30s. Guess we had different sets of friends.

Elizabeth (Allen) Sheiman
    I’m not sure there are Good Earth store in LA area any more. The Studio City location is reported closed. The food was more to my wife’s liking than than mine so we didn’t eat there often, but it was good. The location was cavernous, most of a block, so the rent must have been massively expensive. The Westdale/Westwood store on Pico has been closed for many years. About 25 years ago our family had a cousins reunion there.

You asked (rhetorically, I’m sure) how you cannot know me. You’re in good company…3 mil. others in So Cal don’t know me either. But to know me is to love me, as per the ’50s song.

• Elizabeth (Allen) Sheiman says:

Andy – yes I remember The Good Earth. They still have the tea for sale. It was a small chain serving healthy soup, salad and sandwiches.

• Elizabeth (Allen) Sheiman says:

Hal Harold – I don’t remember the Garden District restaurant, but it was just yards from The Odyssey nightclub where I used to dance for hours in the mid-to-late 70’s until my feet fell off with all my gay theatre boyfriends. Are you still with the love of your life?

• Elizabeth (Allen) Sheiman says:

John Hindsill – How do I not know you? We went to so many of the same places….Do you remember Mucky Duck ?

Yo Hal, Ya might click on a couple of the pics here http://tinyurl.com/y98x5boe to see if anything rings a bell, e.g. Jim Morrison. Alas, NOLA’s Garden District seems most photed.

• Hal Harold says:

Garden District Restaurant on Beverly Blvd about 1/2 mile (+/-) from La Cienega. Good food with good clientele; mature gay clientele before ‘gay acceptance’! I met the love of my life there in 1973. Why did this place close?

• Jamie White says:

One of my favorites in early 80s was Nikki’s located between studio entrance and the old LA Rams office so you got a cross section of entertainment and sports. It featured high end French menu, a piano bar and a relaxed bar where people played scrabble and regulars had little name plaques on the walls.

Does anyone else remember the place or the owner?

I remember dining at Picolo’s a couple of times. I remember it as small, serving very good food elegantly. I think it was around Beverly Glen. But I can’t remember much else…it was 50 years ago at least.

• Andy says:

Ha, I came to this site hoping to find the name of an old restaurant I used to love in Marina del Rey many years ago. It wasn’t until I started typing my question that the name popped into my brain, it was called The Good Earth. I think there were 3 or 4 other locations, the last one I’m aware of was on Ventura Blvd in Studio City, but gone now too. Anyone remember the place?

• Andy says:

AB and B Comstock, Gorky’s was in downtown LA, on the border of what is now the Arts District. Ahead of its time.

• Judy Knorzer says:

Picolo Restaurant on Pico Blvd in Los Angeles had the best salad dressing. Remember anyone???

• Tom F says:

Anyone recall a theme restaurant on Restaurant Row on La Cienega (?) named 1372 or similar? We frequented this place in the early 1970s. You paid a fixed fee, had a choice of two meats, sat at long tables, and a show set in medieval times (I.e., knights and such) during dinner. Highly entertaining and great for groups. There was also a “sister” place called 1772 or something that offered similar dining show but different period of time. Please let me know. Thx.

OMG…a place serving hot dogs and tacos! Lo… they didn’t take it to the next level!
    I.e. to me, a taco is hamburger meat/shredded lettuce n velveeta/diced tomato. Ok, today squirt on some “Hot or Extra Hot” sauce. Now a days, we be dealing with Shrimp Tacos! Did someone miss making a million for a year or two perhaps by not doing the All American Hot Dog Taco???! Is there still time?
    When driving through New Mexico since the mid ’50s, you could get a Foot Long (NM RED, not Tex-Mex!) Chile Cheese Dog con onions as seen here http://tinyurl.com/yafk726j Trust me, I’ve had 583 feet of ’em and always paired ’em with their Orange Drink; never cola!
    Oh where?! http://tinyurl.com/y873kduu as vetted by Diners/Drive-Ins/Dives and appearing in Breaking Bad!

Regina Cohn, yes the Mediterrania was on the east side of La Cienega. I don’t recall ever eating there. I ate there several times as a youngster when it was called Richler’s, whose specialty was Plank Steak (Hamburger surrounded by mashed potato served on a long piece of wood). I’m not sure when it changed, but, I think it was called Richlers Mediterranea, later dropping the original name.

• Mike says:

Pup & Taco. Does anybody remember this chain of “squat and gobble” type restraints. They were all over the southward about the same time as the beginnings of Weinerschnitzel. I remember lunching at one near where I worked in the early and mid 1980’s. For a few bucks, you could fill up on hot dogs and tacos. I think these pre-dated Taco Bell. There used to be one at the corner of Beverly Blvd and Rampart. Catty corner from the original Tommy’s. And I have to confess, occasionally I would visit both Tommy’s and Pup & Taco on the same food run.

• Regina Cohn says:

Does anyone remember the restaurant on Restaurant Row called, I seem to recall, “The Mediterrania?” It had stained glass windows.

• Dan Mackey says:

Does anyone remember Reubens Steakhouse chain. I worked as a bartender at the one in Northridge on Nordhoff (?) for a little while. They had a BIG bar with a dance floor and a DJ booth.

• Lisa says:

Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant from the early 50s on Pico and Roxbury, Los Angeles, just outside Beverly Hills? It was up a driveway and was taken over by Owen’s Market

Indeed John! that is a fun vignette RE your Dino’s!
    Most of my times in Pasadena…have been “unique”. Blew my mind to sit in the gutter of Colorado Blvd at 12:01 AM of ’59 playing Bridge (it was a “thing” back then!) with a hibachi for “Amuse-bouches”, sorta speak, while reserving space for Rose Parade ogling after only seeing it on TV for years in staid New England where Folks wouldn’t do that even if it was for His Second Coming!!! Then, in ’99, 1st wife and I were exploring ‘hooking back up” after a hiatus of 29 years! Drove from Vegas for an iconic monthly Flea Market in the Bowl’s parking lot. Then, while sidewalk-dining in the evening, a revolving motorcade occurred celebrating the iconic ’99 US Women’s World Cup Soccer victory over China http://tinyurl.com/ybrbkmz2 If you live there, hope you get a chance to Bon Appetit a Double Dipped French Dip every now and then at legendary https://www.philippes.com/ “just” down the road!
    – My Dino’s http://tinyurl.com/ybpr37mg (Blush) was next door to (TV’s) 77 Sunset Strip (the 8000 block actually) http://tinyurl.com/myd6njr Pardon, as somewhere within this total Blog I’ve bragged about pulling into the porte cochere circa ’60 to be able to park as “Cookie” did not want to park my Vespa after my USC Chica alit after sitting de rigueur, sidesaddle, per a straight skirt of the day. OMG…talk about mind boggling back in the day: The back side of Dean Martin’s place was almost a glass wall affording an unsurpassedly romantic view of LA lights while sipping on Grasshoppers, Daiquiris, or Stingers (staying away from a MaiTai or Zombie per driving) while listening to smooth jazz. Elsewheretherein, you could dine.
    Indeed http://tinyurl.com/l5zxc68

BVLR(NM) I’m not so interested in menus of places historic that I’ve never been to, but you might get a kick of this. We used to frequent (eat at, really) an Italian restaurant, Dino’s in Pasadena. As you entered from the parking lot down the hallway to the front desk, you were treated to a framed array of menus from 1946 (its opening) to more recent ones… 6 or 7 in all. We would tell the receptionist (often the owner) that we wished to eat from the 1955 menu or the 1968 menu, and he’d smile,and have a little comeback, as he handed us the current version. I never asked for the 1946 menu, because I didn’t want to appear really cheap. Rising rents along Colorado Blvd. led to Dino’s demise ten or so years ago, but it had a long life.

For those of Y’all who are really Really into things historical RE restaurants, check out this Gal’s collection of Menus http://tinyurl.com/y9su5gmy ! When you click on a Menu icon, be sure to click on the operative labelled “Zoom In”, more than once as if need be.

Maybe Norms’ which still has some locations I think.

I do indeed remember La Barbera’s…really good. But usually I went to Brno’s which was a lot closer to home, and was just as good.