Your Memories 01

This is the place to discuss restaurants that the proprietor of this blog never went to and therefore cannot write about.  Comments about restaurants that are open and operating are discouraged.

242 Responses to Your Memories 01

Mark S–
    I lived in Reseda 1973-1978. I don’t remember a Ravenellis during that time. Where (approximate cross streets) and when was it in business?

• Mark S says:

Ravanellis Pizza…. a 50 year old landmark pizza takeout joint in Reseda… great pizza, great prices, Gino retired and the family took over… guess what happened next??

• Rose Marie says:

Does anyone remember a place called Kalibows (mis spelled). it was small and served the best ribs with a half of a sweet potatoes. it had a Polynesian atmosphere…it was either in Beverly hills and Santa Monica areaduring the late 50’s and 60’s

• Ron Baker says:

5th quarter was a great restaurant chain in Louisville KY. I am unsure where their other restaurants were, but they had the best Prime Rib and salad bar anywhere.
    I believe they closed in early 90s, but I don’t know about when others closed nationally.

• kimberly says:

In the mid 60’s to 1970 we use to go to a restaurant, very casual but nice somewhere around Burbank. When you sat down they brought a small plate of radishes, carrots and celery chilled with little square ice chips. I always ordered the french dip sandwich. For some reason I remember a raised ramp along the front of the restaurant. Booth tables were along the front windows and I think there was a bar you could eat at also.

• Sandy says:

Anyone remember The Bit Of Sweden on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood, 50’s era ?
    My very first Buffet (0h my)

• Sandy says:

In the 1957 when I moved to LA, there use to be a little stand that sold
    Steak sandwiches only, on Santa Monica Blvd., in Hollywood at that time. It was not to far from the cemetery, across the St.? Now I know that I’m really reaching on this one, but any of you foodies know it? If that’s not enough, anyone have that unforgetable receipe? Thanks

• Sandy says:

Elyce,

I agree with you, Origional BarBQ was WONDERFUL. Always wondered what happened to the place. Did it go to bbq heaven. Must have because I still dream about those succulent ribs & I can still taste that delicious cold slaw. Sorry, wish I had that receipe. I believe it was located at 6th & Vermont.
    My Jewish boyfriend use to take me there in the late 50’s, sorry Ronny…

Sandy — I was thinking of Haji Baba recently. I, too, ate there in the early ’60s. It was the first restaurant of its type I ever ate at. Now I live in an area with lots of Lebanese, Armenian and Persian restaurants.

• Sandy says:

Best meditaraian food ever was at Haji Babas at LaCienaga/Centenella in Inglewood. Can anyone tell me what became of them. I use to dine there in the 60’s. No one can compare to their food that I know of. If you know this restaurant & know of another in comparison PLEASE let me know. It’s on my bucket list. Thanks

• James williams says:

I am wondering does anybody remember the van de kamps windmill restraunts

• Melissa says:

Does anyone remember the name of the small deli that was in the shopping center at Sepulveda and National? The shopping center anchor store is a Vons. There was a small deli towards the south end. Maybe Kay’s Deli or K&K? Something like that.

• Don J. Long says:

There was a restaurant near Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank from the 1930s to the 1970s called the China Seas, on Riverside and Pass Avenue. It was torn down in the 1980s and a pizza restaurant is on the site today. The China Seas Restaurant was a favorite haunt of Bogie and Bacall for dinner and drinks from 1944 to the early 1950s. I don’t know if Gable & Harlow ever went there (they co-starred in the 1935 movie CHINA SEAS at MGM). I personally recall having seen the restaurant in the 1970s while it was still in business, but I never ate there. I recall there was a sailing ship on the sea during a night storm over the front entrance and inside the same painting in a frame on the wall. It said, “Steaks – Chops – Cocktails” on a sign outside.
    Does anyone recall this place?

• Victoria says:

Can’t believe I wrote an epistle on a ton of great, past restaurants and it wouldn’t post, insisting that it was a duplicate post. Sigh.

• Tori says:

I remember going to Moscow Nights on Corbin. Their food was authentic and the entertainment, first rate. So many great deli restaurants: Solly’s in W.H. and other places. Weiler’s and Zooky’s in Beverly Hills (I think).
    Anyone recall a Tempura Inn on Topanga in WH. Great little Japanese restaurant back in the 60s. Learned how to use chopsticks there at 5. They had 1 or two tatami rooms. Milanos was a great family-owned Italian restaurant that celebs used to go because it was fairly week hidden. Los Toros and Sagebrush Cantina in the valley were great before they expanded. One room each when we went. Same w/Follow Your Heart. All still there. Zooky’s deli in Beverly Hills was great. Anyone remember The Magic Pan? Big story about their closing. Google. So many great restaurants gone. Sea Cove on Ventura in the valley. Bob Burns, Casa De Gardenas in Tarzana. Anyone?

• DON SHARKEY says:

One of the most elegant restaurants that has closed was Perino’s on Wilshire Blvd. Back in the early 1980’s, it was the place to impress advertising agencies and large clients with lunch that might last several hours. I remember vividly the waiter saying I had a phone call and then letting me know in a different area of the restaurant that my credit card was declined. It was a company credit card and had just returned from a very expensive business trip to Chicago. I pulled out my own and paid the bill but everyone that worked there exuded class. Miss it…..

• Daniel Binkier says:

Does anyone remember Mayer’s Bakery, Deli, and Restaurant on Western Ave just south of Santa Monica Blvd? It had 3 entrances, 2 in front, 1 on the Bakery side and 1 on the Deli side, the other entrance was from the back and through the Bakery itself. It was eventually run by Johnny Marks, who married the Daughter of the original owner who on weekends would occasionally run the bakery. It was well known and frequented by many local movie stars many of which left their autograph on the many bricks just inside the entrance by the deli side, and by the rear exit into the Bakery. I had the pleasure of meeting Larry Fine of the Three Stooges amongst other greats.

• Doug says:

Anyone remember a restaurant called Yum Burger in Inglewood? I am looking for a picture of the neon sign Indian head that was on the building in the 60’s.

• Garry says:

I Remember Fairytale Bakery very well, W LA on Pico Blvd. My Dad Deward Hoffman was a baker there for many years.

Ira Halpern, might you be thinking of Picolo’s. If it is, you remember a wonderful eatery.

• Anna says:

Was Surprised not to see listing for either Gorky’s (Hollywood or Downtown LA) especially with all the trendy brewery themed places?? Nothing about old Duke’s on Sunset. They were the essential late night places to go in LA for years back in the day.

• Ira Halpern says:

There was a restaurant on the south side of Pico boulevard between Beverly Drive and Roxbury. Open fron thre 60’s-70″s. Does anyone recll the name?

• Dan Monick says:

Does anyone remember a free standing diner on Santa Monica Blvd just east of North Fuller? I believe it was on the street facing part of a parking lot of a strip mall that used to have a Trader Joes in it. Its all condos now. Had a western style name. Cant remember the name!

• Michelle K says:

Does anyone remember Stern’s BBQ on Washington Blvd?? Also, a restaurant in Mid-Wilshire (with red tall leather booths) that the actor Don Knotts use to frequent???

• Jack says:

I just found an ashtray in a junk box of mine from Mum’s, a restaurant where I ate only once. I believe it was on Melrose and it was either in the late 80’s or early 90’s; I only vaguely remember the occasion. Does anyone remember this place and can tell me anything about it?

• Mary Ann says:

Does anyone recall the Leiker Bakery that I believe used to be (1960’s) located somewhere in downtown LA, near Adams.

• Mike Gray says:

Does anybody remember All American Burgerville on Western Avenue in Los Angeles? I went there regularly in the 1970’s. It somewhere well north of Third Ave. on Western. The guy who owned it was eccentric, the place was very tiny and the he opened and closed when he felt like it. I was a student at the time. He offered a Goliath Burger that was an actual pound of meat. It was one dollar. Milkshakes were 25 cents. None of regulars wanted to tell anyone else about this goldmine because the proprietor would close shop if there were more than 4 customers.

• Marc Guttman says:

Favorite restaurant as a kid was Otto’s Pink Pig on Van Nuys Blvd. My mother was a bad cook so Dad took us to Otto’s every Thanksgiving. Otto made a big deal out of “Saving” the turkey drumstick for us kids. Little did we realize that he could only serve drum sticks to kids, adults would not eat them.

• Michael Woodrum says:

My wife loved Canoga Inn, later to become Michael’s when she grew up in Canoga Park in the 60’s-70’s. She would to hear from anyone who also remembers, especially loved the Chicken Romano, anyone know the receipe?

• AP from LA says:

To Mike of October 30, 2017 at 4:08 pm
    omg, I spent my high school years working at a gas station (full-service – anyone remember those?) not even 100-ft from a Pup-n-Taco in Inglewood CA in the 70s. Manchester/La Cienaga. What’s notable is that it was next door to the iconic The Big (now Randy’s) Do-nut. The best part about that Pup was that they let us order whatever combos we wanted. My fav – chilli-cheese double- dog pastrami burrito. Oh yeah!

I just read something about the owner of PnP also owned the Big Do-nut chain, so that explains that. And I just found a great pic of them both on that corner.

Dennis Feely – I certainly remember Peking. I ate there many times. One meal stands out. We ordered, my fiance and I, Chicken Cashew. I realized that in my first helping I had not had any crunch, and she hadn’t either. In my second helping I did get a single cashew, she still none.. The term Chicken Cashew, singular, was apt that evening.

• Bob Parlon says:

Spring 1966, was serving in Army Intelligence in Pasadena. My best friend in unit received orders for Vietnam. I commented that I would never get orders for Vietnam and a bet was formed. If I did get orders I had to buy dinner for us and our girl friends. Next day I got my orders. Scandia was selected because it was the fanciest restaurant we knew of. Had great meal and we both got thru Vietnam unharmed. Unfortunately my friend passed away last year. I am uncluttering my home and came across a box of stuff from Pasadena experience. In stuff were several sugar cubes wrapped in paper with Scandia Name and Logo. Great memory, thanks Scandia

• Dennis feely says:

Anyone remember the Peking or Matini’s market in Inglewood? The Peking had the best egg rolls, lo mien and S&S shrimp. Martini’s had the best Marinated artichoke hearts and sub.

• Patrick says:

We used to go to a restaurant, 1950’s, called Lucky Domenic’s, on Santa Monica Blvd, north side of the street, and 3 stores east of Doheny Drive. Family run by chef Dominic Bocio and wife as the hostess. Outstanding food, great memories!

• John Graef says:

Does anyone remember remember the old Pasquale’s Pizza and Steak restaurant on Western Ave near Century Blvd in Los Angles in the 1960’s? My wife and i shared our wedding day with the owner family in January 1968.

• John Bihary says:

The Glendale lodge restaurant was the Shaker Mountain Inn and featured a gleaming copper door at the entrance. Later became Duet and recently torn down and will become Central Grill and still by David Yost.

• John Engstrom says:

Debi, Arcadia, CA July 13, 2017 –
    The name of the restaurant you are describing was Maldonado’s. They also had a fiddler on the roof playing just before the doors opened for the evening.

• Charity Thomas says:

Does anyone remember a little hut on Jefferson and labrea called “lots a bull”?

• Vera says:

Hi John, thanks so much for your response. My dad says that the restaurant was located on the northwest corner of Olympic and Sepulveda Blvd and had a parking lot or empty lot in front. He worked there in the late 1950s. He says that the Falcon was a steak and lobster restaurant. The waiters were all black men in uniform. The restaurant was dark with a candle on each table. He said the owner, Mr. Smith, owned another restaurant somewhere. He says that it wasn’t a big restaurant, and at the time there were no big buildings around it. I’ve searched all over google but I’m having no luck. Perhaps it didn’t stay in business very long.

Vera, I lived on the Westside from 1954-1973 (it was a better place to live, compared with now). I don’t remember the Falcon Restaurant at all. Can you provide more info on it to jog this elder’s memory?

• Arnie says:

Trying to find info on the hamburger stand called ‘Rand’s’ on the Beverly Blvd/Fairfax Ave corner before CBS Television City was built. It was the forerunner to the McDonalds concept. Cheap and fast hamburgers & fries.

• Vera says:

My 84 year old father worked at a Falcon Restaurant at the corner of Sepulveda and Olympic when he was in college in the 1950s. He’d love to hear of what happened to the restaurant and the kind owner Mr. Smith who gave a young Korean immigrant a job as a pantry man.