Your Memories 01

This is the place to discuss restaurants that the proprietor of this blog never went to and therefore cannot write about.  Comments about restaurants that are open and operating are discouraged.

231 Responses to Your Memories 01

Whoa Earle…I was at SC at the time. Unless I slept under a rock, I don’t remember such a “generous” place which would have seemed to make for an ideal “coffee date” as they were called back then. Alas, can’t def deny it tho.

• Earle Robitaille says:

Somewhere in the late 1950″s there was an Ice Cream parlor at about 36th & Vermont in LA. The one selection I remember from their menu was the ‘Idiots Delight” Which was a massive dish of way too much ice, cream & other fattening things. What waS IT’S NAME?

• Earle Robitaille says:

Rudi”s Restaraunt on Crenshaw. Was originally Rudi’s at 39th & Western Ave.

I eat there almost every day in the late 1940’s while I attended Foshay JHS, just north of their location. The BEST pasta sauce ever, aged in oak bbls. for at least 90 days in their ice house, before being returned to the kitchen and heated in 50 gal. steam kettles

• Greg Nolan says:

WOW Bob, Thank You!

Yo Greg…hope this helps http://tinyurl.com/yblacz9z as well as this story http://tinyurl.com/y7qpjb56
    (Alas and sad, don’t think I ever made it into Clifton’s.)

• Greg Nolan says:

I recall that there were two Clifton’s cafeterias downtown.
    The one restored was the redwood one, I can’t remember the name of the other one but that was the one my sister and I liked. In one, I can’t remember which one, but there was, in a side room a life-size Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. We young ones were very impressed. We went with our grandmother, and on one of the early trips went downtown on one of the old red streetcars, guess it was at the very end of there time. This was in the mid 1950’s 1954 0r 55 I guess. Also on one of these trips rode on Angles Flight, downtown LA was so interesting then. We also liked the original Taix restaurant, and Pauls duck press.

• Beverly Arcia says:

I’m surprised to see that Vickman’s Restaurant and Bakery isn’t featured on this website (as far as I can tell). Truly the food was heavenly and in the 80’s I used to travel there in the wee morning hours to buy a treat for my office friends. They loved the banana bread with slices of real bananas and black walnuts.
    I actually have a brochure from Vickman’s and instead of tossing it, I’d love to send it to the first person who shows interest.

• Greg Nolan says:

Anyone here remember the Saratoga Restaurant? It was located on Sunset at Hayworth. Great Mane Lobster, a true dark red restaurant.

• Toni Sherman says:

Trying to locate anyone who remembers Picadilly Restaurant in La Cienega between Waring and Santa Monica on the east side of the street in the 1950’s

• Joe Tradii says:

Walter, remember Tia Juana’s well. Takes me back. I used to eat their often with a lady I was dating. Some of my fondest memories

• John Engstrom says:

Wendy – Yes I remember La Barbera’s in West L.A., and I agree that it was pretty good, but I preferred Jacopo’s in Beverly Hills (just off Little Santa Monica) or Irvula’s in Playa del Rey

• Todd F. says:

Does anyone remember a cafeteria-style Mexican restaurant in Santa Monica called Castillo’s? It was on Wilshire Blvd., but I cannot recall the cross street. My family went there after moving to Southern California from a Chicago suburb in 1957, and from age 7 onward I recall loving the hard-shell tacos with your choice of fillings (including a delicious seasoned ground beef mixture) and toppings. The tacos were prepared to order as you stood in line, wrapped in waxed paper, and served on square Melmac plates of different colors. Castillo’s was a family favorite to which we returned frequently. It was the first Mexican food I ever encountered, so it is hard to dislodge from my memories, even as we now enjoy the broadest and richest range of options for outstanding Mexican cuisine.

• Wendy says:

Does anyone remember La Barbera’s Italian Restaurant on Wilshire in West LA? Have not had a more delectable pizza before or since. We lived in the Valley and whenever my parents had a craving, they would send me, newly licensed, to drive over the hill to pick up a pie or 2. I still have my grandfather’s La Barbera’s matchbook that I carry in my purse (no area code on the phone # and Bruins Welcome printed inside the matchbook cover)

• Pamela says:

Does anyone have any info on an old restaurant called The Turf Club? It was located in or around the Downey or Norwalk area during the 1970’s.
    Thanks!

• Kent Leigh says:

There used to be a restaurant called Yum Burgers in the Inglewood area. My grandmother used to take me there in early 60’s. Anyone know when it closed?

• DR says:

Does anyone remember the name of a German restaurant at 1120 Pico Blvd in Santa Monica?

It closed a bit before Knoll’s Black Forest Inn on Wilshire.

• Daniel Louis says:

Does anyone remember The Wiener Factory on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks? It was the best hotdog/polish dog place EVER. I remember when it closed, there were lines around the corner for several days/weeks prior to its closing. The owner said his rent was going up too much and he had had enough. The steamed buns melted in your mouth; the toppings for the dogs were delicious; and the spicy polish dog was the best single food ever.

Several years after The Wiener Factory closed, a couple of ex-employees from the restaurant starting The Wien, a food-truck modeled after The Wiener Factory. They matched the quality and taste of the food perfectly. But, after only a few months or a year, they were gone. I never heard what happened to the food-truck, but I sure miss it. Does anyone have any idea what happened to The Wein truck?

Thanks,

• Phil Ehrens says:

The first place I ever ate solid food was The Jefferson Bowl Coffee Shop. Despite the name, it was a chop suey joint. The cook cooked every day from 6 a.m. to midnight. One of the waitresses was at least 100 years old. I have a menu from the last day they were open.

Alan – When did you work at The Nine Muses, and were there two of them. in 1963/65ish I used to eat at The Nine Muses which was on Santa Monica Blvd., Hollywood, very near the old Union Ice House (which sold blocks of ice). I learned of it through a co-worker wanna be actor who was a server there (we called them waiters and waitresses in that paleo age). Food was very good, imaginative for the time, and reasonably priced.

• Alan says:

I used to work at a place called The Nine Muses . It was located across the street from LA City college. The cook (Ilona) was fabulous and she prepared variouis European dishes. Her Hungarian goulash was very good. The place was small and featured a lot of paintings hung on the walls for sale.

After I left college, I heard that the place moved; possibly to somewhere on Santa Monica Blvd.

• julie baughman says:

We used to go to Kiko’s Mexican Restaurant every week. It was in Burbank, near Pickwick (sp?)

• julie baughman says:

I’m trying to remember the name of a Chinese restaurant on Ventura Blvd. in Toulca Lake. I’d go there to see a singer/musician who was probably just starting out. He’s since “made it” and I want to message him. He’s so good looking. Andy Childs is his name.

• Robert Navarro says:

Does anyone remember a restaurant in Sherman Oaks, CA (on Ventura Blvd.) on the North side of the street that had part of the deck of a ship (with a sail and rigging) out front?

• Walter Lapinsky says:

Does anybody remember when TIA JUANAS Mexican Restaurant in West LA closed? It was on Olympic between Bundy and Barrington. When you walked in you were greeted by a woman making tortillas by hand. I used to go there in the early 2000s and then it just vanished.

Yo Linda (Evans): Am sure the Folks over at the FS would love to read your Memories herein http://oldlarestaurants.com/fish-shanty/
    (Alas, you were kinda skimpy on the details of what fun ya had with David…that I’m sure we all would want to read about too….LOL You must be some Chica for him to drive up from SD!)

• e c says:

I had a friend and her family ran a magoos restaurant in the late 60s. their last name was landa. any info on this?

• Linda Evans says:

I worked at the Fish Shanty in the late 70’s. LOVED this job and Mr. Kaiser who was a wonderful man to have as a boss. We had albalone sandwiches which he loved and wasn’t suppose to eat but he did anyway. The other waitress and busboys were family. Marietta, Gru, Donna, I have a picture of all of us in our red short dress and white petticoat uniforms. I learned to filet trout and what whitefish was. One of my best waitress jobs ever. I also had a boyfriend named David that would come from San Diego to pick me up after work and have fun. He was one of the best too.

• Gershon Weltman says:

I’m looking for the actual name and location of a drive-in restaurant that I think was located at La Brea and Beverly Blvd in the early 1950s. I remember waitresses on roller skates, but may be mistaken about that, as well as about the location. A friend says La Brea and Melrose. Any help?

Holy Geez!!! time to take my medicine!!! Here’s the vid http://tinyurl.com/ycopvh55

Erratum John et al! Sorry… in my rush and having had several screens opened about various aspects of the LAX Icon, I should have used this link http://tinyurl.com/yaafx72b to the Daily Breeze RE the restaurant’s rotation. As a “make-up”, here’s one of several videos about the icon with interior views, albeit of the renovated…more galactic(?)…. “Encounter” as it was later called. Initially, the Theme restaurant was more sedate as befitting a “fine-dining” setting of the era.
    Thanks for your patience

• Jackie Obarr says:

Julio’s Italian Resturant in Eagle Rock on Eagle Rock Blvd. they did fundraising for Eagle Rock Elementary in the early 80’s.

• Liliana Stewart says:

I remember an Italian restaurant called Lucy’s, where my dad used to take me for dinner, at least twice a month…this was around 1953… great memories!! I don’t remember exactly where it was …but I’d love to know what happened to it …when it closed, etc…

• John Engstrom says:

Noticed that there is no page for Papadakis Taverna in San Pedro. Great restaurant for forty years, but alas, no more

• Elyce says:

I don’t see The Original Barbecue listed here! It was on 6th Street (I don’t remembec the cross street) & had the most delicious BBQ! The coleslaw was vinegar based & I have never been able to duplicate that luscious slaw. The sauce was more vinegary, too. The food was so good!

Alas John…and with all due respect to your Mom, I was finishing up USC in ’62. At that time and into ’63 I had a fiancee down the road in Hermosa Beach whose Dad delighted in taking us to The Theme Building of LAX. While I admit he made a mean Mai Tai as a popular drink of the era…and so your report got me questioning its “rotation”. As such, I checked with The Where-All-End-All of info http://tinyurl.com/mdv8gsp which confirms my Memory. Alas, digging deeper, there is The Daily Breeze’s confirmation http://tinyurl.com/mdv8gsp !!! Ok…maybe it is getting down into the weeds: while the “outer shell structure” was “set”, the restaurant’s floor was what rotated, albeit not in your Mom’s time…LOL
    -Thanks for posting!

• John Engstrom says:

Does anybody remember a restaurant in Culver City called “Al Penny’s”? It was near the intersection of Culver and Washington, and had an absolutely huge menu. My favorite was the Monte Cristo, but you could have had a different breakfast, lunch and dinner there for a year before you duplicated.

• John Engstrom says:

Bob of the Village . . . The restaurant in the theme building NEVER revolved. Now, if you had more than a few cocktails it may have seemed that way. . . “Angels Flight” on top of the Broadway Plaza downtown, and the top of the Bonaventure, also downtown, revolved, but never the LAX structure. My mother worked there as a waitress in the 70’s, and was asked about it often.

• John Engstrom says:

Donna re Diamond Jim’s – I, too, went to Diamond Jim’s because I worked at a nearby insurance company (in my case, Mission Insurance at Wilshire & Rampart). On rare occasions, it was for a business lunch, usually it was for Friday night happy hour. I don’t recall the food as being particularly memorable, but it was a good place to unwind.

• mark says:

Anyone have memories of Johnnies steak house up on Hollywood near Cherokee lane?
    Terrific bacon wrapped Filet Mignon steak I ever ate. Girlfriend and I would eat dinner then stroll Hollywood Blvd. Quite amusing!!

• Steve Weinberg says:

Don;t forget the Tic Tock restaurat in Hollywood and their hot cinnamon rolls.
    And yes, i used to go to Rudy’s on Chrenshaw Blvd and Coliseum St. It was great.

• Gary Benson says:

To Dan of Reno… Across from the Ambassador (Coconut Grove) were (2) restaurants: Dales Secret Harbor and The Brown Derby. Do either of those ring a bell??

By the way, what a hoot reading about eateries I haven’t thought about for years. Congrats to whomever put this site together!

• Kristen Langley says:

Hey, Mike.

Re: Pup n’ Taco.

There was one in Redondo Beach at the corner of Artesia Blvd./Rindge Lane. I was living with my father in the area, and going to Aviation High School (RIP) for my Junior and Senior class years.

In an awesome ‘blast from the past’, someone put up ads on Facebook last year offering T-shirts printed with the logos of L.A. area-themed businesses that have gone away.

One of the designs available was… you got it (and so did I) … Pup n’Taco.

• Natasha says:

Anyone remember a place called “Danny’s Apple”

• Paul DeSantis says:

Poor Richards – Great relish appetizer(carrot, celery, green onion and radish), cello wrapped saltines with butter pats, straight horseradish with the prime rib and the trains running around the room- what 5 to 12 year old in the late fifties or early sixties wouldn’t want to go there every Saturday night!

• peter Odell says:

looking for older painting hung in Scandia 1969 1970 Viking ship with norseman aboard imposed on sail

• mike says:

Ive been trying to remember the name of a Hawaiian restaurant in Gardena accross from Gardena Datsun(now Nissan)This restaurant was there in the late 80s and early 90s.Thanks

• Marilyn Blanck says:

General Lee’s Man Jen Low –Chinatown, Los Angeles. It flourished in the 50s and early 60s, I believe, then disappeared. Cantonese, it was a very, very good restaurant and considered by many to be the best place in Chinatown. While I was in college, I organized a group to have dinner there, and booked in the name of the professor, who was a Norwegian. When 15 Caucasians arrived, a very quick re-set of the table took place along with an explanatory, “Oh, you’re not Chinese. From the name you gave, we thought you were.” Out came the forks! We enjoyed our dinner enormously – with forks or sticks!

• lynn camm says:

Would love to locate the minestrone soup recipe and the spaghetti sauce recipe from Rudy’s on Crenshaw Blvd in Los Angeles. Rudy’s did not burn down while it was Rudy’s, sadly Rudy died and no one wanted to keep the lovely place going. To my knowledge the lovely art work was sold and it became some other establishment. I was still going there for lunch while I was in college in 75 and am not sure how many years after that that it closed. Many many fond memories of having lunch there as a family. Great food and atmosphere, especially for children to learn how to behave and enjoy good food.

Yo Evan/Sharon,

Clifton’s…alas, I don’t think I ever made it there, but Y’all might enjoy pics http://tinyurl.com/y9q45cmp (click pics to enlarge.) As pics are added overtime, a reader may have to do a Google Image search using, e.g. Clifton’s downtown. Oh! Oh! just for you Evan http://tinyurl.com/y9o2oebj

Windjammer…Alas I was hoping that might be the name of a place on Hollywood Riviera’s Catalina Ave that had a Polynesian ambiance like Trader Vic’s/Don the BeachCombers. As I noted in the past, it was in a business area where Kurt’s Scandinavian home decor was. Alas it ain’t, as evidenced by this pic http://tinyurl.com/yc2ju9r4
    Regards….

• Evan Zang says:

I also wanted to thank Sharon Beahm for her post on January 3rd regarding Clifton’s Cafeteria. I LOVED that place, though I couldn’t tell you what I ate there as a kid. I only remember Clifton’s “treasure chest” full of brightly colored toys and games, free stuff for kids, there for doing nothing more than “finishing all of our food.” Clifton’s was awesome, but I also loved going with my parents to The Parasol in Torrence, and The Windjammer in Redondo. My Dad always ordered the “double Spencer steak” at the Windjammer, while my Mom preferred the elegant Sundaes at the Parasol. And sometimes, as an extra bonus, dinner at The Windjammer would be followed up by a double feature at the Torrence Drive-In. Darn I wish all of these places were still up and operating!!!!