Your Memories 01

This is the place to discuss restaurants that the proprietor of this blog never went to and therefore cannot write about.  Comments about restaurants that are open and operating are discouraged.

172 Responses to Your Memories 01

Holy Geez!!! time to take my medicine!!! Here’s the vid http://tinyurl.com/ycopvh55

Erratum John et al! Sorry… in my rush and having had several screens opened about various aspects of the LAX Icon, I should have used this link http://tinyurl.com/yaafx72b to the Daily Breeze RE the restaurant’s rotation. As a “make-up”, here’s one of several videos about the icon with interior views, albeit of the renovated…more galactic(?)…. “Encounter” as it was later called. Initially, the Theme restaurant was more sedate as befitting a “fine-dining” setting of the era.
    Thanks for your patience

• Jackie Obarr says:

Julio’s Italian Resturant in Eagle Rock on Eagle Rock Blvd. they did fundraising for Eagle Rock Elementary in the early 80’s.

• Liliana Stewart says:

I remember an Italian restaurant called Lucy’s, where my dad used to take me for dinner, at least twice a month…this was around 1953… great memories!! I don’t remember exactly where it was …but I’d love to know what happened to it …when it closed, etc…

• John Engstrom says:

Noticed that there is no page for Papadakis Taverna in San Pedro. Great restaurant for forty years, but alas, no more

• Elyce says:

I don’t see The Original Barbecue listed here! It was on 6th Street (I don’t remembec the cross street) & had the most delicious BBQ! The coleslaw was vinegar based & I have never been able to duplicate that luscious slaw. The sauce was more vinegary, too. The food was so good!

Alas John…and with all due respect to your Mom, I was finishing up USC in ’62. At that time and into ’63 I had a fiancee down the road in Hermosa Beach whose Dad delighted in taking us to The Theme Building of LAX. While I admit he made a mean Mai Tai as a popular drink of the era…and so your report got me questioning its “rotation”. As such, I checked with The Where-All-End-All of info http://tinyurl.com/mdv8gsp which confirms my Memory. Alas, digging deeper, there is The Daily Breeze’s confirmation http://tinyurl.com/mdv8gsp !!! Ok…maybe it is getting down into the weeds: while the “outer shell structure” was “set”, the restaurant’s floor was what rotated, albeit not in your Mom’s time…LOL
    -Thanks for posting!

• John Engstrom says:

Does anybody remember a restaurant in Culver City called “Al Penny’s”? It was near the intersection of Culver and Washington, and had an absolutely huge menu. My favorite was the Monte Cristo, but you could have had a different breakfast, lunch and dinner there for a year before you duplicated.

• John Engstrom says:

Bob of the Village . . . The restaurant in the theme building NEVER revolved. Now, if you had more than a few cocktails it may have seemed that way. . . “Angels Flight” on top of the Broadway Plaza downtown, and the top of the Bonaventure, also downtown, revolved, but never the LAX structure. My mother worked there as a waitress in the 70’s, and was asked about it often.

• John Engstrom says:

Donna re Diamond Jim’s – I, too, went to Diamond Jim’s because I worked at a nearby insurance company (in my case, Mission Insurance at Wilshire & Rampart). On rare occasions, it was for a business lunch, usually it was for Friday night happy hour. I don’t recall the food as being particularly memorable, but it was a good place to unwind.

• mark says:

Anyone have memories of Johnnies steak house up on Hollywood near Cherokee lane?
    Terrific bacon wrapped Filet Mignon steak I ever ate. Girlfriend and I would eat dinner then stroll Hollywood Blvd. Quite amusing!!

• Steve Weinberg says:

Don;t forget the Tic Tock restaurat in Hollywood and their hot cinnamon rolls.
    And yes, i used to go to Rudy’s on Chrenshaw Blvd and Coliseum St. It was great.

• Gary Benson says:

To Dan of Reno… Across from the Ambassador (Coconut Grove) were (2) restaurants: Dales Secret Harbor and The Brown Derby. Do either of those ring a bell??

By the way, what a hoot reading about eateries I haven’t thought about for years. Congrats to whomever put this site together!

• Kristen Langley says:

Hey, Mike.

Re: Pup n’ Taco.

There was one in Redondo Beach at the corner of Artesia Blvd./Rindge Lane. I was living with my father in the area, and going to Aviation High School (RIP) for my Junior and Senior class years.

In an awesome ‘blast from the past’, someone put up ads on Facebook last year offering T-shirts printed with the logos of L.A. area-themed businesses that have gone away.

One of the designs available was… you got it (and so did I) … Pup n’Taco.

• Natasha says:

Anyone remember a place called “Danny’s Apple”

• Paul DeSantis says:

Poor Richards – Great relish appetizer(carrot, celery, green onion and radish), cello wrapped saltines with butter pats, straight horseradish with the prime rib and the trains running around the room- what 5 to 12 year old in the late fifties or early sixties wouldn’t want to go there every Saturday night!

• peter Odell says:

looking for older painting hung in Scandia 1969 1970 Viking ship with norseman aboard imposed on sail

• mike says:

Ive been trying to remember the name of a Hawaiian restaurant in Gardena accross from Gardena Datsun(now Nissan)This restaurant was there in the late 80s and early 90s.Thanks

• Marilyn Blanck says:

General Lee’s Man Jen Low –Chinatown, Los Angeles. It flourished in the 50s and early 60s, I believe, then disappeared. Cantonese, it was a very, very good restaurant and considered by many to be the best place in Chinatown. While I was in college, I organized a group to have dinner there, and booked in the name of the professor, who was a Norwegian. When 15 Caucasians arrived, a very quick re-set of the table took place along with an explanatory, “Oh, you’re not Chinese. From the name you gave, we thought you were.” Out came the forks! We enjoyed our dinner enormously – with forks or sticks!

• lynn camm says:

Would love to locate the minestrone soup recipe and the spaghetti sauce recipe from Rudy’s on Crenshaw Blvd in Los Angeles. Rudy’s did not burn down while it was Rudy’s, sadly Rudy died and no one wanted to keep the lovely place going. To my knowledge the lovely art work was sold and it became some other establishment. I was still going there for lunch while I was in college in 75 and am not sure how many years after that that it closed. Many many fond memories of having lunch there as a family. Great food and atmosphere, especially for children to learn how to behave and enjoy good food.

Yo Evan/Sharon,

Clifton’s…alas, I don’t think I ever made it there, but Y’all might enjoy pics http://tinyurl.com/y9q45cmp (click pics to enlarge.) As pics are added overtime, a reader may have to do a Google Image search using, e.g. Clifton’s downtown. Oh! Oh! just for you Evan http://tinyurl.com/y9o2oebj

Windjammer…Alas I was hoping that might be the name of a place on Hollywood Riviera’s Catalina Ave that had a Polynesian ambiance like Trader Vic’s/Don the BeachCombers. As I noted in the past, it was in a business area where Kurt’s Scandinavian home decor was. Alas it ain’t, as evidenced by this pic http://tinyurl.com/yc2ju9r4
    Regards….

• Evan Zang says:

I also wanted to thank Sharon Beahm for her post on January 3rd regarding Clifton’s Cafeteria. I LOVED that place, though I couldn’t tell you what I ate there as a kid. I only remember Clifton’s “treasure chest” full of brightly colored toys and games, free stuff for kids, there for doing nothing more than “finishing all of our food.” Clifton’s was awesome, but I also loved going with my parents to The Parasol in Torrence, and The Windjammer in Redondo. My Dad always ordered the “double Spencer steak” at the Windjammer, while my Mom preferred the elegant Sundaes at the Parasol. And sometimes, as an extra bonus, dinner at The Windjammer would be followed up by a double feature at the Torrence Drive-In. Darn I wish all of these places were still up and operating!!!!