Your Memories 01

This is the place to discuss restaurants that the proprietor of this blog never went to and therefore cannot write about.  Comments about restaurants that are open and operating are discouraged.

301 Responses to Your Memories 01

• Randall Fred says:

DELORES Wilshire and La Cienega, Beverly Hills

• Randall Fred says:

BIT OF SWEDEN Sunset and Doheny

• Jamie Jimenez says:

Does anyone remember a restaurant called Amy Straws in the LAarea in 1982 1983?

• Rick says:

Carl’s by the Sea was on PCH in Santa Monica. Carl’s by the Sears was on the corner of Soto and Olympic in Boyle Heights. Best hamburger size and cherry coke for about $1.00. (1940’s)

• Abby Brock says:

Does anyone remember Jay’s Restaurant? It was on Rosecrans Blvd in Compton in the 1960’s. It was next to M.W.S Water Heater. I believe the building is still there? A vitamin shop, possibly? My great grandma, Edith Deemer, and her sister, Pat Smiley, were the owners. My great grandma was forced to sell the place after her sister passed away. It was wildly popular, and had the BEST pies in California. They were homemade, fresh every day.

• John Engstrom says:

Toni (April 30,2019)

Hamburger Hamlet has a spot on the left side of the page. Cafe Figaro probably should as a lot of people have mentioned it, but it doesn’t, yet.

Nate ‘n’ Al’s was recently rescued from closing – details on Vintage Los Angeles website.

El Coyote is still around http://elcoyotecafe.com/

• Toni says:

P.S. Perhaps my most favorite restaurant of all, as a little kid–Hamburger Hamlet in West Hollywood! A dark, very ’70’s-looking place with those naugahyde booths. I always ordered the fried chicken wings. :)

• Toni says:

Favorite childhood restaurants (I grew up in Beverly Hills in the ’70’s): Jacopo’s Pizza; Nate ‘N’ Al (Nate used to greet us by name & our waitress was Elaine); Ah Fong, a subterranean Chinese place (proprietor Benson Fong, a retired actor); and then there was this 1960’s-looking place with bright pink and orange circles, all very pop-art, where I used to get the ham sandwich as a little kid–I wish I could remember the name. There was also the Magic Pan for crepes. My mom also used to take me to the Carnation Factory downtown to get ice cream; so simple and good. Later on in High School there was Café Figaro in West Hollywood of course, with their gooey, cheesy French onion soup. And then the most awesome El Coyote with its air of danger; is it still there?

Yo Louis, while not on the southside of H Blvd, might Y’all be actually thinking of http://tinyurl.com/y48mps8z which is just east of Highland?

• Louis Godinez says:

Does anyone remember the name of the Hawaiian restaurant south side of Hollywood boulevard east of highland

• Rawhide says:

I also agree. Madame Wu’s was a staple. I visited many times.

• Eddie K says:

I haven’t seen any mention of Madame Wu’s Garden on Wilshire in Santa Monica. Madame Wu’s Beef was the best. You can still google the recipe.

• Carl Paquette says:

I’m trying to remember a drive-in that was located at Slauson & Crenshaw in the ‘60’s. I think the name was Teddy’s.

• Natalie says:

Drive in restaurant on Pico and Sepulveda in the 1960’s?

• Jaime Bates says:

There used to be a diner near Alameda and 8th in Downtown Los Angeles. It closed down, I believe in the late 80s, early 90s. I think it was damaged in the 87 Whittier Narrows quake. Anyone remember the name?

• John Graves says:

Other dear restaurants from the memory hole of the 70s and 80s
    Tiny Naylors, the drive in at Sunset and La Brea
    The Shack, near Cahuenga and Melrose
    La Villa Taxco, a couple locations, one near Sunset and La Brea
    Hamptons on Highland
    New Meiji (various locations)Organicville on 3rd
    And a few real tears for Hamayoshi at Beverly and Hoover, a really great and large Japanese restaurant and sushi bar

warm regards ~ john@command-post.com

• John Graves says:

We were quite fond of Cafe Figaro on Melrose, and I have many happy memories of taking girls on dates there and so on. I still have a menu from 1977 from Figaro framed on my wall. Nothing will EVER replace Figaro. A few menu items from 1977:

SOUPS: french onion, split pea, provincial bean, stragiatella BOWL: 1.00

OUR MEAL IN A KETTLE: Served with figaro wheat bread: 3.25

SANDWICHES:
    egg salad 1.50
    turkey salad 1.70
    ham and cheese 2.10
    club figaro 3.25

HOT SANDWICHES
    hamburger or cheeseburger in wicker basket with steak house fries and fresh fruit 2.25
    Figaro melt 2.75

Dinner salad of fresh green .85
    chef salad ham, turkey, swiss cheese, alfalfa sprouts, boiled egg and fresh greens 3.35
    marinated artichoke heart salad with fresh greens 3.25
    THE figaro salad 3.95

COUNTRY CASSEROLES
    Croute au Fromage A combination of ham tomato, fresh muishrooms and onions on french bread, covered with melted swiss cheese and fried egg
    Cannelloni alla Romana: Crepes stuffed with meat, chicken, swiss and parmesan cheese and topped with well-seasoned tomato sauce

OMELETTES
    Omelette figaro 2.70 (diced turkey and mushrooms w white wine sauce)
    omelette chasseur 2.70
    omelette fromage 2.70
    eomelette epinards 2.70
    omelette hussard 2.95 (fresh spinach, ground beef and onions)
    omelette a l’alsace
    omelette l’impossible (green peppers, raisins, almonds, shredded coconut and a taste of curry) 3.15
    omelette delight 3.50
    plain omelette 2.25
    above served with figaro bread and fresh fruit

FISH
    pacific red snapper when available 4.35
    halibut 4.35

a few items from SPECIALS
    mushrooms a la milanaise 3.00
    stuffed zuchinni verona 3.30 ground beef, chunks of turkey, tomato and spinach, topped with melted swiss cheese
    Asparagus Piedmont 2.95
    Linguini 3.70
    Escargot (stuffed in mushroom caps, full serving) 6.50
    Curry a l’oriental 4.10
    Boeuf aux Champignons (choice half pound ground sirloin covered with fresh mushrooms and topped in a delightful ragout sauce with fresh vegetables and potatoes) 3.95
    Select New York Steak with fresh vegetables and potatoes 7.75

• BOTVOLR says:

Alas, I asked 1/17.
    Anyone remember Konditori in Westwood?
    How about a place with car hop service and a lounge serving food/drinks at Fig and Expo named Carl’s which catered to…it pains me to say…my apparently priviliged USC classmates!!! Eh! cut me slack…I didn’t even have a car/bike!!!!

• John Engstrom says:

Stephanie (3/16/19) I believe you are referring to Cafe Figaro, near the western terminus of Melrose.

• Stephanie J Meadows says:

I am trying to remember a cafe’ I used to go to in West Hollywood years ago. It was on Melrose and Santa Monica Blvd. and not far from that old bookstore The Buddha Tree. I would sit and have Onion soup and a glass of wine while I did my writing. Does anyone remember the name of it?

• Denyse says:

Does anyone remember Derrick’s, the restaurant in a high rise apartment building on Miracle Mile on Wilshire Boulevard? The host was Richard Simmons (before his fitness personna emerged). He was outrageous. Used to answer the phone in a very loud emotive voice saying “Hello, aren’t you glad you’ve reached Derrick’s?” I remember him jumping up with his legs around customers’ waists (the ones he knew of course) to welcome them. He also cut off ties of anyone who dared show up in one and did not remove it. Saw Jimmy Durante there one night. A delightful entertaining place and the food was good too, but couldn’t top Richard.

• Kathy Gonnella says:

Hi. Wondering if anyone remembers the long gone restaurant/drive in at Sepulveda and Pico southwest corner?

• John Engstrom says:

Fatdaddy, C.C. Brown’s is on this site.

• Fatdaddy says:

Anybody remember CC Browns? Is the hot fudge Lawry’s offers online even close to the real deal?

Alas, while I understand that comments about restaurants that are still open “are discouraged”, I think one that’s been opened more than 110 years in LA should be so respected, especially as it is listed within a web article as being one of “​13 Essential Bars and Restaurants for History Lovers​”​ around the whole freekin world: http://tinyurl.com/y63glev6 Indeed! KUDOS! Philippe https://www.philippes.com/!

• Mitch Waldow says:

There was a “continental” restaurant at the north end of Restaurant Row, on the west side of the street that I’m trying to recall the name of. It was in a house, and not a very large house. Patrons were seated in several rooms. My dad had recommended it to me as a nice place to take a date. Dad was right. The food was pretty good and not too expensive. Does anybody remember the name of this place?

• John Jonas says:

A couple favorite places that I’m not seeing here are The Cavalier inWestchester. It was a special occasion place for our family in the 60’s and a real emblem of that era. Another was the Black Whale in Venice. It was open late and had a great bar, beef stew and loads of beach characters. That was in the early 70’s for me and memories of Bloody Mary’s and late nights sobering up abound. I’d pay good money to go back in time and enjoy both places again.

• Bruce says:

Not sure if this counts, but does anyone remember the Sav-on drugstores’ ice cream counters? A small scoop of ice cream in a cone for a nickel a scoop back in the early 70s. I had a thrifty friend who used to argue that you should always buy two single scoop cones rather than a double, because that way you got an extra cone for free. He also bought expired salami at the supermarket and fried it so it was “safe”. As far as I can tell, he’s still alive.

• Don Droesch says:

Driving through Bob’s Big Boy looking for girls! What fun memories.

• Stephanie Buker says:

I am looking for any information on a restaurant in the Los Angeles area in the 1960s called the Rustic Room. It’s pertinent to finding my Biological Father who was supposedly part owner. Any info.

• Sherwin Cullison says:

I enjoyed the comments about Rudy’s Italian Inn. In 1956 and 1957 as a teen-ager I worked as a stockboy at the Newberry store at 3969 Crenshaw Blvd. I made very little money but every Saturday I would treat myself to lunch at Rudy’s. As a small-town boy (Inglewood) it seemed like a wondrous place to me.

Yo Stephen…1962! do you not remember Konditori (sp?) on a street parallel to the main Westwood drag? A narrow venue…mostly white, for coffee in white china cups and a Danish?

• STEPHEN FRIEDKIN says:

I AM TRYING TO RECALL THE NAME OF AN “AMERICAN DINER”I WORKED AT WHILE AT UCLA IN 1962.IT WAS LOCATED I BELIEVE JUST BEFORE THE INTERSECTION OF HIGHWAY 1 AND WEST SUNSET BLVD.,OR TEMESCAL CANYON RD.ACROSS THE WAY THERE WERE KIDS PLAYING VOLLEY BALL.IT MAYBE WHERE THE VON’S MARKET IS NOW.I RECALL SERVING LEE MARVIN AND DORIS DAY AS WELL AS OTHER CELEBRITIES.IT WAS REALLY FOR THE LOCALS AND WAS KNOWN FOR ITS CREAM PIES.I SO ENJOYED WORKING THERE.HOPEFULLY SOMEONE MAY RECALL THE NAME.

S. Ayers – I believe it was Stears for Steaks, east of Lincoln on Washington Blvd. That is about a 60 year old memory, so I might be off on the location. But I do remember the store,

• s. ayers says:

does anyone remember a Stears or Stearns for Steaks, around lincoln bvd; maybe venice???

• Mike Ramirez says:

What ever happen to Bengies restaurant on Brand Blvd, I know it was torn down in the late 80s. It was next door to the Chrysler auto dealership. As I understand the Glendale unified school district but the property bought it and use it as a parking lot.

​If I may Dennis…and if TRUTH be told….I really didn’t appreciate “a Drummer” when being at a ballroom dance like this http://tinyurl.com/c3wwfv6 while pressed belly to belly, when we’d be presented to someone doing a solo along with some of the other instruments! As such I hope Y’all will appreciate this Chico…http://tinyurl.com/gsmpahy that I now do/respect….​Perhaps y’all have a GR8 presentation !

• Dennis E Cheshire says:

I remember The Blarney Castle. I worked there playing the drums with a piano player (Henry Reiss) in 1969 & 1970. I was only 16, my first professional gig and the beginning of a wonderful 40 year career as a musician! Loved it there.

• Dan Callahan says:

I remember going to Bob’s Big Boy on La Cienega near Sawyer Ave. in the 70’s. According to Wikipedia, there are five restaurants still open, but this one closed some time back.

We used to go there for hamburgers and shakes, and we would always (presaging Bart Simpson) give them some goofy name so we could hear them announce, “Dingleballs, party of five, your table is ready.” Once the neighborhood got more dangerous and someone was shot at the Big Boy, that seemed to seal their fate.

Thanks Mark for the great Blog reference and especially the video therein about Philippe’s. While volunteering giving out tourist info, my 1st question is “Where ya from?” When the answer is anywhere LA…Tarzana, Rancho Cucamonga, etc.,… I ask “Where’s the best place to get a French Dip in LA?” and the answer 9/10 is Philippe’s.
    RE your Query: “Couldn’t someone have said, “Hey, I’ll bet this sandwich would taste better if I dipped the roll in the pan drippings”? Why is it always an accident?” One but wonders per observing where eggs come from, how it was we came to eating eggs. Elsewise, the modern day “accident” happening may have had roots from Charles Lamb ala http://tinyurl.com/yahzgb7c
    “Chow!” as we non-Italians are wont to say.

• The Management says:

Who says I haven’t been to Philippe’s? I’ve been there many times and I’ve even written about it on my other blog.

With due respect that Mark “discourages” restaurants herein that are still open, it boggles my mind that he has never been to this LA venue that 1) is 110 years old this year just down by Union Station and 2) is (per its claim) where the French Dip Sandwich was invented!
    Given so many Folks have moved away and with all due respect for writing “outside the box”, I can’t but help to think how de rigueur this place, still with sawdust on its floors around the communal tables, is now per offering us ex-pats this: http://tinyurl.com/ybawmsmu Imagine featuring that on1/1/20 in your abode when USC is in the Rose Bowl back in our podunk USA!!!! PS: In preparing your sandwich, don’t forget to DoubleDip! IMHO. Elsewise, Life doesn’t get any better than that!!!

• Dennis Kerr says:

Liu’s Szechuan Garden was on Rodeo Drive, between Dunhill’s and the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. It used to be Romanoff’s in the “glory days” of Hollywood. Laurie Liu and his family opened the restaurant in the early 70’s. My wife was one of the original non-Chinese servers. We became good friends of the family. “Mama and Pappa” Liu were the chefs. Exquisite Chinese cuisine. I’m not sure whatever happened to the restaurant or when it closed.

• Sylvia Johnson says:

To mj from your comment of October 29, 2018.
    I remember a place called Cafe Figaro, but there were 2 restaurants on that south side of Melrose between Robertson and StaMo. Cafe Fig was the more relaxed/casual place. LOVED it. Miss it.
    I always wonder if Figaro Bistrot in Los Feliz is its reincarnation. (But, Cafe Figaro did not have such a French atmosphere.)

Yo Nicole:
    Go here http://tinyurl.com/y85l4mt2
    In the upper right corner, click what kinda looks like this [ ] .
    Then click the + – to zoom in and out.
    Happy Holidays!

• Nicole says:

Does anyone know where the Garden District in West Hollywood was? Jim Morrison was interviewed there in December 1970. Thank you!

• Maria Haefeli Tafar says:

Picolo’s on Pico between Beverwil and Beverly was my dad’s restaurant! Opened in 1965, closed in 1985…small (seated 65) but always packed and always a wait…..soup, salad, entree, sides, dessert, all included, huge portions! My dad, Frank Haefeli, passed away sadly January 2017 at 91…..

I vaguely remember Rudy’s from the 1950s, if it was on Crenshaw Blvd., somewhere around Santa Barbara (now MLK Blvd). I don’t remember our family eating there, but I know t was in business a long time.

• Jeaneil bass says:

I worked at Rudy’s Italian Inn in the in 1970s WAS A HOSTESS AND THEN A WAITRESS,WAS THERE WHEN HE PASSED AWAY Flo was my Boss,when Rudy passed his 2 sisters took over they left it open for a while but then sold it,kept the crew on unitl sold, and it was turned IN 2 A NITE CLUB,after that i never went back,but i will say it was a great place 2 work was the kind a place u would have no reason to leave the crew were great lots of laughs,no one ever got 2 know what any of the ingredients,in the food only the kitchen crew new, sure wish i knew how 2 find out where the crew members were,i never heard any 1 say any thing bad about our food,they would bring there own pans in 2 by the sauce Sundays were the busyest,

• John Engstrom says:

Ray asked:
    Does anyone remember what the name of the restaurant was that is now occupied by Killer Shrimp in the Marina?

Answer: Waterfront Restaurant