Your Memories 01

This is the place to discuss restaurants that the proprietor of this blog never went to and therefore cannot write about.  Comments about restaurants that are open and operating are discouraged.

407 Responses to Your Memories 01

• howard koor says:

To:
    Maira Suro says:
    February 10, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Last question – did Wolfgang Puck have a restaurant on Beverly or Canon in the 90’s that went belly-up? Obviously not Spago
    =================================================
    Wolfgang did own a restaurant called Chinois in Santa Monica in the 80’s/90’s. thank you

GREAT WEBSITE!

• Alan Armstrong says:

I remember Karl’s restaurant at Flower/Figueroa/38th St. In the triangle. Mr. Karl had a small chain 3 or so restaurants. They served 1/2 pound hamburgers.

The steakhouse in Pasadena may have been Clearman’s. The owner lived in Naples (Long Beach) and had a house that looked out of the same design house as the restaurant.
    Others that are no longer there Old Hickory in Claremont and a seafood restaurant that started in Santa Barbara at the foot of the wharf. They also had on in Pasadena.

• Ivan The Terrible 1 says:

Does anyone remember the name of a well known South Pasadena Prime rib House that was famous for serving 2″ plus Prime Rib. It was an old time very elegant LA restaurant. First time I ever had Prime Rib. Kinda of a 60’s ~ 70’s style Monty’s Steak house very dark inside.

• Nancy Emery says:

Does anyone remember an Italian Restaurant, reservation only and no menu – many courses of whatever they fixed. It might have been on Pico Blvd and might have been in a house. A group of us who worked together near La Brea and Wilshire went there several times for special occasions in the mid 1960s.

• Gary Mortimer says:

Does anyone these days remember a few places that used to be on “restaurant row”, down La Cienega Blvd.?
    Like the Garden District and Oilver?

Also I know the Rainbow Bar & Grill is on the Sunset Strip, but it was the Villa Nova for a very LONG time before it moved to the beach area. When it closed, the location was called the Windjammer. I see tons of photos of both the Villa Nova and as the Rainbow Bar & Grill, but no pictures when it was the Windjammer

• sheila oakley says:

I’m looking for any information about the House of Murphy restaurant which was at Fourth and La Cienega, particularly the years it was operating. I have some celebrity-signed plates which feature a cartoon figure and are signed by Bob Murphy on the back. My grandfather was in the restaurant supply business from the 30s?-60s and obtained these plates, I’m guessing, when House of Murphy when out of business. Thanks!

• Tammy says:

Anyone know of a restaurant in the Santa Monica or Venice beach area that was all american themed where you were order a family meal and they would bring it out on a plank filled with ribs, chicken, fish, etc? In the 1980s

• Sherry says:

About Gooey Louie’s in Culver City: It was 1974 or 75 we bought the char broiler place, it served Hickory Burger, Okie Burger, Cesar Burger, Veggie Burger, L.A. Burger and Chili Cheese Burger, also snappy hot dogs. : ) We sold it because the coming of our 2nd child. The new owner couldn’t took the inquisitive non stop inquiries from clients that wanted to know the whereabouts of us so he sold either sold it in 4 months or closed the store. : )

• Lorenzo Boido says:

Kiko’s on Victory in Burbank! My brother and I still wax misty-eyed thinking about their salsa.

• Lady Jane says:

Anyone remember the Mexican restaurant that was on Ocean Park in Santa Monica Near Centinela? Later turned into a CoCo’s.

• Lisa says:

Can anyone give me the name a a tiny Japanese restaurant on Pico Blvd.,
    just west of Westwood Blvd., on the South side of the street in approx. 1989-1992?

• Kelly Reagan says:

How about The Old World restaurant in Westwood? I was a bartender back then in the early 90s. Would love to touch base with anyone who worked there or was a regular.

• Lucas says:

When I was kids in the 1980s, my family would visit a restaurant called “The Good Earth.” It was a strange health food type of restaurant. I remember getting some weird sandwich there. I also remember how strange and unique the ambiance was. It located off of Nordoff, between Corbin and Tampa, and was located next to the grand-prix racing place.

I would love to see a write up about this place.

• Bob Alexander says:

Trying to recall the name of a restaurant, actually two with the same name. One was located in WeHo, the other on Ventura Blvd. near Coldwater Canyon in the valley. It was definitely upscale. Their vibe was a lot of white with green accents. Great food! Help!

• KAREN BARTON says:

I loved The Black Whale seafood restaurant in Marina del Rey. We waited 2 hours to get a table there, as they didn’t accept reservations. The bar was packed (it had a reputation as a watering hole), so we actually had appetizers at a Mexican place down the street. The wait was worth it: huge portions of delicious seafood. The King Crab legs were enormous!

• Bill Recdiver says:

RE: Steve T Jan 25 post: DiVita’s Italian was on the s/e side of Wilshire past Bundy next to Odyssey Video. La Barbera’s was on the n/e side Wilshire not far from Bundy Dr. I ate there a few times & it was good! When they closed (+30 yrs ago?) i know there was a mexican restaurant for a short while which i didn’t check out. However i ate across the street on the s/e side at DiVita’s which was THE bomb (imho) for 35+ years!! They just closed roughly 5 yrs. ago. I loved Harry’s Open Pit (on Sepulveda near Ohio)& The Omelette Parlor on Main St. in Ocean Park!!

• Ken says:

A friend just asked me about a menu item called a Mintz burger at a resturant near the Formosa Cafe?

• Carolyn Smith says:

Steve T [Jan 25, 2020]

LaBarbera’s ?

• Maira Suro says:

So fun to walk down memory lane! Does anyone remember a restaurant in BH on Beverly in the 90’s that had like an old-school Ricky Ricardo vibe, with restaurant downstairs and club upstairs? I think it’s where Avra currently is on West side of the street.

Also..another one on the East side of Beverly in BH (not that far up from Wilshire) that had a long bar as you walked in to the left and stairs to the right that led to tables upstairs. It was sorta a powerhouse place for Hollywood execs.

On occasion, I’ve asked, without success, herein and elsewhere, if anyone remembers a Carl’s, which, if re-imaged correctly, was a drive-in and had a low lit, alcohol serving, inner lounge, on Figueroa about Exposition. Serendipitously!!! I ran this vid https://tinyurl.com/ubn7z6f and found the very 1st pic confirming my fuzzy memory a bit…LOL…as a Trojan circa ’60. Elsewise, I wondered if it was maybe an initial “Carl’s Jr.”. Alas, it doesn’t seem so per https://tinyurl.com/sl5e5tg . Interestingly, the “Jr.” is not a person but a smaller version of their original drive-in…LOL
    Elsewise, as I presume most Looky-Lous here are…of an age…the rest of the vid might have a pic or two of the past that might be found of interest!

Ok Deb S. …how about a mem of Lawry’s Spinning Bowl Salad  https://tinyurl.com/wwt3qkx  OMG, did  I forget the frozen forks? Don’t forget the Sorbet that was served as a palate cleanser!
    [Aaah yes. Who can forget Special Occasions? Caution: A few F-Bombs https://tinyurl.com/w6smepf …with accents that some might suggest that these aren’t genteel Californians of the ’60s (see cell phones being used), but possibly transplants from Back East(?)…LOL
    Konditori? My mem was there was one in Westwood Village. It was pretty narrow 15 (?) ft wide; all in white with 2-tops on one side, display cases/register on the other side. Just served pastries and one type of coffee in white china cups (not mugs) and just pastries. Fuzzy mem is it was on a street that paralleled the main St. and led up to the side of a Bullocks? LOL

• Deborah says:

This is to: Lisa oct 9, 2017 question about a restaurant that was up a driveway on Pico just outside of Beverly Hills on north side of Pico and called Willards. American style fried Chicken back in the 1950’s. I believe it is now a hotel.
    Hope this helps

• Deborah Stack says:

Does anyone remember Patrones on Restaurant Row in the early 1960’s. It was in a stucco house on the west side of North La Ciengea. It was across the street from a nightclub called The Losers. I think it closed down in the mid 1970’s. Up or down the street was of course Lawrys. Also does anyone remember Captains Table on La Ciengea near the Beverly Center Shopping Mall, Albertos on Melrose, Konditori in Beverly Hills, Knolls Black Forest Inn in Santa Monica on Wilshire Blvd and there was a French Restaurant I think it was called St. Germain not the bookstore, but might have used the name.

• Bob Palmer says:

Does anyone recall a Halal Chinese restaurant on South Pacific Coast Hwy in Redondo Beach in the 1970s-1980s?

• Bob Palmer says:

Does anyone recall an Italian delicatessen, maybe Martini’s, in Inglewood?

• Bob Palmer says:

Answered my own question from 09/09/2019 6:51P
    The restaurant with the trains circulating on the overhead tracks on Stocker St at the SW corner of S La Brea Ave was Poor Richard’s.

• Bob Palmer says:

Does anyone recall a Mexican restaurant from the 1960s-1970s on N La Brea Ave or N Market St, east side of the street in Inglewood?

• Bob Palmer says:

Does anyone remember an Italian restaurant on the east side of Sawtelle Blvd near Culver/Washington in Culver City?

• Bob Palmer says:

Kathy S. from 09/23/2019 3:30P
    Thanks for recalling Latitude 20

• Bob Palmer says:

Mike McDonald from 09/02/2019 1:33P
    Thanks for recalling Bay 90s.

• Patti deFur Padgett says:

We went to the Nine Muses often in the 60s. They had a gourmet dinner in 1967 and I still have the menu. It was $17 each, and I thought that so extravagant!! Harley White had done the nine courses of the dinner menu in verse. She and husband Bill were the chefs: he followed the book, she added creative touches. They usually walked among the patrons and chatted. It was charming and we loved it.

• Steve T says:

Anyone remember the name of an Italian restaurant that was I believe on the northwest corner of Wilshire and Barrington, or Bundy, in the 70’s?? They had pretty good deep dish pizza. Thank you.

Yo John H…Thank you!….I can always count on you…one way or another…to confirm postings are read…LOL I’ve chided Mark to add, at his convenience, to his “About This Site”‘s intro, a request that if a Reader asks a question that they make a point to revisit the site to see if someone attempted to answer their query and to acknowledge that in some way. Alas, in reading his “About This Site”, one can see he has his own problems in getting Folks to best use the site…LOL  God/gawd bless him for his “patience” as well as sharing his time/talent in maintaining the site.
    Alas: I’m thinking that many who come upon/read the site are a bit “seasoned”. As such, many of “them” just probably “forget” to check back to see if anyone’s tried to answer their query…LOL
    Elsewise, Best Wishes for the New Year!

• Brian Cuban says:

Elizabeth (Allen) Sheiman: In 1979 my best friend and I took a Trailways Bus from Pittsburgh to L.A. We stayed at Sterns Motel on Washington Blvd. We walked over to Gooey Louies every evening for dinner. Loved the Gooey and Vegas Burgers!

Bob of the Village of Los Ranchos (NM) – That is exactly The Nine Muses of which we write, thank you. BUT I would have been more impressed had you found the actual posts. :>)

• Linda Rombach says:

Does anyone remember the name of a restaurant in Brentwood and also in Santa Monica that served healthy food not vegetarian but healthy in the 80’s and earlier?

John/Maureen: Don’t know if this https://tinyurl.com/v4t6uoz is relevant; have no other info.

Maureen Jones – The Nine Muses has been discussed on Old Restaurants, but not on its own thread. I am one of those posters, but that was quite aways back, and you’d have to do a lot of scrolling.

Muses was an upscale restaurant at popular prices. It was a place to impress a date without going broke. They played soft classical music and the menu was done in fancy italics (that got me into trouble one time). The chef’s creations were often very imaginative, the food, very good.

• Jeff Holtzman says:

Ah yes…The Fox Inn. Bill would drink a beer standing on his head and of course embarrass anyone who was going to the sand box during his “performance”.

• Maureen Jones says:

I went to a restaurant in Los Angeles called The Nine Muses. That was in1964. Anyone remember it?

• Donette says:

Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant that was on the corner of Imperial Hwy and Figueroa, across the street from Avacado Corner market in the early 70’s?

• Pete Puma says:

Technically I suppose it wasn’t a restaurant, but does anyone remember The Fox Inn Beer Garden & Rathskeller in Santa Monica? I spent many an evening there singing along to Bill “The Fox” Foster’s bawdy tunes.

• Elaine Katz says:

Does anyone remember “Brightwater Café it was on Olive, just s. of Sunset bl. & across from ‘The Comedy Store”? i worked there in the’73, ’74. they were open ’til 4a.m. & catered to a variety of people. it was owned by Linda & Terry Keegan, who worked there along w/a daughter or 2. it was very casual & lots of fun. it was a large restaurant, 2 rms & they provide checkers & chess boards. i remember Murry Langston, who was also known as ‘The Unknown Comic” & he wore a paperbag over his head..remember? one night he gave me his ‘koa nut’ necklace, i still have it.

• Elaine katz says:

this is great! i remember so many of these places & this really brings me back. i remember ‘Café Figaro’ in WHO. i think they were known for their sangria & the enormous brown bread…DELISH! i went there, at night it was very very noisy, kind of like a big party with great food & great people. many memories.

• Elaine Katz says:

in RESPONSE to ROBBY…i worked @ ‘The Bratskellar” in Beverly Hills on Doheny. i think it was the 1st one. i later worked at the one in WW & the Marina. i remember that German dish w/the yellow cheese.

• Elaine Katz says:

to Tammy…the restaurant on Melrose & La Brea was called “Via Fetticini” (sp). I remember it well.

• Nancy says:

Can anyone remember the name of southwestern restaurant that was in Terroni space on Beverly Blvd.

• Sharon Fulleeton says:

One more fond memory…Bess Eiler’ s Steak House….either on Wilshire Blvd. or Santa Monica Blvd…Great steaks…

• Sharon Fulleeton says:

Also used to eat at the Ontra cafeterias in Hollywood and Lis Angeles…Vine street, Wilshire Blvd. Western Ave, Crenshaw Blvd…

• Sharon Fulleeton says:

My family used to frequent a restaurant in the mid 50’s called Edward’s Steak House…it was on Alvarado between 7th & 8th…had wonderful steaks and toasters on the table with applebutter…wonderful food…